bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been detecting about four months and loving it ! I've noticed something about my little city (Population 300.000) , i've been hitting the parks and been doing REAL good, Four parks i've pulled over $20 bucks out of ! One i pulled $32.61 , best day so far ! A couple others around $10. Two parks , diddly squat. those two were on the edge of town. The others are decent sized parks, in the center of town, not on the outskirts.
Lots of quarters, so i know no other detectorists have been there. That's funny because were right next to the beach , And on any given weekend you'll see five or six guys detecting there ! LOL! One park that i did real good at is directly across the street from the beach !
I've tried the beaches , boring, can walk for half an hour before a hit. And its probably trash.Did find one small gold ring tho.

Shhhhhhh,,,Don't tell them,i'll keep the parks all to myself !

Upvote 0

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shhhhhhh,,,Don't tell them,i'll keep the parks all to myself !
I'll keep quiet for a cut. Say 30%?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I relate it to lottery scratch off tickets. I dig penny signals as I only buy $1 scratch offs, yet other want the gold and those are likely the people who buy the $20 scratch offs. I average about $350 each year in face value of coins, that equates to digging 1 good ring. So who is better off? I enjoy this hobby and it's more about the research and the time out enjoying the hobby, If I wanted money, I'd pick up a part time job, since most sites only give up about $1.50 per hour. I have had 2 honey holes, one is played out, and gave me a little over $200 in clad and another over $300 and I did have days where I averaged about $8 an hour when I first hot them. They were so full of coins that there were plenty of hunts that if it did not ring in as a quarter or higher, I did not dig it.

Sounds like you have a good thing going, that clad adds up. I deposit my clad into a hobby account (at the end of the season) and use it to buy hobby related gear, or other detectors.

GL & HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There might be some detecting it still, if their like me they bypass the clad looking only for the silver coins as I'd rather not dig any clad. HH

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
If the park has that much clad hidden in them I'll guarentee there are more than one gold ring lurking there...and a lot more jewelry period!

Clear out all that clad coinage as fast as you can- copper cents and up. This discourages many other detectorists from working your patch when they realize it's slim pickins for coins and then you'll not need to worry someone else is going to swoop in and bag your gold on accident. That's what I'd do.

Good luck and go get 'em.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Been detecting about four months .....
Lots of quarters, so i know no other detectorists have been there. ...

bravobob, welcome to the hobby and welcome to T'net. Don't conclude the parks near you haven't been hit, since they are riddled with clad. Because it's as wingmaster says:

There might be some detecting it still, if their like me they bypass the clad looking only for the silver coins as I'd rather not dig any clad. HH

Some hunters do the older parks for strictly the deeper whispers, in their quest for old-coins only. Yes: passing shallow clad. Even quarters. And they'd pass surface low conductors too. Yes that means they'd miss gold rings, sure. But then some of them/us strategized that if gold rings were our goal, they'd simply go to where gold rings are better odds/ratios. Not strip-mine turf of all low conductors.

So I can think of parks around me that .... yes ... you could rack of $10 in clad on any day you chose to go there. But that's all clad that has accumulated in the last 20 to 25 yrs. Rest assured that in the late 1970s , through the 1980s, THOUSANDS of silver coins, and all the surface clad was cleaned out back then. And since then, a new carpet of clad (and foil and tabs and screwcaps) has been introduced.

I can think of parks we used to get silver out of, that I pity the poor fellow who goes there now looking for silver. Oh sure, they'll be full of clad and low conductors.

..... I've tried the beaches , boring, can walk for half an hour before a hit. And its probably trash.Did find one small gold ring tho. ...

Wandering the dry sand for random losses, sure, that's no fun (especially if locals are keeping it cleaned of all recent-loss-targets) But If you hit the beach after storm erosion strips out the sand, you can get into pockets of targets that can be potentially so think, that you can spend hours in an area no bigger than your living room. And then you'd never go back to dry sand hunting again, nor ever bother with "strip-mining" turf of low conductors in a quest for gold, since you'd be spoiled rotten :)

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The guy who got me started has gold fever,all he talked about was finding a gold ring. He's found two so far.
I'm more excited about the silver. Better odds.The parks i've been going to are old, 100 years plus.Not a lot of landscaping, the trees have big root flairs , not a lot of overburden. The grass is old,lots of weeds mixed in with bare spots.
If other guys are hunting silver , they've missed some, i've got 4 dimes,one quarter and four silver rings. All around 6in deep. But that's about how deep my little Bounty Hunter Prospector goes.
I'm going to get all the clad i can and get something that can go deeper. There's more silver there, i can feel it. I tend to swing like a drunken sailor , i know that means im missing a lot, but i get to go back and find more.

Last month there was four feet of cut at the beach because of storms, but since then , two feet of fresh sand has come back. The deep gold here is out of reach until next winters storms.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate guys like Tom that avoid low conductors in parks and clear the annoying coins out. Wish I had a shoreline within 1200 miles...I'd be hitting those beaches when storm-primed and raping the parks when it is all sanded back in. Gold only waits for those that want it bad enough to dig it.

Tom knows the fever feeling I'm sure. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread