Is the Fisher F2 still worth buying when compared to the F22?

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been out of the scene for a few years and I love my Fisher F2. I have a better income and can move up detector-wise, likely to the F4. I was thinking about trading up via selling my F2 first because I have trouble making larger purchases for myself. From what I see you can't even buy the F2 new except from some select online avenues, like amazon, but not from a prime seller. I can find it on ebay as well. Mine is like new with original packaging and etc, no scuffs/scratches. Please do not make an offer here as I'm not selling jussst yet.

My question is, I mostly see people talking about the F22 here and any F2 threads are basically from before the F22 was released, do people even bother with the F2 anymore? The prices for the F22 and F2 are very close and the F22 is a newer product. It looks like it would be a hard sell.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an F4 and really loved the DD coil. My only issues with the F4 is the GB only works in all metal mode and you can't use tones in AM mode. I have an F2 as a loaner. It is so simple to use I can have a noob up and running with 5 minutes of instruction. I have watched some videos of the F22 & F44 detectors. I am a Fisher guy, but not a fan of the F22 or 44. Every video I see the VDI numbers are never tight even on a 4 in deep quarter. The only 2 things the F22 and 44 have going for them is that they are weatherproof and they do not run on 2 9V batteries. If I were you I'd wait for the Ameri-Tek series that should be out sometime this month I think.

I swing the F75LTD/2 and sometimes the XP Deus. Most of my great finds could have been found with the F2 or F44 especially if it has the stock DD coil.

I also owned a BH Land Ranger Pro and think it is the best bang for the buck for someone on a budget. It comes with options that other higher end detectors come with.

Good Luck with what ever detector you choose.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Sure the F2 is still relevant, it still finds stuff well, still is a great entry level unit, still has and uses the Fisher DNA.
However time, as always, has moved on and when it does sometimes old favorites get left behind.
I can't say many out there are any bigger fans than I am of this sweet thing, I bought mine as a back up take in vacation unit only but I was surprised on how well it worked, how much it found right out of the box and it became my prime for 3 years.
It literally found me over 10X's what I paid for it in clad, silver and gold in those three years hunting mostly in just public parks so how can you not have fond memories of all those experiences?

There are still a few dealers out there with old stock, the 5 year warranty is still good on the new ones but the best value multiple coil packages are pretty much gone now.
Getting that almost free sniper coil made this a better value than most for the price in years past.

The new generation entry level units use AA batteries instead of two 9 volts, that waterproofing is nice to have, one issue I had with the new ones is a lack of a cheaper sniper coil option but one has now been released so not an issue anymore.

There are still those that have bought new ones recently, whatever still left out there, people are still selling them used and others are still buying them but the industry has moved on...as is normal and as it should.
The F2 had a great run and many will still be used for a long time but so many more options and features on the new generation units dictated that this one should be retired...by the factory, anyway.
Out with the old, in with the new...such is life.

For those that have an F2 if they are thinking of moving to an F22 that would be silly...a sideways move for the most part, but for those entering the hobby buying new choosing between only these two the upgraded and more modern technology choice would be more logical.
To me, anyway.

Keep yours, use it, enjoy it or one day sell it if you want when it is time for an upgrade.
I got an F70 and never took out my F2 again after I did.
Never regretted that, it was time to move on and up to different levels and experiences but I will never forget all that I experienced with that wonderful F2.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread