Brand new and would greatly appreciate the help! (Finding the right metal detector)

Sihren

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place (And also if you're sick of this question :tongue3: ) lol! As someone who's always wanted a metal detector, I've finally decided to purchase one. I have searched online through so many websites but it seems there are just so many to choose from and I have a bit of a dilemma.
Since I am new to the hobby.. and also frugal when possible.. I'd like to start out with a fairly inexpensive one. I'm nervous about going too cheap and not really getting the enjoyment out of it, but I don't want to spend hundreds on dollars until I know what features I like, what things I want, etc.
So basically if at all possible I'm looking for something that:
-Is under $200 (the cheaper, the better!)
-Hopefully can differentiate between different metals
-Has some sort of depth indicator

Some possibly helpful things to know:
-Will be used mostly in red georgia clay
- Doesn't matter if waterproof (but of course that would be a bonus)

Sorry if this seems jumbled/vague/ignorant, I am completely new to this! Thanks in advance for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the major companies make at least one machine that will fit your budget (and criteria). Bear in mind the fact that while respondents can make suggestions based upon their experiences, it will be you who purchases (and swings) the machine.

I'd strongly recommend that you test several machines out: what works for me may not work for you. Go to your local dealer and test swing several different machines or ask a friend if you can test their machine. See how the different machines feel to you, and how you like each machine's interface.

Below are a few machines that fit your budget/criteria. It is not an inclusive list though, as there are machines (that would fit your needs) that I have no experience with.

Teknetics

Euro Pro — right at the limit of your budget, but definitely more than a kid's entry level machine. It has a pinpoint feature and will give you a depth reading. It has features not usually found at this price point (Iron target volume control, Iron LED indicator). It is light weight, very fast and a blast to use. You can get a fairly good idea of what the target is through discrimination and/or the target ID numbers.

I'm not sure how well it will work in your soil though (my understanding is that Georgia's red clay presents all kinds of problems for many detectors). In mild soil it works like a charm and will find coins down to 6-7 inches.

Tesoro

Compadre — this machine is roughly $160 brand new. It might look like a toy but it's a serious hunter. It's a beep and dig machine, with one tone only. Its discrimination is excellent (set it where you'd like and dig everything that beeps). It doesn't have a pinpoint, but that isn't needed on this machine. It won't give depth either — but that's fairly simply to figure out (lift the coil a bit — when the signal just disappears the target is roughly 5-6 inches below the bottom of the coil. Subtract the air distance from 5-6 inches and you have an idea of how deep the item is)(It isn't 100%, but neither are the depth indicators on other machines).

The Compadre is a blast to use. It is a jewelry/coins demon and you'd be surprised at how well it hunts. It is very light weight and extremely fast. New, it comes with a life-time warranty (best in the business).

Again, I'm not sure how it will do in your soil (the ground balance is preset by the factory).

Fisher

F2 — I haven't used this machine but mention it because it is highly thought of by its users. I have used the F4 though, so I suspect that the F2 is a very capable machine. I believe the ground balance is set at the factory though — so it may not work well in your soil.

There are other machines not mentioned (Minelab Go-Find models)(Fisher F22)(Teknetics Digitek) (Whites Exventure) (Bounty Hunter — several models)(Garrett — Ace 150 and Ace 200)

I am not aware of any model (at your stated budget) that has ground balancing. That may be an issue in your soil (assuming there is no model with ground balancing) so you might consider looking at used machines or upping your budget a bit.

Good luck with the machine you choose and happy hunting.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check Craigslist and Ebay.

OP
OP
S

Sihren

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, that was very helpful! It certainly gives me an idea of where to start looking for sure. I have no preference whether it's new or used as I plan on buying a better one once I get the hang of things. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out

Virginia Digger

Jan 20, 2017
Henrico, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being new I may have 2 videos that may help you on my YouTube channel. Search "Virginia Digger" on YouTube. The 2 videos are one on research and I have one on What I carry when I go hunting. Maybe they will be a help maybe not. Best of luck to you!

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having done the buy cheep first and than moving up I would recommend buying a good -$500-600 machine like an AT Pro and saving the cost of the cheep machine. Also keep in mind you will need a digger $15-35, pin pointer $125, shovel $15-60, pouch, gloves, knee pads $50++, = 200$ MOL. Perry

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another thing to check out is find out if there are any local detecting clubs in your area, if so attend the meetings and ask questions as well as see if any of the members will take you out on a test drive hunt, this will also help you decide if breaking the budget is worth it as well as seeing if anyone has a second hand detector they would be willing to part with. I know you stated your on a budget but if your like me you will kick your self if you buy too low end. I also got my father in law detecting he went with the Garrett Ace 400 which feature wise i would consider as the starting point for an entry level detector.

also i recommend giving Bart at Big Boys Hobbies Metal Detector For Sale Specialized in Minelab, Garrett, XP, Fisher, Teknetics. | BigBoysHobbies a call, as he helped me out and gave a great price on a package deal.

good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread