Where are the new machines????

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Well here we are with spring right around the corner. So where are the new machines? ML with some gold machine, and Tesoro with another box machine(I guess these can't fail when you build on top of proven platforms) I say BIG DEAL! Where is the real innovation? Where is the machine that makes us go, "WOW"? If they are planning a march release, then I guess they haven't learned from other companies, which released machines in the spring time. I say it time and time again, release in September. And what about the Deus? My father's theory was they were waiting to see what is coming out. Disappointments all around.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they came out with a new detector every 6 months the others would just set on the shelves. Besides, tech doesn't improve that fast. If it did, we'd have them digging the coins by now!

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus pinpointer and HF 9" coil is supposed to be available in the US in March. The HF elliptical coil is supposed to be available in May. Pre orders for the pinpointer are happening now. Having said that v.4 software should be available for download in concert with the pinpointer release.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many ways can you detect a quarter 6" down? Depth is the big deal, and probably the hardest way to improve a detector. Waves can only penetrate so far into the earth.

I am however suprised (not surprised) that new machines don't cover wider range frequencies. I'm sure it's a marketing thing. But I was thinking about my MXT and the GMT and wondering why there isn't a detector that can in 2017 flip from a low-frequency VLF to a high-frequency VLF. Other than marketing and wanting me to buy 2 detectors instead of one.

I'm sure the processing power is here to the point where if it was a coil limitation at least let me swap the coils between hot small gold coils and better depth coils on the same machine. Still bells and whistles I know.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The xp Deus can operate in 4, 8, 12, 18 Khz. When the new HF coils are released it will be able to also operate at 14, 30, 59, and 81 kHz.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Deus pin pointer appears to be a nice design. Being able to sync it with the main detector and hear the sounds through the headphones is something that I think will be very popular. Kind of a wireless version of the SunRays. I predict that the next big innovation will be in target I.D. If items can be definitely identified by metal type, that would be a game changer.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not gonna lie.. that DEUS sounds more and more juicy every day.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. If they were multifrequency and waterproof, I'd be using one on the beach right now! I might still get one for land use. I like a lot of their design and their light weight.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not upgrading anymore until they come out with a machine that displays an actual 3D image of what's under the coil. Kind of like an ultra sound detector.:tongue3:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking the physics involved limits new, better machine design. Realistically there are already enough decent detector choices available to make choosing difficult for a newbies.
luvdus

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not gonna lie.. that DEUS sounds more and more juicy every day.

I have been looking into them due to their weight. They appear to be nice detectors. My E-Trac keeps my arm strong though.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to play with a Garrett Ace250 yesterday as it was my friend's detector, and I thought I was using a kids detector. The whole thing just felt cheaply made and way overpriced at $250 that Garrett wants for it. Especially for tech that's been out since 2005? It just seems like when they released the 350 in 2010, that the 250 should have dropped in price and the 350 available for the $250. Instead, they just tacked on another hundred bucks.

So I'm not really shocked there are knockoffs of these kinds of detectors. My Whites MXT feels rugged and well made. The Ace250 looks and feels like a child's toy. I really was shocked that she paid $250 for it. The price points of the knockoffs feel more in line with what these should retail for from Garrett new.

Maybe it's just the perception and the switch from metal to injection molded plastic. Arguably it's lighter and less fatigue so it's a "design" choice. It's also cheaper to make so the profit margin is larger. But I can't help the feeling that I wouldn't be getting value for my money if I purchased on of these at full retail.

In 2016 for $250 I should be getting Bluetooth headphones standard on all models (with the option to hard wire), some form of integration with my phone/tablet/PC that tracks finds with GPS coordinates standard on a base level "Garrett 450" (to go with the 5-year cycle). Waterproof to 10' STANDARD, so if I drop it in the creek/beach/spill a drink it's not ruined. LED Flashlight and backlit LED Screen. It really feels like there is ZERO reason to buy one of these newer entry level detectors when I can scoop up a gently used MXT for $300 off Craigslist and it has the same features as the 350 plus extra coils, plus additional modes of opperation and also feels well built and made to last.

Sure I can get these "modern" features on the DeusXP but as a newbie to detecting, and as someone who wasn't sure if they are going to like detecting, that's a big chunk of cash for me to frontload on my first detector. Why are entry level detectors in 2016 still the same as they were 10 years ago? I really felt like I was going back in time when I looked at all modern $500-$600 ish range detectors. Literally, none of them have features that I'm USED to having on pretty much ALL of my modern "tech" toys that cost much less. Which is why I ultimately decided to go with a USED MXT rather than buying something like a Garrett AT Pro, or a Racer2. I didn't feel like I was losing out on much of anything by purchasing an older model detector for half the price. I had the cash to spend, but after comparing the models I really don't feel like I'm missing out on a "first detector." I'm sure I would have been just as happy with a Garrett 250/350, but again, there wasn't enough difference to buy new retail, vs used.

I would of totally looked at a 2016 detector if it had felt more modern than the Original MXT. But they really don't. It just really suprises me that in 2016 every detector isn't wireless with tablet/phone integration from entry level, to top end.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only real innovation I see coming is from Whites. They are supposedly going to put out a discriminating pulse induction machine. Not the crap that is out now that only changes the pulse width. An actual PI that will send the signal back through a vlf type discriminator and give the user more info.
At first I thought it was going to be a 2 part machine that allows you to "toggle" between PI and VLF in order to check however from what I'm being told it will work as one. So the depth of a PI with the discriminating capability of a vlf.
Sounds good to me.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
A PI machine with disc would be a very good thing.

I would buy one of those.

lesorubcheek

Feb 11, 2017
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to play with a Garrett Ace250 yesterday as it was my friend's detector, and I thought I was using a kids detector. The whole thing just felt cheaply made and way overpriced at $250 that Garrett wants for it. Especially for tech that's been out since 2005?
I would of totally looked at a 2016 detector if it had felt more modern than the Original MXT. But they really don't. It just really suprises me that in 2016 every detector isn't wireless with tablet/phone integration from entry level, to top end.

Thanks for the post. This really helps put a new perspective on my thoughts for getting a first detector. After researching for a good while, I'd really been leaning toward an AT Pro, but you're right, this is really old technology. For this much money, they really should have more features. And if the AT Pro2 or whatever it'll be called does ever come out with wireless headphones and backlight, the price will be significantly higher than the present model. It just doesn't seem worth it. I think I'm going to start looking more into what's available on the used market for a higher-end unit.

Dan

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post. This really helps put a new perspective on my thoughts for getting a first detector. After researching for a good while, I'd really been leaning toward an AT Pro, but you're right, this is really old technology. For this much money, they really should have more features. And if the AT Pro2 or whatever it'll be called does ever come out with wireless headphones and backlight, the price will be significantly higher than the present model. It just doesn't seem worth it. I think I'm going to start looking more into what's available on the used market for a higher-end unit.

Dan

I tend to agree with your assessment. I think I read that it would be in the $800 range. Keep researching and visit the various brand forums on this site and decide what features are important to you as it relates to the type of hunting you plan on doing. Maybe the ATP2 will end up being the right detector for you...maybe it won't when compared to what's already out there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my age, a machine that will suck that target right out of the ground would be high on my list! :laughing7:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a GPS coordinate of every target your detector hits with a VDI number would be great. Which you could then through Bluetooth connect to an app on your phone that has like a google maps type interface so you could have a visual indication of every target you passed over that day. This would just be a passive setting. You could then toggle "dig/find" and record what you pulled from the ground that day as well as what it was in relation to the type of signal if you so choose.

You could then search through similar VDI numbers and find targets that you passed over that you DIDN'T dig that matched the good signals that you pulled from the ground earlier that day. Allowing you to either go back to that target and dig it before you leave, or hit it on another trip. Maybe you were in a really trashy area and the coil logged 3x targets in one area but in the moment you only noticed the pull tab. Later you search your log of detected targets and notice you missed a coin because of the proximity of the other targets.

It would also help with gridding out an area and finding any spots you neglected to detect because there are no recorded targets in that area.

Stuff like this I'm really surprised isn't built into new detectors. The fact they don't have integration (to my understanding) with phones/tablets/PC's is really surprising. Especially with the ability to combine with GPS to really give you a visual perspective of what is going on in the ground around you. But done in a passive background "auto-collect" sort of a way so you don't have to manually push a button (unless you want to be more specific about what you found) each time you hit a target.

I just think there is a lot of software improvements that could be designed to improve what the hardware is detecting. If the way we are searching the ground isn't improving dramatically, at least the software that supports us in the field could help us better analyze and record what we are looking at.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread