DukeBoxer

Feb 3, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave and Compadre
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a Nel thunder coil for my AT Pro and I'm wondering if anyone has any hands on experience with one to answer a few questions. The most important being how's the separation really? The website says 8.5/10 which seems pretty good (the sharpshooter says 9/10) but what's the real world, field tested results? I've looked on YouTube for some info but I haven't found anything that highlights the separation. Also how's the extra weight treating your arm? Thanks

Upvote 0

SuchMuch

Jan 7, 2017
St.Petersburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Sorex Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In yr case I would rather be concerned if you are able to run metal detector hot with NEL coil

OP
OP
D

DukeBoxer

Feb 3, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, sorry. New guy here...

Edit: Google...If running it hot means running in pro zero, no discrimination and full sensitivity that's what I do with the stock coil, sometimes a notch or 2 down on the sensitivity. I've seen videos of people testing them with some chatter. So let me ask that also. Can you run the at pro wide open with the thunder coil?

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a Nel Hunter coil on my ATPro and loved it. It separated better than the stock coil ( not as good as the 5x8) and was noticeably deeper. Weight difference for me was not much different. I always ran my sensitivity full blast, but had to drop two points to settle this coil down. I am very pleased with it's performance.

HH, RN

Triple555nickel

Mar 14, 2017
Staten Island, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excal II, AT Pro w/ 14" Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put the 14" NEL Storm coil on my AT Pro, the depth is unbelievable. We were at a colonial site and my buddy found 2 draped bust coins in the same hole with his XP Deus at about 11 or 12". He thought he could hear something else but wasn't sure, I ran that 14" coil over the hole and heard another signal loud and clear. He was able to pull a third draped bust out!
I cannot attest to any difference in separation but it picks up the tiniest of buttons. I even found a trime and 2 half reales with the big coil. If you're in a trashy area I might suggest the small 5" NEL.
I do have to say that with the big storm coil my arm is tired at the end of the day, that coil is pretty heavy. The Thunder looks a bit lighter.

Last edited:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking at the thunder coil also . I just got the detecting buddy strap to help with the weight of a larger coil . Here is a utube vid on the coil . Looks good .

OP
OP
D

DukeBoxer

Feb 3, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info guys! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and report back!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions