are some of the depth estimates fisher mans tales

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
just wondering wheter md'ers have a slight touch of fishermans tales as i ve seen estimates of 8+inchs on a dime with an Ace 250 not that i doubt it but if an ace250 can do this how deep would a superduper all singing all dancing top of the range roll out the red carpet not made in china metal detector detect it 3 1/2 feet down

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
strike it rich said:
just wondering wheter md'ers have a slight touch of fishermans tales as i ve seen estimates of 8+inchs on a dime with an Ace 250 not that i doubt it but if an ace250 can do this how deep would a superduper all singing all dancing top of the range roll out the red carpet not made in china metal detector detect it 3 1/2 feet down
\

Yeah. For example digging a coin that is hiding 3" down without damaging it may require digging a hold at least 5" or 6" hole. I think most VLF finds are only 2" to 4" deep. However, depending on conditions, coins as deep as you mentioned and deeper can be detected.

But the norm is what I said. Anyway, who wants to dig down 8" to retrieve a nail or pull tab, I don't. And no way will the ID on the machine be reliable at those depths.

Now long rang metal detectors are available. but do you want to dig 3 feet down to retrieve a dime do ya?

HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Soil condition means a lot.I've dug a mercury dime at 7-8 inches in the sand with a BH.

Exactly.

Soil conditions mean alot.

who wants to dig down 8" to retrieve a nail or pull tab ?

I'v dug twice that deep for worse.

And 8" isn't deep if you know your detector.
Trust Me ;)

1980's Whites Detectors can go deeper on a dime.

but I'd say 6" is the average for silver around here.

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
I believe that some depths reported are not actual depths. Many people are reporting the depth reading from the detector. The detector says 8" so the coins was 8" deep. Actually the coil was riding on the grass 2" inches above the ground. Then to compound the error they are using a coil that is a different size than the one that came with the detector. My 5" coil reads 2" deeper than the coin actually is.

Add to this coins that where missed in the side of the hole that drop into the hole after digging deeper. Also there is the fisherman factor. Experienced detectors don't make these mistakes. Rob

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I agree that digging 8" targets isn't bad, but if the soil is rockhard like is around here, that's another story.

I've detected targets deeper then what is mentoned. But my normal depth are what I mentioned. I dig whispers and negative sinnals in productive areas as long as the ground isn't too noisy.

In an area that is productive I'll cherry pick it first and then go back consintrate on the whispers and negative signals. But for the most part my targets seem to be at 4" and less.

HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant said:
I agree that digging 8" targets isn't bad, but if the soil is rockhard like is around here, that's another story.

Yes I'v had "Sailors Thoughts" Digging Can tabs & Nails
at 3" when the ground is like Cement :D

Especially when it's a Tab Tongue

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Best I know I did was a 1918 Walker Half at 12 inches, measure by the imprint of the coin to the top of the hole. I'd say most finds are 3-6 inches but many have found coins deeper and you can definately find them shallow. Only Seated coin I found this year was about an inch deep. I dig nails on a regular basis at 8 inches, but I dig everything deep! I will dig a pull tab at that depth too, hoping one day it turns out to be a gold ring or coin!! The $5 gion coin I found in West VA was a crappy signal at 6-8 inches deep!! Of course the other 4000 similar signals were trash!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: are some of the depth estimates fishermans tales

Can't say from a G-Ace250. A couple three weeks ago I was hunting a riverbank (too darned hot and dry at the park next to it) and got a hit just above the water's edge. Dug and moved rocks and came up with a dime that was a good 8" (Lesche tool blade is 7" and I had to open the hole wider to get the "ears" in). Turned out to be a 1985 clad. DRAT!!

I have a silver and clad quarter each buried in my test garden at 12", two Memorial cents, one on edge, at 8", a dime at 6" and a nickle at 7". (as well as pull-tabs, shotshell bases, coins beside and under nails, coins 1" deep, etc., etc.) There are days neither of my detectors do very well and other days I get solid hits on all. Knowing a coin is there ahead of time also biases you to whether it's a good signal. Getting a "beep" in one direction doesn't usually lead to a hole when out in "field" conditions. Moist soil always is [usually] better than dry, but just because the top 4" is wet doesn't mean the deep strata is.

I've also popped a plug and dug down only to find the coin in the hole wall. If it gets knocked in that could lead to an "honest" error of thinking it was found deep as opposed to knocked into a 8" hole from a 2" start. ;) No offense, but a 250 is an entry level detector and some "rookie errors" are to be expected. Pinpointing, having a coin stuck to the digging tool, jabbing it down an extra 4" with the trowel, etc. And then there's the "optomistic" Mk I Eyeball measureing device. Very unreliable.

Our archery club used to host shoots and at one we did an experiment. We set a 3-D deer target out in a field and asked bowhunters to judge the distance and write their answers down. As I remember the deer was at 68 yards and we had guesses from 25 to 175 yards and everyplace in between. Probably only 10% were within 10 yards - which is not good for a weapon like a bow.

Treasure hole depth shares a trait with other lengths. They increase with excitement. ;) (And yes, I chose those words very carefully and that's what I ment ;) ).

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Sometimes "depth" is only an indication of imagination.

Years ago, a certain well-known dealer counted on it. Demonstrating a detector, he would wave a $5 gold piece a couple of feet away from the searchcoil with nary a flutter in the threshold and then ask the customer, "Would you dig that signal?" Instead of asking, "What signal?"— rather than admit they were somehow deficient, most would just look at the gleaming golden coin and reply, "Why, sure!" Of course, the next question would be something like, "Name me one other detector that can do that!" and before they knew he'd set the hook, he was reeling them in.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rcasi44 said:
I believe that some depths reported are not actual depths. Many people are reporting the depth reading from the detector. The detector says 8" so the coins was 8" deep. Actually the coil was riding on the grass 2" inches above the ground. Then to compound the error they are using a coil that is a different size than the one that came with the detector. My 5" coil reads 2" deeper than the coin actually is.

Add to this coins that where missed in the side of the hole that drop into the hole after digging deeper. Also there is the fisherman factor. Experienced detectors don't make these mistakes. Rob

Small coils and large coils definately can give wrong depth/id. And if your swinging 2" above the grass lower your coil and pick up more depth.
Most of my coins are found 4"-8" deep.When i got my detectors new i measure depth on coins just to see.
I also agree if your not careful or pinpoint oof the coin can be shallow and fall into a deeper hole,and just so you know it happens to us experienced guys from time to time...
HH

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Most of the manufacturers claims are also based on air tests,a nd I´ve seen some detectors give over a foot in air, and not find anything deeper than 2 inches in the ground. Some will go as deep in ground as in air, a lot won´t, and some to a great degree. So try before you buy, or ask an experienced user on forum (Not a newbie that´s just got his first machine and thinks he has the best thing since sliced bread).
HH Ray

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...are some depth estimates "fishermans tales?"

You mean lies? Sure - what do you think?

I have my digger marked in inches. When I dig something you can rest assured that I'm telling you what it says - and that it's probably erroneous in some way. There are plenty of variables that sneak in, no matter how hard you try to be accurate. I dug a quarter at 10" last season with my Golden. I measured it - and I'm sure it was only close.

All this "Nth " degree over depth is a lot of foo-foo, anyway... that's foo-foo as in a big fat waste of energy. You get close, that's about it. Don't worry over it, since as you suspect, much of it is hype, or only repeatable in a lab. Besides, there's some worse news for you to worry over _ _ _ _ _ _ _

You are going to miss something, somewhere, sometime. Guaranteed.
Worse yet, you undoubtedly have already. Guaranteed :o

The size of your detectors field at the deepest point useful to it's circuitry is less than an inch. Rest assured you are NOT scanning well enough to overlap that. This means that even if your detector WILL make it 8" vertically, you stand an excellent chance of missing targets in the horizontal.

But we all want to know we are using the best gear we can get, right? That's why we listen to what others say. So, if people lie over their results, either intentionally or in good faith, what are you to do?

Let me make few suggestions that might help here. Use them as you see fit.

First, enjoy yourself, instead of bothering over what you may be missing.
Next, save enough money to get a quality instrument, then save 100$ more for an upgrade. This way, you'll own a unit that offers plenty of punch when you go afield. That's "owned," as in no interest/no loans and with peace of mind, which is another sort of treasure all it's own.
(That is Charles Garrett's advice, by the way, given regardless whether you purchase one of his instruments or not. He's one guy who knows what he's talking about).

Finally, take a moment to read my signature line and then get busy, enjoy your health in the fresh air and your life in this great country...

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Ive dug pennies that I would have sworn were 10 feet deep. They just keep falling into the frikin hole. I have tried to pay attention to coin depths, but its difficult not knowing what the target is going to be before hand. I dont try to remember all the tinfoil and pulltab depths. Ive seen depth readings on the forum that I surely cant believe. Ive seen where people say they found a dime on its side @ a certain depth. I have never found a coin on edge that I know of, because by the time I get too it, it is laying in the bottom of the hole, or its stuck in the clump and I dont know what direction it was originaly facing. I say enjoy the digging, purchase the "best' detector you can afford and forget the hype. just my nickels worth..Hh dave.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
detectordave said:
Ive dug pennies that I would have sworn were 10 feet deep. They just keep falling into the frikin hole. I have tried to pay attention to coin depths, but its difficult not knowing what the target is going to be before hand. I dont try to remember all the tinfoil and pulltab depths. Ive seen depth readings on the forum that I surely cant believe. Ive seen where people say they found a dime on its side @ a certain depth. I have never found a coin on edge that I know of, because by the time I get too it, it is laying in the bottom of the hole, or its stuck in the clump and I dont know what direction it was originaly facing. I say enjoy the digging, purchase the "best' detector you can afford and forget the hype. just my nickels worth..Hh dave.

And that is the best advice you can get (From all of us). Enjoy it, and use the best you can afford. Don´t worry about depth too much. What you gain in depth, you tend to loose in sensitivity and discrimination in the top (And that´s where most finds are, even after all these years, especially when the ploughs been over )
HH Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread