Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it that this is a good sign this park hasn't been recently detected? They all come out of the ground copper colored, so they are modern clad quarters. I can't read the date on most of them. These we're found around park benches and cooking areas, so I figure these spots would be the "go-to" spots when someone first hits the park.

How long does a quarter take to lose its shine?

Upvote 0

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Depends on what kind of dirt you have in your area. In sandy conditions, a quarter, dime or nickel can be shiny for better than two weeks. In clay/black gumbo, it can be as little as a week before the coin is a dark gray and has lost all luster. I mainly hunt parks and will hit the high traffic areas first. As I make more trips back, I start detecting in places like around the picnic tables and benches. I do this because there is always more trash around the tables and benches. It doesn't mean that there is less coins there, it just means you need to listen more carefully because of the trash and masking. You are doing just fine.

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are your ideas of high traffic areas? I figured the benches would be high traffic. And I completely agree about the trash. I found a bunch of quarters today mainly because I got sick of digging tabs and canslaw and pushed up my discrimination and kinda cherry picked the quarters from the area. I'm sure there is pennys nickels and dimes there too, I just didn't have the patience to dig all the trash targets today.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have found quarters that are 2010-1966 that had the same appearance .... depends a lot on the ground conditions.. one thing for sure; all the silver coins come out looking the same, SHINY! mostly..

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I detect parks for lack of anywhere else to go, when I start finding Brown quarters, dimes & nickels (clad), it does tell me it has not been detected, at least for a good while, I then slow way down, looking for that Ring?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldfleks, you are taking a good approach. You can cherry pick the quarters/high tones, then come back later and start lowering the discrimination. In my part of the country, Maryland, it does not take long for the soil to cause clad coins to turn an ugly dark gray or black color. They still spend the same, though :icon_thumright:

Edited to add: One other thought...if you find shiny clad, those were probably recent drops so they might give you an indication of the higher-traffic areas of your park. Happy hunting.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I take it that this is a good sign this park hasn't been recently detected? They all come out of the ground copper colored, so they are modern clad quarters. I can't read the date on most of them. These we're found around park benches and cooking areas, so I figure these spots would be the "go-to" spots when someone first hits the park.

How long does a quarter take to lose its shine?

Depends on environment.
But regarding finding lots of quarters, please see my recent post here on what are your coin denomination percentages compared to the USA mint production figures and how this might relate to detectors: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...tch-mint-production-may-reflect-detector.html
Keep hitting that park. If you're finding quarters a gold ring is near by!

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice guys. Appreciate it.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins here in Minnesota will lose their color and turn brown within a matter of months. It is the wetness I think that does it, because clad in a lake will turn brown in weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread