is it the best to buy from your own country

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
hi I am from the Uk after searching for metal detectors made in the Uk I have come up with two the red heat and fieldmaster anyone use them and what do you think. My other question this given a choice do you buy from your own country why?.

I guess what iam saying is when I go to the super market I buy what I like not based on country of origin.

sure its great to buy on the basis of Iam supporting my country which country do you think produces the best metal detector and why?.
I have seen some posts that seem to be more about flag waving than anything thing else.

from what I have seen

German=serben=rubbish
Usa=home grown =good
China=cheap=rubbish
Japan=?/never seen any
Uk=very few=handmande=expensive

please feel free to add to the list

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a few manufactures here that produce fine metal detectors. Some of the parts may come from else where however. Right now I think Minelab makes the leaders and they are based in AU.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if you need to Ship out of your country
for parts & Repairs.

Then it makes no sense to me to Buy Foreign.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Pending on what you want to use the detector for, I would base my decision on which detectors meet that need and go from there. If it turns out a detector meets your needs from your Country, then go for it, otherwise purchase one that you will be able to use with the most potential to find what you are looking for and the hobby will remain fun, which is the key to it all.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Germany does not make Seben machines try Turkey and China.
It does make several top quality brands and leads in hoard hunting P.I.'s. Lorenz, Pulse Star, OKI etc.
XP in France. Perhaps the best selling machines in Europe in all price ranges. Killed off Troy Shadow sales over here.
US either have all the bells and whistles but not particularly suited to U.K. hunting except for Tesoro (U.K. modified models that are black in colour) and the top of range Whites such as the XLT/DFX etc that can be opened right up and discrimination lowered if an I.D. machine as the most sort after items can register on meters as minus numbers on the displays.
Japan produces a few machines but all beginner or childrens models.
U.K. machines. Viking and Pulsepower Developments are small companies but good quality.
Fieldmaster (the Young brothers) small, one of the older companies. Well made.
Redheat...you got one right , one man band, manufactured in his own home.
Saxon. Another small company. Top model Ultradepth X-1 $3500 but it sells.
C-Scope. Large company that produces loads of models of more variety than any other manufacturer in the world from IB/TR to two non motion meter discriminators, Lots of motion machines, Pulse Induction, XLT equilivant...the Newforce R1. All cheaper than similar US and European models and most are dust and rainproof.
Plus Whites have a large factory in Scotland.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab of Australia is very good.

Did the UK models ever get past the crummy wiring and oil leaks? Or was that just the cars? :D

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solved the cars years ago. Have yours still got the cardboard dash materials, huge fuel consumption, poor road holding etc etc ?
O yes. Thats why you all buy Japanese and all the U.S. car makers shares have junk bond status. :-*

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Donno. Mine was made in Wolfsburg, Germany (Jetta turbo Sport Wagon). :D Body, engine & transmission. ;) Holds 145 mph on the flat (as good as the tires are rated and my nerves held out), gets 30 mpg and takes 45 mph right angle corners.

I never bought in to the SUV concept. ;D

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Solved the cardboard dash stuff and the handling issues but the gas thing, well as long as gas stays under 3 bucks a gallons we will keep our foot in it. I miss the non handling, cardboard dash, 8 mile per gallon gas eating, tire burning, big block, flat out fast American muscle cars.
Dang, I am getting old!

And oh yeah, I would go with the White's or Minelab.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
My personal preferences.
XP GoldMaxx Power (18kHz)
XP GMaxx 2 (4.6kHz)
Red Heat XD 17 Micro (17kHz)
Red Heat Tornado (13kHz)

All fast, deep, good quality, and will find things other machines miss. The Red Heats are British built, the Xp´s French built.
In my opinion, you´ll have difficulty finding machines that are better than these for European detecting (You want to find hammerds and cut quarters don´t you ?)
HH Ray

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Whites or Tesoro might be your bet, if you want made in USA.

C-scope if you want homegrown.

There is much to recommend homegrown, when it comes service time. But, Whites and Tesoro both have service centers on your side of the pond.

No matter what you get, your gonna miss something, anyway. I guarantee it. NO detector, no matter the make, will assure you of better. So get what makes you feel comfortable and what the folks around you are successful with - and what fits your budget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread