Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to metal detecting, as of 12/28/2016. I have found what I would consider a lot of clad coins, with most being pennies.
I am just curious if my finds rate is pretty normal, or out of whack.

From 12/28/2016 until today 02/24/2017: 154 = 1 cent
55 = other (nickels, dimes, and quarters
_____
209 Grand total

So, 74% of my coin finds are pennies, and 26% other. I guess that would be a ratio of 4 to 1.

It appears that folks here in South Georgia will not always pick up a dropped penny, but a little more prone to pick up the others.

Anyways, I'm real curious what some of your percentages are.

Upvote 0

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on where you detect, JUST out of curiosity I began to keep count of coins I've found since I retired, So, since Jan. 2015 to date, Two 1$ coins, Two 1/2 $ coins, 908 quarters, 1,277 dimes, 721 nickels, and 5,378 pennies. Having said, that's a lot of city/county parks for lack of any better places for now. Of course I'd rather have only 100 total if they were all 1900 & before. If I had skipped pennies, I would have missed a few neat surprises as well. So, If you just hunt parks, zinc pennies are a fact of life I guess, although, yesterday I DID find a nice sterling ring w/ stone. And each time I dig a nickel or pull tab?, I tell my self, Well--it COULD have been a nice juicy gold ring.

Wow. I hope there are still some good coins left in the ground when I retire!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vern, Do not let the numbers fool ya, I am not some great detector guy, or have the best detector in the world, I've just been hitting a lot of parks. As I said, I would rather have 100 coins for the year if they were all 1900 and before, really, quality over quantity. I just have a lot more time now then I use to. The only reason for the parks is the slim chance for a foreign coin or hopefully a ring. You are doing good, and since you enjoy it, so much the better. It is a lot of digging, and I am tired of zinc pennies, but as Skippy pointed out, that penny signal gave him a nice gold ring. (Skippy, you just gave me new hope). Just keep plugging away, (did I just say plugging?, was that a pun?, not intended) and sooner or later you will hit that one square inch of planet earth that is hiding that one great find. It WILL happen. Your already hooked, just like the rest of us here.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are right. Sometimes even when not MD, I hear a beep beep sound. Like when trying to go to sleep.
I even dreamed one night I was carrying around a foot tub full of coins.

I think most of us men are watchers, lookers, and finders, at heart.
Married to the same woman for 49 years, but still know absolutely nothing about women.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco-Digger
So what you are saying is, you pass it up if there are several or more numbers bouncing around? Even if the quarter 95 (like on my DeLeon) is popping up solid too?

I do not understand your question, I dig solid signals and those that only vary by 1 digit up or down. All 4 of my gold items rang in with solid target IDs, no variance. One ring rang in the foil range which I never used to dig, but this was a virgin site I found that gave up 1 gold ring previously and plenty of coins going back to the mid 1800's. On a site like that I do dig trash so I can see if the trash might have been masking another good target.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A few weeks ago on TreasureNet published Mint figures for US coin production compared to my finds (based on 2,882 coins) on Florida beaches.
Percentage
Denomination: 0.01 0.05 0.1 0.25
Mint: 55 9.5 17.9 17.6
Finds: 49.2 10.9 22.1 17.9

Sorry for the misalignment, can't seem to correct, but 55% of mint production are cents. You're finding much more cents so looks like, perhaps, it is the result of others not picking them up.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not understand your question, I dig solid signals and those that only vary by 1 digit up or down. All 4 of my gold items rang in with solid target IDs, no variance. One ring rang in the foil range which I never used to dig, but this was a virgin site I found that gave up 1 gold ring previously and plenty of coins going back to the mid 1800's. On a site like that I do dig trash so I can see if the trash might have been masking another good target.
Loco digger, it seems I didn't even know how to accurately ask you the question. Thanks for clearing my mind. Thanks again for sharing some of your proven techniques.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lawrence , that's pretty interesting stuff. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions