Military Use of Metal Detectors?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NATO uses minelabs (not a commercial version). Don't know about US troops. I'm guessing they use them to detect buried metal objects.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Do not know the brand that the USA uses. They are for finding land mines and small weapons caches.

They are Pulse Induction.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Yeah, we also look for land minds and in this war we use them to detect IED's and their components like wires, transmitters and such.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And what does this tell everyone !!!!

Minelab is where its at...

Or the lowest bidder. Or they got some politician full-season box seats.

The military cares about making sure a strapping 18 year old can find recently buried 5 to 500 lb. land-mines in all conditions. Not coins in undisturbed soil with minimal effort, economic outlay and discomfort.

Though I am curious as to who supplies the U.S. Used to be Fisher long, long ago.

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a previous poster noted, the AN/PSS-14 is the standard issue. For military use one of the considerations is size and weight. There are a number of units that are used worldwide for landmine detection in military and humanitarian demining work. Look up the EUDEM metal detector comparison report on Google. The most common aspects of the lanmine metal detectors is light weight, ground balancing, minimal user adjustability and variable sensitivity. I have used the Minelabs F3 and the Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500. Both are between $2K and $3K. The Minelabs is time domain using the Candy variable period patent and the Foerster is frequency domain using two frequencies. Some other similarities are the ways that they can be carried. Both are collapseable and height adjustable. They can be used standing, kneeling or lying prone on the ground while using a non-ferrous mine probe in the other hand. There are no displays or adjustments other than on/off and volume. The Minelabs has two interchangeable sensitivity packages, one is red and the other is black and it is quite simple for a supervisor to see which package is in use from behind the operator. I have a bit of experience in this area since I am a geophysicist who looks for landmines and UXO and I have been to Iraq. Feel free to ask other questions.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the info. I guess I thought about how metal detectors to the Iraq soldiers may save their lives, and for us it's a hobby that is fun and games. Puts things in perspective . . I would love to get my hands on one of those military grade detectors, amazing features!

Ian

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want this Minelab

!!STMR%20Oview%201%20(600%20x%20450)%20(198%20x%20148).jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ericwt said:
How much is that one? Can regular people buy it?

Probably cost more then the Truck.

Would make a great Cache, & Meteorite detector
if it gets depth.

I would think it has a sense. Control.

I think landmines are all placed less then a foot
deep, so depth wouldn't be real important
to landmine hunters.

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I am in the Navy and thought I would show you guys this re-enlistment somebody did...kinda neat:

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=30560

In the Navy All Hands magazine for July 2007, they had a picture in the section called "Eye On The Fleet" about Navy metal detecting. The caption read:

"ND1 Larry Polendey, of the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command, searches for additional wreckage using an underwater metal detector near a World War II site off the coast of Koror, Palau."

If you want to see it for yourself, goto http://www.navy.mil/media/allhands/acrobat/ah200707.pdf and scroll down till you see a picture of a guy with a metal detector underwater.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Cillosis, that's a great article and interesting information, thanks for sharing. That is quite a statement to re-enlist on board a sunken ship. We all appreciate the things that you and your fellow soldiers do to keep the rest of us safe! Thank you!

Ian

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900, Garrett Ace 250
Ok, I have used the Military Minelab detector and it's a nice one for its mission. I use one to find mines and UXO's Unexploded Ordnance. Many modern mines contain very little metal, when I say very little I'm talking a piece of foil smaller than a pencil eraser. The military version is a great machine but it picks up everything. I used one a couple times in Iraq but never found anything with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread