doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are the conditions like near Salt Lake City area, I imagine the soil has a high saline content but what about the soil itself is it hard gumbo clay like material..where I live the soil is of the following type and what impact does it have on conductivity, yes clay holds more water so conductivity would be greater but how does salt affect conductivity, I would imagine transmits/receives higher but what how the detector responds to this, would it be harder to detect due to more halo effect due to the fact that the ground experiences corrosion more?

Does this cause falsing more with a detector? I am not dealing with iron in my soil.

I clipped this off the net somewhere. But in the Prairies we have likely similar affects maybe not as high in Salt Lake City area??

In prairie soils, the major highly soluble salts
are sulphates of magnesium and sodium such as thenardite
(NaSO4) and epsomite (MgSO4 7H2O) and halite
(NaCl). The solubility of these salts is typically four to
five orders of magnitude higher than for carbonate
minerals (Van Breemen and Buurman 2002) and hence
the highly soluble salts present in the parent sediment can
be readily leached out and transported through the
groundwater system. Saline soils occur where discharge
of the solute-rich groundwater occurs (see Miller and
Brierley 2011).

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Single frequency machines generally have a hard time in a high salt content area. In those areas, a multifrequency machine will be more stable and get better depth. a PI machine will work good in those areas too, but, they don't have any discrimination.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread