Most unpopular detectors right now?

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without brand bashing for no good reason what detectors would be the most unpopular and or slowest sellers these days?
Long in the tooth, superceded or just have a bad reputatiuon .If you had to choose the most unpopluar right now....

possibly the bottom end x terra 305 /505? They seem to have been around along time.

Macro racer 1? also a slow mover according to the local dealer...

Anyone else?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll know if they're unpopular when the manufacturer stops making them. Low end detectors aren't very popular with the veteran detectorists, but they are with the newbies. High end detectors aren't too popular with newbies due to cost, but the veterans lust after them. Problem detectors usually get pulled pretty quick before the company gets too much bad press. Naturally, some detectors are going to be more popular that others, just like buying anything else. That doesn't necessarily mean the others are junk. Even 20-25 year old detectors will find 90% of their newer counterparts. They may not even be supported anymore, let alone sold, but, they're still a good machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a 30-year-old, hand-built Minelab prototype, the forerunner of the Excalibur. Very few machines have fallen out of favor in the last 20-years, because nothing has changed much in the technology. Sure, materials are lighter, stronger, and a bit faster, and you have more "tools" on the visual control panel - but no deeper, no better discrimination. Machines build fan bases, and slowly, ever so slowly fade away. :skullflag:

Attachments

• 25yearoldminelabproto.JPG
    25yearoldminelabproto.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 167

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst detectors today are those pieces of garbage put out by chinese counterfeiters. Some are just 40 year old tech with pretty stickers.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a 30-year-old, hand-built Minelab prototype, the forerunner of the Excalibur. Very few machines have fallen out of favor in the last 20-years, because nothing has changed much in the technology. Sure, materials are lighter, stronger, and a bit faster, and you have more "tools" on the visual control panel - but no deeper, no better discrimination. Machines build fan bases, and slowly, ever so slowly fade away. :skullflag:

I'll take 2 please! Lol...that's an awesome looking rig there Terry...Ddf

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites Coinmaster has the slowest "recovery speed" of any detector I've used in 20 years, yet its still sold.
Whites needs a complete update on this one.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While the Ace and AT lines are big sellers for Garrett, you rarely hear of anyone using the older green machines anymore.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my new purchase of a Etrac, I would say all of my other detectors atm. lol

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ones they sell at Wally World lol

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that don't find the silver and gold would be at the bottom of my list.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOL'd when I read this.

Jason, You are something else!

Well played sir.

LOL, it was like going deer hunting and having a 14 point walk right up to you. Too easy, so I had to fire a spoiler. He's too good to reply and get some good natured rivalry going.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well said Cuda.

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Radio Shack metal detectors I would say.In fact nothing about Radio Shack is what it used to be.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radio Shack metal detectors I would say.In fact nothing about Radio Shack is what it used to be.

LOL, radioshack is still selling the exact same POS metal detector model I bought 35 years ago! It better than nothing to get some kid into the hobby, but it really is junk.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones they sell at Wally World lol
Yeah, It almost pisses me off to see these cheap pieces of junk being sold at Wally World, sporting goods stores etc. I keep wondering how many people buy these junkers, go home get fed up the first day, throw it in the closet and figure they're all this bad. Then they completely give up on a great hobby that has nothing but benefits. Sad thing........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread