Just joined site. Advice on which detector for getting started.

lesorubcheek

Feb 11, 2017
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking here for a few days and decided it was time to join. Looking for advice on which detector to buy to get started. I live in Florida on the Gulf coast, but don't just want to hunt the beach for coins, also want to use it inland for relics. Been researching for a while now and am leaning toward either an AT Pro or a Teknetics Omega 8000. I realize people say neither of these will work great in the salt water (need a PI machine instead of VLF), but I'll be content to at least look around in the dry sand. Again I want it for inland too. They both ground balance which is a plus, otherwise I may think of starting with an Ace 350 or the new 400. Both have nice target ID capability and discrimination.

I realize the Omega 8000 is discontinued and replaced with the 8500, but most people say they preferred the 8000 anyways. There's some 8000s around at not bad prices, but truth is I really kinda like the AT Pro a bit better. I like that its waterproof, and the handle of the 8000 really looks flimsy. I also like the idea of 4 AAs instead of a 9V battery. After watching videos, I kinda like the sounds of the Garrett a little better too. Problem here though is I'm also hearing the AT Pro may be updated or a new model added very soon with wireless, backlighting, and maybe other features. I really hate to pull the trigger on a new AT Pro and next week or next month the updated model comes out and prices for the present ones drop like a rock and I'm saying why didn't I just wait a little longer!

Guess I'm just looking to see if anybody has words of wisdom that may help make a decision. Looks like a lot of very knowledgeable people here so thought it best to consult those who've been in the situation before.
Thanks,
Dan

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can hit the beach, you're going to regret not being able to detect in the water. Winter time after the storms and hurricanes in Flordia you're going to want to be able to find all that recently uncovered treasure, especially on tourist beaches. Especially since no one is on the dry sand in the winter, thats half the beach season where you can't use your machine.

Just my opinion. I've had my detector for about a month now, and every time I dig at the beach I wish my VLF worked better in the wet sand.

OP
OP
L

lesorubcheek

Feb 11, 2017
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Goldfleks, you're probably right, but it really sounds like I'd need two detectors. Being new to this, I wanted the target ID capabilities of a VLF, hence my two present choices. Had hopes that VLFs that ground balanced may be somewhat usable on wet sand, but with no experience I can only go by what others say. Some people say that is can work and others say it won't. There are numerous sites inland that I'd like to explore, so kinda don't want to just start out with a PI.
Dan

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buy a Tesoro Sand Shark ,this is a pulse induction unit that is well built ,powerful and has a lifetime warranty.It is my go-to detector most of the time. I also have a Whites Dual Field PI and a Whites MXSport both of which may be up for sale soon because the Sand Shark seems to work for me in all situations except park hunting and I don't want to become a detector collector.If you're going to hunt in the salt water you need a pulse or dual frequency detector.I used to have a Fisher CZ - 20 that worked fine but it wasn't as sensitive to small low conductors and on the dry beach or land it was a little heavy.If I wanted just a simple all around turn on and go unit mostly for land hunting I'd take a serious look at the new Tesoro Mohave.Look at some detector videos on you-tube to get a better idea of what is out there.Please note that many inland sites are pretty clean as far as pull-tabs and bottle caps so a PI unit would work just fine and get more depth than a VLF.The biggest mistake I've made with treasure hunting is buying so many different detectors over 25 years ,hoping with each new detector that I would have something more powerful, sensitive or versatile than the last one. I love my Sand Shark.

356rmb

Jan 16, 2017
NEPA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT/MAX, APEX, ACE 350 WITH A DD COIL,TEKNETICS DELTA 4000,
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I JUST WANT TO SAY WELCOME . AND JUST MY OPINION I HAVE A GARRETT ACE 350 AND A GARRETT AT PRO PIN POINTER MY 350 I LOVE IT.
IT TAKES A LOT OF PRACTICE WITH GETTING THE TONES DOWN. I DID A LOT OF LOOKING AROUND AND WATCHING A LOT OF YOUTUBE VIDEOS A LOT OF PEOPLE SAY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE GARRETT PRODUCTS ME BEING ONE OF THEM
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU . GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUY . LET ME JUST ADD ONE MORE THING THIS IS A GREAT HOBBY AND LOADS OF FUN RICH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking here for a few days and decided it was time to join. Looking for advice on which detector to buy to get started. I live in Florida on the Gulf coast, but don't just want to hunt the beach for coins, also want to use it inland for relics. Been researching for a while now and am leaning toward either an AT Pro or a Teknetics Omega 8000. I realize people say neither of these will work great in the salt water (need a PI machine instead of VLF), but I'll be content to at least look around in the dry sand. Again I want it for inland too. They both ground balance which is a plus, otherwise I may think of starting with an Ace 350 or the new 400. Both have nice target ID capability and discrimination.

I realize the Omega 8000 is discontinued and replaced with the 8500, but most people say they preferred the 8000 anyways. There's some 8000s around at not bad prices, but truth is I really kinda like the AT Pro a bit better. I like that its waterproof, and the handle of the 8000 really looks flimsy. I also like the idea of 4 AAs instead of a 9V battery. After watching videos, I kinda like the sounds of the Garrett a little better too. Problem here though is I'm also hearing the AT Pro may be updated or a new model added very soon with wireless, backlighting, and maybe other features. I really hate to pull the trigger on a new AT Pro and next week or next month the updated model comes out and prices for the present ones drop like a rock and I'm saying why didn't I just wait a little longer!

Guess I'm just looking to see if anybody has words of wisdom that may help make a decision. Looks like a lot of very knowledgeable people here so thought it best to consult those who've been in the situation before.
Thanks,
Dan

If you're only going to choose between those two, I'd get the AT Pro. You can use it at a salt water beach, you'll just have to run it in standard mode and turn down the sensitivity. You'll lose some depth that way, but, it will work. If you choose to upgrade later, the AT Pro holds it's value better than the Omega.

OP
OP
L

lesorubcheek

Feb 11, 2017
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a while, but finally have my first detector. Thanks for all who offered advice. A local listing had been up for a while for a Whites MX Sport. Finally contacted the seller and now I have a new toy. Just couldn't commit to an AT Pro thinking an update is eminent. This one appears to have the updated firmware (relic mode SAT goes to 8) and there's no sign of any cracks around the faceplate which are the 2 main issues it seems people have encountered with the MX Sport. Anyway, now I have to learn to use it. So far found one dime in the backyard along with a bunch of trash. Need to figure out what I'm doing wrong because alot of trash is popping up saying nickel, penny or quarter in the coin and jewelry mode. Lots to learn and so little time in a day to do it.

Dan

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to figure out what I'm doing wrong because a lot of trash is popping up saying nickel, penny or quarter in the coin and jewelry mode. Lots to learn and so little time in a day to do it.

Download the manual from Whites it will help a bit. You're not doing anything wrong. All the detector can do is guess what's in the ground. If the MX Sport is anything like my MXT, it should have a bar that indicates the probability of how sure it is what it is. 25% 50% and 100%. If it's a full bar and coming up a quarter every time you swipe over it, chances are pretty good it's a quarter. But sometimes it's still a bottle cap.

I'm not sure if it applies to the MX Sport, but there is a book called The MXT Edge by Jeff Foster that might give you some insight on what your detector is telling you. That or watch some YouTube video's and join us in the Whites section of the forum.

But the biggest thing is time on your machine learning the tones.

Good luck! Make sure you have a good digging tool and learn how to cut flaps not plugs and how to coin pop when you are detecting public parks, and get a good sand scoop for the beach.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on your new detector.
I just wanted to add I've sold off 3 ATP's and kept my Omega 8000.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and hello. You ask the number one question we all have asked at one time it seems. There is a search function that will help you research. If you want a light very easy to use detector that will find stuff, I know the AT Pro will work. Good luck.

PS> Dont overlook the F19 and F44 from First Texas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions