Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Seeking experienced beach/water hunter advice on a new detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
    399 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Seeking experienced beach/water hunter advice on a new detector

I am looking to get some advice on which machine to get, an Minelab Excalibur II or White's Surf Master PI? I have the money to buy the Surf Master right now, but am willing to wait to get the Excalibur II if I decide to go that direction. I was hoping that there are individuals out there that have used both and share their experiences and any pros/cons of each. I am only able to beach/water hunt a couple times a year right now (but those are a week at a time), but hope to start going at least once a month (weekend) in the future. There are some lakes and river swimming holes in the area that I can hunt. I am not sure what questions to ask, so think of this string as open ended.

Thanks for any help.

us
    Nov 2013
    Long Island
    CTX 3030, Xp Deus, That's it, I'm done.
    2253 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Charter Member
    us
    ZO6 Guy

Jan 2014
    Los Angeles
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
    1309 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    When I did my research on which machine to buy, I looked at the machines racking up the most finds. The Excal and Fisher were on the top of the pile. I also dive so the Excal was my choice. You'll love it.

us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    399 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    MrMike, Thank you for the links. I will read them. They may let me know what questions to ask.

us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    399 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    redcobra, I don't know anything about Fisher products. So that is why the are not one of the detectors I listed. I guess I have more homework to do. The Excal keeps coming up when I do any looking into the beach hunting. Everything I read (so far - I haven't read MrMike's links yet) has the Excel as the best available.
    redcobra8u likes this.

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1074 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    As long as your still undecided, check out the DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. I love mine.
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6857 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    If you go deeper than 10' under water and you want discrimination, the Excal is #1 IMO. #2 would be the CZ21. The thing I don't like about the CZ21 is the silent search (ie. no threshold tone). If you hunt an area with very little iron trash, a PI machine will work fine. Look at the Sand Shark, Dual Field, and Infinium LS. If all you're going to hunt is shallow fresh water, the AT Pro is a good economical choice.
    redcobra8u likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Mojave 720i Stealth Scoop
    6906 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Excalibur II.
    redcobra8u likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    399 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    TooMany,
    I will look into the DP HH. Thanks!

us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    399 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I keep coming across references to upgrades for the Excal. Any idea how much all of these upgrades cost?

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    Wisconsin, N.C. Fl....wherever the wrecks take me
    Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube
    840 times
    Shipwrecks
    Just my opinions..based on MY personal experiances...

If your gonna get it wet...get a diving detector. End full stop.

Freshwater...vs saltwater...

If a combo beach/surf/diving detector...hands down between Excal and CZ for a VLF machine. Seahunter or Sandshark if P.I.

I do ALOT of freshwater wetwork...my Tesoro Tigershark paid for itself 59 minutes into it's first dive. It has since paid for an Excal, a Seahunter, and last 4 Caribbean scuba vacations.

Tigershark for freshwater will sniff out ALOT..(even the Excal) of small stuff others pass right over.

If salt, beach or ocean work...hands down Excal or CZ-21.

Tesoro Sandshark is a great machine for salt work as well....but you WILL hit every pull tab, sprinkler rod, and small ferrous junk if it exists. Great machine..be prepared to dig ALOT.

Best combo machine for fresh or saltwater, or wet beaches..my vote goes to Excal. Yeah..you want to mod it, but by gawd, once you have it set up, and MOST importantly...LEARN IT'S LANGUANGE...it WILL speak to you if you listen.

So what do I use? If in freshwater..Tigershark
    If saltwater, either beaches or diving...Excal

Second best advice I can offer....get a GOOD scoop for what your doing. Do NOT scimp.

Good luck, and good hunting!!

ag
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    St Pete FL
    Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
    374 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ltd063 View Post
    I keep coming across references to upgrades for the Excal. Any idea how much all of these upgrades cost?
    That's why I decided against an Excal for now. My thought is that if I'm spending that much money, it needs to be the best it can be right out of the box. Things like needing a knob guard, IMO, is something Minelab should have taken into consideration during the design, and either changed the design, or included the guard. The other reason I went against the Excal is the potential downtime if there is servicing required. Everything I've read says that while their customer support is great, their repair service can take months. That does not equate to a fun experience in my eyes.

The Fishers are supposed to be great, but I guess they just don't appeal to me. But that's just a personal thing.

I went with a Sand Shark. The White's Dual was my other PI thought, but I just really like the idea of a lifetime warranty on a saltwater submersible machine. I didn't mind the savings over the others either.

I'm ok with a PI, as the % of junk in the water is lower, and I'd dig pulltabs anyway, so I saw no real advantage (to me) in not getting a PI machine.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    13220 times
    Whatever you finally decide on ltd - please consider buying one from one of 's Supporting Vendors.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.

us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    399 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by vpnavy View Post
    Whatever you finally decide on ltd - please consider buying one from one of 's Supporting Vendors.
    VP,
    Most Definitely! I have been looking at them for prices and accessories! After all, I will need some supporting equipment to make my digs easier.

us
    Jan 2016
    California
    Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
    792 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Do you have another detector for Land that you are using at home?

Beach-diving detectors are specalized equipment and don't tend to work well off the beach. If you're not going to be hitting the beach a ton, and don't have a solid land machine, you could consider getting a land multi-spectrum VLF and use a weather/moisture guard on it. You'll be locked out of wading in the water/waves but you'll still be able to detect on the wet sand and shallow water. Plus during low tide you'll have access to pretty much everything.

The Minelab E-Trac or even the Safari should work great at the beach. They will work great in the dry sands. And work great in the shallow water/wet sands (just don't get the head unit wet). Just be sure to wash off the machine in fresh water after every beach outing, and break down the shaft and coil to get it clean.

This would give you the benefit of having a solid beach detector for those few times you get to the beach, and then a great machine for the other 48 weeks of the year where you're not in the salt water. If you end up going to the beach more often in the future, you could always pickup a used Sand Shark or other PI machine for around $3-$400 bucks if you really want to start wading in the waist to chest deep water and need a submersible machine.

But I wouldn't spent $1500 dollars on an Excal11 that you're only going to use a couple days of the year. But that's my .02.
    KirkS and Wiganer like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links