New To Forum ... Looking For a New Metal Detector

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a few years since I've been out with my detectors - Minelab Musketeer and a Tesoro Silver Max. They were bought back around 2005 time frame.

I'm assuming that metal detectors have embraced technology and have continued to improve.

So ... any suggestions? I live in rural Colorado and my hunting areas are old home sites, old school sites, parks ... I don't want to spend a fortune on a detector. Looking for the best bang for the buck. Would like to keep it under $500.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your detectors are probably just as good as the 2017 models. Check out the new coils, those are probably the biggest improvement.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start with what you have. In that price range, there hasn't been that drastic an improvement. If you need it to be waterproof, get a used AT Pro.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The musketeer will do you fine for your hunting. I'm not sure of the coil availability for it but it was the forerunner of the X-terra line. I've seen some on here say it's every bit as good as the 705. Maybe 'longhair' or one of the other experienced minelab folks can jump in and elaborate.

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Biggest improvement is recent years is the "recover speed" which allows you to pickup good targets in trash/iron. I know Teknetics, Fisher, and Garrett have this, but would only recommend a Garrett such at AT Pro. Teknetics, Fisher, and Bounty Hunter are all owned by Texas First, and I'm not happy with the blatant software bugs in their machines.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use and enjoy the Eurotek Pro and the Omega 8000 version 6. Both are great coin hunters and the iron audio on the ETP is awesome.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, our new friend. The Tesoro Mojave for $251.10 is a good detector. Good hunting and good luck.

trichmond3256

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2011
Germantown, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I just bought a Garrett AT Pro and LOVE it! It's easy to learn. Probably one of the best features of it is that it tells me what NOT to dig :-) JMTFWIW

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you were still using a BFO, I would say upgrade but what you have will do just fine. You have connected with the world's largest and, in my opinion, greatest "treasure" site. LOTS of info here, good, bad, and indifferent. You will soon pick up on which posters to follow to glean good info. Welcome. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions