Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is a pic of a Stainless Steel wedding ring and a 1954 silver quarter after being poorly stored together for about 6 months. I found both last year metal detecting the west coast beaches of Florida. When I found the ring it looked "new" and the quarter had beautiful light brown patina. After finding them and a bunch of other "OK" targets early last year, I stored them in a sealed plastic bag. In the fall, I opened the bag and discovered that the SS ring almost welded itself to the silver quarter. Parts of the edge of the ring are now missing and particles are welded to the coin. The collector value of the ring and quarter are gone. The ring is now worthless and the quarter is only worth it's spot silver value.
What happened? I believe that there were sea salt remnants of the ring and coin and the sealed plastic bag sealed in moisture. In physical contact, the salt and moisture created the ideal conditions for an electrolytic action to take place and, in this case, material from the stainless steel ring was transferred to the coin.
This experience has taught me the value of washing and drying well my metal detector finds and the need to place valuable finds in separate envelops. :BangHead:
SSRing and Silver 1954 Quarter.jpg

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to me like you broke up a perfect union. Those two different metals were really swapping electrons!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anything you want to save that's been in salt water, let the items sit in fresh water for a week, dump and do it again. Use an aquarium hydrometer to test the salt content of the old water after about the 3rd water change. It's ok after sitting a week with zero salt content and store everything dry.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
You created a little battery with dissimilar metals.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beerguy got it right. Electrolysis. Basically the same thing that happens when you leave batteries in a machine causing that nasty crud to form. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread