Mobile phone metal detector?

Zolotov

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any metal detector that leverages mobile phone? Because a mobile phone is like a computer, it only needs an antenna to send and receive pulses, so a mobile phone based metal detector would be very cheap. Also you could draw magnetic fields in colored graphs. So, have anybody manufactured these?

Upvote 0

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinking about building one. It wouldn't be as fancy as you describe, but any microcontroller-based detector built from plans found online could easily incorporate a Bluetooth module and link with a phone.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google for cellphone metal detectors and the first hit was: Metal Detector "...turns your cell phone into a metal detector, and makes people with iPhones jealous..."

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got the app.

I can find my truck with it, if I'm standing within 6" of the truck.

OP
OP
Z

Zolotov

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turns your cell phone into a metal detector, and makes people with iPhones jealous..."

it only detects magnetic field due to magnetometer sensor which is bundled with the device. It is used to identify North like a compass. But it isn't good for detecting metals.

OP
OP
Z

Zolotov

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about building one. It wouldn't be as fancy as you describe, but any microcontroller-based detector built from plans found online could easily incorporate a Bluetooth module and link with a phone.
would you use VLF or PI ?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cellphones transmit at 2.4 GHz. A metal detector transmits at 7 KHz to 21 KHz. Detectors also have search coils.

But if it works for you - go for it. It will have a much better chance than a long-range detector. ;-)

Now, if you are just using your phone as the display and have an otherwise complete detector unit to link with, that may work.

Don't know why you'd bother but it may work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions