Most unpopular detectors right now?

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without brand bashing for no good reason what detectors would be the most unpopular and or slowest sellers these days?
Long in the tooth, superceded or just have a bad reputatiuon .If you had to choose the most unpopluar right now....

possibly the bottom end x terra 305 /505? They seem to have been around along time.

Macro racer 1? also a slow mover according to the local dealer...

Anyone else?

Upvote 0

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY NOW.........lets go easy on the 70's Radio Shack machines, I still have mine! LOL.........

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 97

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That picture was taken earlier in the year (maybe even late last I don't recall), but I'm pretty sure it still has the original Radio Shack batteries in it.

Sometime over the weekend I will get it back out and have a look.

Do you remember the "Battery of the Month Club" they used to have?

Every month you could go in with your battery card and get a free battery, and they would punch your ticket so that you couldn't rip them off. LOL....

One battery back then really did you no good (well 9v maybe), but we still lined up and got our free battery. Hahahahaha...........

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL, it was like going deer hunting and having a 14 point walk right up to you. Too easy, so I had to fire a spoiler. He's too good to reply and get some good natured rivalry going.

Jason, do you and Tom mock me because you disagree with me, or simply because you are both secretly in love with me? :hello:

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY NOW.........lets go easy on the 70's Radio Shack machines, I still have mine! LOL.........

Did you ever find much with them? If so what was the deepest coin you ever found?

If I remember correctly my dad bought a metal detector kit - from Radio Shack I believe. Late 60s or early 70s. He put it together and took it out - probably what got me interested in detecting later. Anyhow I don't think we found anything with them but some big old piece of iron that came off a tractor. Wish I had that thing today just for a relic.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever find much with them? If so what was the deepest coin you ever found?

If I remember correctly my dad bought a metal detector kit - from Radio Shack I believe. Late 60s or early 70s. He put it together and took it out - probably what got me interested in detecting later. Anyhow I don't think we found anything with them but some big old piece of iron that came off a tractor. Wish I had that thing today just for a relic.

At that age the only thing I remember finding, is that other kids will pick on you because they think you are a geek! LOL.....

It was so long ago I truly don't remember, but it mustn't have deterred me because I'm still at all these years later.

A few years ago I let somebody borrow it to see if they could find their lost hearing aid, and although they didn't find that, they did tell me they found other stuff.

When the snow melts where I am, perhaps I will take it out and give it a go and see what I can find.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the Ace and AT lines are big sellers for Garrett, you rarely hear of anyone using the older green machines anymore.

There's a guy in my local club who uses one of those green Garrett machines. First time I saw him with it at a club outing I thought, "Wow, he found a nice relic already. Oh wait..." :laughing7:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and Garret, Fisher, Whites, and even Minelab when it comes to single-freq VLF machines. :occasion14:

Yes multi-freq are the way to go for most detecting...but don't take your fbs to a competition hunt where simplicity and speed are the most important thing.
You want a single freq & fast machine like the fisher 1235x or tesoro cibola and similar machines, & yes i still regret selling my 1235x.:censored:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, It almost pisses me off to see these cheap pieces of junk being sold at Wally World, sporting goods stores etc. I keep wondering how many people buy these junkers, go home get fed up the first day, throw it in the closet and figure they're all this bad. Then they completely give up on a great hobby that has nothing but benefits. Sad thing........

Leaves more for us to find! Besides, if they're that ignorant they would probably be the type that leave open holes!

Bay Beagle

Apr 6, 2012
Central, Virginia
Detector(s) used
DEUS XP V5
MINELAB EXPLORER II
NAUTILUS DMC
WHITES COIN MASTER
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whites Coinmaster has the slowest "recovery speed" of any detector I've used in 20 years, yet its still sold.
Whites needs a complete update on this one.

coinmaster.jpg My Mom had plenty of patience

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only question is are there any scratches on the loop? :laughing7: Like new in the original box says a lot. :tongue3: Used to hunt circles around those with my bounty hunter BFO. I think I got more hunt time in because I wasn't constantly having to stop and pull the shaft out again & again. Was going to buy one, but opted for the electronics lab kit. And built one that had a radio & a calculator to count my finds. :tongue3:

Any of you other ole timers notice that the components like resistors & caps Rat Shack sold were what was used in their other products?

If it wasn't in something they sold it wasn't on the hook. Pretty good idea! Buy enough for production and a ton to sell as components to get a better price from suppliers.

Not bashing just funning!!!!!!:tongue3:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, radioshack is still selling the exact same POS metal detector model I bought 35 years ago! It better than nothing to get some kid into the hobby, but it really is junk.

Well I just saw a radio shack detector this morning
on craigslist in the LA area with an asking price of ...get ready for it ...$500 bucks! I almost fell outta of my chair laughing!
radio1.jpg radio2.jpg

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't think of a machine I've had that I haven't liked. I haven't updated my machines used section in a while but over the last year I've had 16 machines pass through my hands and they were all good for their purposes. The only thing I'll say is that I didn't care for the lack of pinpoint function on older Bounty Hunters. I think it's an important feature and the lack of it is noticed on otherwise great machines like the Discovery 2200, Pioneer 505, original Land Ranger etc. These are machines that could've easily included it. Out of all the machines that have passed through my hands and hung on my wall I'm down to 4 after a quality over quantity fit I just went on. I have the F75 LTD camo, Whites MX Sport, Garrett Ace 250 with underwater box from Ukraine, and a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. My goal is to add a Minelab multifrequency machine by the end of this season. Probably the Safari. Out of the 4 remaining there's something I don't like about each. The Garrett has no cam locks. The LRP pinpointer button wears out quickly, the MX Sport has very poor build quality from the lower rod down, very flimsy down there in proportion to its upper weight and strong upper build quality. The F75 LTD is my favorite. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of variable notching. It engages in partial segment notching. I have no problem with any features it does have, just one it doesn't. Couldn't ask for a better single frequency VLF machine.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While the Ace and AT lines are big sellers for Garrett, you rarely hear of anyone using the older green machines anymore.

My friend has this one and I don't know how good/bad it is, but I do know for so reason he looks funny as hell using it. IMG_2030.JPG Laughing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread