Legal or Illegal?

Jwilson534

Mar 2, 2017
Southeast ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I live in a town that is a historical district and the town is actually listed on the historical website. I'm wondering would that make the entire town illegal to detect since it's listed as a historical district? There is a cop in our town that I was told metal detects and he says it's legal to detect the grassy areas between the road and sidewalks because that is owned by the city. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark has it right. On public property I feel its better to ask forgiveness than permission. Just do it like you own it, leave neat filled holes and pick up trash to display if you are stopped and you won't get (a) hard time. Once you get warned then you should pack it in since you can't plead ignorance twice. State land here is ok but anything national battlefield or historic and you should not detect or at least need to use your discretion so you don't lose your detector and or freedom.If you go around asking and calling pretty soon there will be a slew of new ordinances. Its just the nature of beaurocracy . If there is no answer they will keep convoluting until they come up with one and it won't be the one you are hoping for. It will be the safe and easy "no, not without forms and fees".
Private property always ask so you don't receive a gunshot wound or dog bite.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once detected a beach at Jamestown. NATIONAL PARK! No detecting! Really. I was a newbie. I didn't know. I found some stuff. As I walked back to the car, carrying my detector, I was met by a park ranger. He wasn't smiling. He asked if I found anything. Out of my pocket I pulled out pieces of glass, candy wrappers, aluminum foil, bottle caps.... and right in the middle.... a gold earing! All he said was "Get outta here". I told this story here years ago but the theme is still the same today. Clean up, clean up, clean up, and it may get you out of a jam. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What ? You weren't "arrested" ? Your machine wasn't "confiscated" ? You weren't "jailed" ? All you got was a scram ? :)
Nope, nope, nope, and yes. I know where you're going with this. Detecting NP's is serious business. Yes, I could have lost big time. As a twenty year police officer, I can appreciate both sides of the debate. Very few policemen aggressively prosecute non-consequential events unless there is a series of complaints or the "law breaker" cops an attitude. Too much stupid paperwork. I'm sure I took the ranger by surprise by showing my clean-up efforts. The resulting court case would only punish me for cleaning up. Anyway, my point is that our positive conduct CAN make a difference. Take care, my friend. Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions