Cheap control housing cover for an ACE 250

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Was out in the front yard for a few minutes the other day just after 6" of snow had melted. My fingers got a little muddy from digging around in the bottom of the holes and I didn't want to mess up the new detector and didn't want to carry around an old towel to wipe my hands on continually. I ran in the house and got a standard size sandwhich bag and it fits right over the control housing, if it gets dirty or tears, I'll put a new one on at a cost of about a penny each.

Dudes

Attachments

• garrett.JPG
    garrett.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 755
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Yep, that will do it...
I've had my CZ-3D rapped up since I've had it. I do a lot of detecting in the light rain.
Only problem I've seen with it, is the plastic puts tiny scratches on the surface of the unit, where it rubs continuously...
I think I would rather put up with the small scratches, as I would want the crud to get inside the detector...
When the plastic gets holes in it, I either tape it up, or put a new piece on.
Good tip, I'm sure it will help others with some of their rain/mud problems...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did pretty much the same thing in a light rain except I ruberbanded the loose end because an occasional gust of wind tried to blow it off. Works great!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a similar thing with my IDX pro. Only the display needed covering. A sandwich bag and rubberband worked nicely. The main control box is water resistant. Only the speaker hole needs covering. I use some thick film plastic cut to size. It clings electrostatically to the case so it does not leave a sticky residue. Woks well but I still don,t stay out in a driving rain long. Don't want to tempt the gods. By the way Dude, how do you like the ACE 250 ?

Ed Donovan

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How do you like that machine by the way?

Corey

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Only been out for a short amount of time so far this year, don't want to damage the ground by using an ice pick! Anyway, so far I think the ACE is great. The only thing I've noticed so far is the sensitivity, it needs cranked way down to run properly. Once you have that set at about 4 bars, it's golden.

Dudes

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats a great idea for bringing your detector to the beach! to keep the sand out of the housing.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Good inexpensive idea. Have seen and used plastic grocery sacks. Just have to remember to take them off when you get home or possibility of condensation building up and starts corroding areas not meant for moisture.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hollowpointred said:
thats a great idea for bringing your detector to the beach! to keep the sand out of the housing.
I do the same for the beach. Salt air is highly corrosive. I take the two screws out of the bottom of my Ace and screw them right through the ziplock bag, with the opening down. It fits better that way. I havent noticed a condensation problem. The bag remains open on the bottom all the time for the cable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread