Indigo Digger

Jan 30, 2017
Above The Plug
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,
I have recently began metal detecting using a Garrett Ace 150.
While I have made some amazing finds with it so far, I would like to upgrade.
I use the 150 only in the woods and, only in and around cellar holes.
I hunt in all metal mode and dig everything that is not iron.

Can anyone that hunts in similar conditions please advise me on a better suited detector?
I know there's more to be found in with the iron, my machine just can't tell me.

Hunt Happy

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think when hunting cellar holes and such one just needs to buckle down and dig the iron too just to eliminate it from the site. There is no detector made that will find an old dime or a reale directly under and close to a good sized chunk of rusty iron like a piece of broken iron pan or pot or stove piece. Since you have a very entry level machine any detector in the mid to high range will be an upgrade. I have friends who do your type of hunting with AT Pros and they love them. I do so also but use my Safari most of the time. Many relic hunters seem to like the XP Deus but it is a more expensive machine by a long shot than an ATPro. I am sure you will get many different suggestions here, as there are folks who love whatever machine they have and use. It is often more user expertise rather than machine used that determines how much is found. You with many hours on your 150 may do better than someone with only a couple of hours on a CTX 3030 for example.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without knowing all of the details (budget being a big one) I'd look at the following machines and go from there.

Whites

MX All Pro
MX Sport

Tesoro

Vaquero
Outlaw
Tejon

Garrett

AT Gold

Fisher

F70
F75 (both versions)

Teknetics

T2 (both versions)
G2 (both versions)

Were it me, I'd also look for a good set of headphones.

Any of the above listed machines will get the job done. There are other machines, not listed, that would also get the job done. I think the important thing is that you pick a machine that suits you, then learn that machine.

My own bias would direct me toward the Whites or Tesoros machines, but I have owned a Tek G2 and wish, to this day, that I had not sold it.

OP
OP
I

Indigo Digger

Jan 30, 2017
Above The Plug
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't really spend more than 500 and was looking at the teknetics t2.
The at pro looks like a decent machine but i don't plan on going in the water.
I keep finding stuff online about upgrading the T2 because of defects and other reasons making me lean towards
a different brand.
I just keep getting drawn back to the Teknetics T2 because it *features double filter disc for trashy iron digs.
so far it's the only detector i've found to make the claim it's for trashy sites.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep finding stuff online about upgrading the T2 because of defects and other reasons making me lean towards
a different brand.
I just keep getting drawn back to the Teknetics T2 because it *features double filter disc for trashy iron digs.
so far it's the only detector i've found to make the claim it's for trashy sites.
Regardless of what machine you use, you have to be careful how much discrimination you use or you will miss the good targets that are mixed with the iron. Gunsil gives good advice, you have to dig it all to get it all. I don't always do that, but it is the best way to to hunt a iron infested site.

HH, RN

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go on Craigslist and find a used Machine, $300 goes a long way on Craigslist. You can get a quality machine, headphone, tools, etc.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
a different brand.

Upgrades are not because of defects, it is just that the engineers at First Texas are the types that aren't satisfied with just putting out a product and then sitting on their butts.
If they can offer some upgraded programming to enhance the already bountiful features and abilities they do.
These are not cars where recalls are a negative thing and common for safety issues and other problems...these are positive enhancements.

The T2, F75 and F70 are built on the same basic platform with programming differences, at their core they are all capable.
The F75 has that same double disc feature, I believe my F70 does too which is the real sleeper of the three.
The newer T2's and F75's have noise dampening DST which makes them quieter around EMI, the F70 doesn't but I never minded and the F70 does have boost which might or might not be helpful to you.
The T2 has a larger iron disc area to play with which might also be helpful to you, most Fisher users don't have much problem hunting in extreme iron either.
I don't and most of my sites are loaded with that stuff.
The T2 Classic is advertised for $499 but call dealers and there are probably discounts.
The Anniversary F75 goes for $599 but most can still pick it up for $500.
Many have picked up used units for less, my F70 cost me $400 and I have seen units that work perfectly fine for less being offered.

The Teknetics unit only can use DD coils, the Fishers can use both DD's and concentrics but both work in iron well if you know how to use them.
A small sniper coil on either brand will make iron work a bit easier and all get surprisingly deep.

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Iron trashy sites, for the money, nothing can compare to the Makro Racer, Racer 2 or the Notka Relic. JMHO

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,
I have recently began metal detecting only in the woods and, only in and around cellar holes.
I hunt in all metal mode and dig everything that is not iron.

Can anyone that hunts in similar conditions please advise me

I saw your finds on youtube a few weeks ago...I don't think you really need much advice. :) Be careful that your first season of finding premium sites, does not spoil you. Most cellar hunters don't do that well on a steady yearly basis. So, if you run out of these incredibly excellent home sites, you may be thinking you MUST buy a very expensive detector if new sites don't seem to have very much.

Cellar sites; you must always dig all non-iron signals. Also, if time permits, get big iron out of the ground if near the cellar where you did find good things.

. It is often more user expertise rather than machine used that determines how much is found. .

I agree 100%. Learn one detector to the max, before getting a bad habit of thinking you must always keep buying by higher prices alone.

Also; Cellar sites are not a good place for bigger coils for two reasons; one is that they can miss a good signal next to a batch of nails. Second reason for a smaller coil, is it forces you to sweep better, like painting with a tiny brush...you concentrate better. It can seem futile with a tiny coil, until you start finding many things that were missed on several hunts there with the bigger coil. Almost like having a different detector.

Bigger coils are good for a huge area like a former field, to zero in on a good hot spot like an early cabin site that never had a noticeable foundation. Then use the smaller coil.

OP
OP
I

Indigo Digger

Jan 30, 2017
Above The Plug
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool thanks for watching the videos! I have about 30 or so sites that have never been touched all on private lands, with a handful of virgin sites on public lands.
My thinking behind an upgrade is that maybe the 150 is skipping over some good signals due to the amount of iron at these sites.
Regardless of what detector I use it will always be all metal mode and I will dig all non Fe signals.

I really like the idea of having a sniper coil to get in tight spots and in between close signals.
Usually I will take a roll of string and square off a 6'x6' area then walk in a grid tying string lines.
After I complete the up down left right, I'll do the same thing, only starting the grid in a different direction.

Using my Ace I would turn the sensitivity all the way up and keep all metal mode on
when I knew I was close to a site that was not visible when the low iron tones became more
concentrated just to make sure I dig a couple to make sure square nails are around.
I found the old bottle dump the same way.

For me this is a HUGE investment I just want to be sure I'm making the right choice

OP
OP
I

Indigo Digger

Jan 30, 2017
Above The Plug
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I have decided that the Teknetics T2 is the Upgrade I'm gonna go with I am also going to get the 5" coil for it
I need advice on the best vendor with the least expensive cost sale will be final by Friday

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now with the new pricing released this week, The T2 LTD is the better value if you want the 5" coil too. MAP Pricing of $699 includes both coils plus the extra features of the LTD. If you buy the standard T2 and extra coil, it's $499 + 125= $624 MAP price.

Feel free to give me a call if I can help in your decision.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

exileshane

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use this 3010II in woods and water. The detecting distance is ok. But sometimes the recover speed is slow.

Last edited:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab X-terra 705 will do all you need to relic hunting.

biyaa

Feb 26, 2017
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you think about just upgrade coil for Garrett Ace 150? Sometime, slurping big amount on a machine and later find it doesn't suit your need. Anyway, if you want a decent machine either the AT Pro or Minelab Xterra 705 would do a fantastic job. AT Pro waterproof which a bonus, plus the re-sale value holds if you decide change mind. Whichever machine you decide hope do what you wanted. Happy hunting mate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread