what is notch out and how do you do it

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
notching out is discriminating out items or groups of items, some machines use a knob and start to discriminate, starting at iron on up, notching if you have this option, you can pick a higher conductor[say a nickle] and discriminate it, and still pick up a lowerconductor[say iron]. hope this helps

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A "notch" refers to a gap in the discrimination. You can notch-in a range of conductivity, say nickels if you've previously set the discrimination to cents and above, or notch-out a range, say pull tabs if your discrimination is at a lower setting like foil.

Some detectors have no notching capability and some can do multiple ranges. Others have a relatively narrow notch band that can be adjusted up or down the conductivity scale using a twist knob. Yours has none.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucked in again ?

BFO man sucks you all in again.
If you haven't read his BFO post you should.
Then ask yourself why he should want to know about notch for his detector (MD 3009) a machine that has never had a notch fitted. Original model didn't, nor the 3009B or the latest 3009C (which is just the B with a second coil supplied).

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
did I ever claim my md had notch i think not i was just asking what notching was. I was asked what machine I used I said md 3009. Am I meant to say another model that I dont own just to fit the question and i think thats a fitting name BFO man I like it thanks for the name if its meant for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions