is it ok to buy a detector from aboard. For use in UK

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing wrong with buying abroad. Some detectors may need to have the screen calibrated for your coins to register correctly. Or you can just adjust your thinking to match the icon to what the coin really is. You can also ask the manufacturer if this service is available to you. This would only apply to detectors with LCD screens.

Don't worry about "dumb" questions. Some of the answers we give appear dumb too.

Take Care,
Sandman

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
The only worry would be with rechargable batteries (Re. the charger unit), but some chargers have switchable or auto switch features, or you would have to buy the charger in the uk. If you bought one with switchable power, you would still need an adapter ´plug as UK sockets are different from US (European being like shaver sockets, UK being 3 pin, US being different again). Your iother problem would be import tax, and of course guarranty problems (With the associated away time and shipping costs). What you gain on the swings, you loose on the roundabouts.
HH Ray

T

Tall-paul

the coins differ greatly and ive tried this as i used to live in the uk and i tried two xt 50's one from uk one from us they register coins on different levels, best buying in the uk, in my opinion, go to Crawfords and see Mark, or mail them they ship out and will do you a decent price, www.crawfordsmd.com

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My tip would also be to buy form the UK or Europe..Coins are indeed very different

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
strike it rich said:
I live in the UK and am considering buying a md from abroad will this work as well in UK or do the internal settings need changing thanks sorry for asking what looks like a dumb question but i kinda figure the presets for currency will differ for say Usa

Like sandman wrote the calibration for coins (meter machines) would be different but detectors are detectors.

If you're a big meter person then you may want to buy a U.K. compliant unit. If you don't care for the meters, then buy from this country because you'll usually get a lower price.

Many of my used detectors ended up somewhere in Europe.

Badger

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I have sold about 20 detectors to people in the UK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread