Dirtyhands001

Jul 8, 2013
Canada
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of the best metal detecting tips given by some of the best in the hobby. If your a beginner and just learning how to metal detect I am sure you will enjoy these tips. We have Dave Wise, Thiltzy Todd Hiltz, Jeff Fisher from treasure facts, Brandon Dr. Tones 24k, Frank W Pandozzi and Charles Ronayne from the Stealth Diggers. I hope some of these great tips help you. We will release part 2 The best of DigTips next week.

1."Don't get frustrated when you start, be patient and persistent". by Dave Wise

2."Slow down, go slow" by Dave Wise, Todd Hiltz, Jeff Fisher

3."remember it's not always treasure so be patient"by Dave Wise

4. "Hunting a site in more than one way. Try using different setting on your machine and swing the same areas. You could pick up things up that were being masked by iron". by Todd Hiltz

5."Make sure your coil is flat to the ground". You will get better depth and miss less targets" Jeff Fisher

6."How to ask permissions to metal detect private property, First thing, make sure to leave your equipment in the car". by Brandon Ray Niece aka Dr. Tones from his book The Metal Detecting Bible

7. "When your asking for a new permission make sure your not in your old dirty ripped up digging cloths or holding something in your hands looking like a salesman. clean casual is best". Brandon Ray Niece aka Dr. Tones from his book The Metal Detecting Bible

8. "Make sure to take two steps backwards from the door after knocking, give them space." Brandon Ray Niece Dr. Tones aka from his book The Metal Detecting Bible

9. "It doesn't matter how much you pay for your machine, what's important is learning it. Dominique Ivy Da Silva from The SilverSlingers

10. "Exploring a new cellar site, When exploring we look for things out of the ordinary. Like seeing a big maple in the middle of no where, depressions in the ground, pieces of glass or pottery shards, or a plant called Myrtle Perry Winkle, they used this plant as ground cover. It helped stop erosion". by Frank W. Pandozzi

12. "Be good to each other, share what you learn and what you know". by Charles Ronayne from the Stealth Diggers.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that was deep..

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To make great things it matters not the quality or quantity of tools in a toolbox but the skilled hands that use them that comes from knowledge and experience. This comes from Patience, Persistence and Determination. If you demonstrate those three traits, the rest will come. Learn your equipment, practice with it, master it and you can be successful in this hobby. All that and of course 'research' but practice first.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I'll add another bullet the list. "Paint the ground." Be thorough. The place might large but fish tailing to cover it all will lose many targets and a friend will ask you, "How did you miss this?"

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are two rules for success metal detecting:

1) Turn your machine on and use it as much as you can.

2) If you stop having a good time, if it stops being fun, quit for the day.

That's it. That is all you really have to know. :occasion14:

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll add: if hunting in bear or Wild Boar country make sure you are digging with someone who runs slower than you.

OP
OP
Dirtyhands001

Dirtyhands001

Jul 8, 2013
Canada
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol thank you for all the comments and laughs! For me #1 is having fun!

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decide what you are going to try and find. Then get a detector that is designed for that type of hunting. Buy the best you can afford. Learn your machine and don't give up until you have at least 200 hours on it. By then, you'll know two things..... how the machines works, and if metal detecting is something you want to continue doing.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tip.
When hunting near homes,check that object detected ( before recovery) does not extend many feet before stabbing a recovery tool into it.
Shallow buried electrical wires exist. Don't ask how I know.....

Good to see a post from you Dirtyhands. Great tips.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never know what's there until you swing your coil over it.

The more you swing the coil the more you find.

OP
OP
Dirtyhands001

Dirtyhands001

Jul 8, 2013
Canada
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tip.
When hunting near homes,check that object detected ( before recovery) does not extend many feet before stabbing a recovery tool into it.
Shallow buried electrical wires exist. Don't ask how I know.....

Good to see a post from you Dirtyhands. Great tips.

Eeeee lol we dug one once, it may have been just a cable but it's one of those times you decide to metal detect the side yard instead :) nice to hear from you as well RC!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like the change settings suggestion, change sweep speed. Everybody says "Go slow", but that is not always the best way. Newer detectors say swing at three feet per second. That seems very fast but many good targets will shine brighter. So sometimes you gotta go against the old school thinking.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't wear steel toe shoes while detecting.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best advice I can give as there is competition out there is to look where others have not or would not look.

OP
OP
Dirtyhands001

Dirtyhands001

Jul 8, 2013
Canada
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best advice I can give as there is competition out there is to look where others have not or would not look.

Really good point, often we find more in the harder areas to detect. Especially in the well hunted sites. We will then focus on the harder areas like the brush, side of hills, between saplings, etc. Those harder to reach sites often yield more finds.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Really good point, often we find more in the harder areas to detect. Especially in the well hunted sites. We will then focus on the harder areas like the brush, side of hills, between saplings, etc. Those harder to reach sites often yield more finds.

True for us beach and surf guys, too. I found a great beach to detect that had 3 miles of hotels and private homes but no public parking and very limited beach access. Basically, you couldn't drive and park there to detect, so, I had my wife drop me off and pick me up. I swear, long stretches hadn't been hunted for a season or more. That is also why I hunt the surf, for some reason people are hesitant to hunt the water just because of sharks, jellyfish, red tide, and don't forget the stingrays.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tip is...... DO NOT get into detecting!!! It's worse than being a drug addict! The more you find the more you want. You're looking for that next rush. Not being able to get out to search gives you withdrawls. During the winter storms ALL you can think about is that next fix. Once you start you'll never be able to quit.

You think I'm kidding? Do you get the shakes when you find gold or silver? Yup! You're hooked my friend.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirtyhands, Your tips & all the above comments are all good. The only thing I can offer is this one thing I always try to keep in mind, "The most valuable thing I have ever found while treasure hunting is piece-of-mind" quote by Andy Sabisch -----and by the way, boogeyman is SO right.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread