First Silver, and it's BIG!

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to the sports park around the corner tonight to grab some clad, and hopefully some gold. No gold, but decent clad, a bracelet charm (kids), and other bits and bobs.

I was following the soccer field perimeter, as the parents tend to sit there, and about 3/4 of the way around, got what I thought was a quarter signal, and the Explorer was saying about 1-2". Hit it with the TRX, but no surface signal, so I popped a plug, and about 5" down, I found what appeared to be a large token. It's about 12:30am, and dark, and all I could see was a big brown disk with some unrecognizable detail. I've found a couple of soccer related medals at this park, so I figured it was something along those lines.

Get back to the car, and decided to have a closer look. Well I'll be!

IMG_0229 (Small).JPG IMG_0232 (Small).JPG

It's a 1939 Canada $1 silver! :headbang:

That's my first silver coin, and it's my second oldest (1896 IHP the other day). So far, 3 of my 5 oldest coins are Canadian (1939, 1940, 1944), which I find to be kind of weird.

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
First silver gets you into the silver dollar club! That is amazing! Grats to ya and thanks for sharing. I would LOVE to see that coin in the hole! Nice find and may your next trip out bring the GOLD.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Silver is silver no matter where from and that is nice!:icon_thumright:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's just crazy. I don't recall having seen one of these on TNet... and I'm here almost every day.

Congrats on a killer silver. Remember it well, cause this will NOT happen again.

That's a great way to start. Congrats!

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how it got there. Park is from the 50's at the earliest, and there were very few homes in the area even then. My guess is it can in with fill dirt, but I don't care how it got there, it's mine now! Muh-ha-ha!!!!

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk,
There have been Snow Birds visiting Florida for ages. That is how my mother met my father.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk,
There have been Snow Birds visiting Florida for ages. That is how my mother met my father.

I was going to say the same thing......especially St Pete's. Isn't that the retirement capital of Florida anyway?

I say that only because my father winters there every year.

regardless of how it got there though, great find!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin. Somtimes they bring out big old coins for the coin flips at sports fields. I have found big silver near the middle of the field. They are heavy coins and fall out easy!! Nice find!!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Nice coin. It is great digging big silver.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG! That big nice KG silver was only the second silver coin produced. Made in commemoration for the visit of KG and Elisabeth II in 1939. Minimal value is 13,66 CAN$, according to numicanada. There is a "double HP" variety and a "triple HP" variety.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread