Used Detectors ...

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been toying with the idea of buying an F70 or F75 - spending upwards of $500. Have had several suggestions to look at a used detector. So - is it safe to buy a used detector? I wouldn't buy one that is all banged up but if in good looking condition would you buy one?

If you would what are some used detectors that you would want?

I will be using it to hunt old farm sites, old rural schools, coin shooting at parks, possibly old forts and battle grounds. Looking for a machine that is known for depth - hence my leaning toward an F70 or F75.

Any input would be helpful. Once my taxes are done - ugh - I can figure out what I can afford.

Upvote 0

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both my detectors were bought off Craigslist used. Both were in great physical condition. Both work amazing.

I tested both out in advance and went with companies that support their products (Whites and Tesoro) so in the event, I had a Lemon, the company would back me up.

My used headphones from Whites had a piece of plastic broken that the original owner had McGuyvered back together which broke on my first time using them. Whites sent me a whole new pair of headphones to replace the broken ProStar headphones I received with my detector. I prefer to buy used from companies that have solid warranties on their products.

Going used it fine. Make sure the machine works (test it in the field before you buy). Inspect for visual damage, cracks, dents, loose cables, whatever.

And finally, don't pay any more than you are willing to lose. I went into both deals knowing that I might have to pay for some repair work if the detectors were not in as good of condition as I thought they were. But in both cases I was getting a hell of a deal, saving hundreds of dollars off retail price plus accessories.

Would I buy a used Minelab GPX for $5000? Probably not. Maybe someone else would. Would I drop $350-500 on a used detector? Absolutely.

Don in SoCal

Jul 19, 2014
Corona
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800; 11", 6X9CT... Compadre; 6C, 8OOR, 3X18 Cleansweep...GM4b; 6X9DD, 6X9C ...ML Sovereign; 8 & 10 Tornado, 10X12 Detech SEF …GP3500, 6X8 Sadie, 12 EVO, 14 CT Mono&DD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey KJ, Every detector that I have ever bought was previously owned. Some I've connected with, others not so much. I've been through about 10 and currently just retain 4. I have never purchased a bad used unit. For the F75, I do not have one, but I would definitely like to take one for a 'test drive', very impressive. On u-tube look up Scannerguy1968, he does some great unbiased reviews on a number of machines as well as the F75 which is one of his fav's. The stock coil that comes from the factory with each machine is usually the most versatile but eventually you'll want get a small shooter coil for trashy areas then maybe a large 'Ultimate 13"' for wide open areas. But that will be down the road after you learn the 'language' of your machine. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most used detectors I have picked up are in mint condition usually the rechargeable battery goes bad from no use try it first before you buy you might want to think about a used safari I have found the fisher to be a chatter box just my opinion look at the coil wire closely for cracks read up on the machine your going to look at first check for common things the fail test all functions good luck

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought my 1st detector new online and have since bought many used and have never had an issue with them. I have an older F75 (non DST) that I will sell for $320 shipped. I'll throw in a 6.5" concentric coil for an additional $40. If you'd like a probe installed I will add one for $90. I have taken it out hunting several times and have had no problem quieting it down in high EMI areas. Many who use the F75 think they need to crank up the sensitivity which is not the case. I normally hunt at sens between 65 and 75 in urban areas. I also think that many people do not know how to flip through the 7 freq's to find a quiet one. PM me if you are interested.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My Fisher 1260X is 34 years old, used and well worn, a wee bit floppy now, but I went through a bonfire site filled with nails, and it cut right through plucking pennies. My 1265X is just a couple years younger, circa 1985, in beautiful condition, purchased used just as soon as I saw it available on here. I wasn't afraid of buying it, wanted to get one when they first came out. Certainly no regrets here!

My CTX was used, bought it here. My Excal II was used, bought it here. I literally saved well over $1000 over the new prices, and will not hesitate to buy another used machine.

In my view, buying a used machine through TreasureNet from proven members is fairly risk free. I just sold my second Excal II (I'd purchased here), and it really did make the purchaser very happy, primo condition. It is tax time so I wasn't using it and it was just collecting dust. Almost every day I go to the For Sale forums on TNet looking for something I want to have.

I've missed a few great deals when other members pulled the trigger before I ran across the ad. I've also purchased used coils here. Have you seen the price of new coils for the CTX?

Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen the price of new coils for the CTX?

bought the 17" at Kellyco a while back in Fl. WOW !
$399, i do think i got a little break off of that if memory serves me...

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Roamer, even the Minelab lower shafts are pricey.

I just picked up a couple of Andersons, well one is still on backorder.

Saved 150 bucks by going with the Anderson CF's.

My 17" was free during last years promotion.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Not wanting to change the thread topic, why did you need extra lower shafts? Do the stock ones wear out? Pardon my ignorance!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Deepseeker,

I bought extra lower shafts for my spare coils.

Now I have each coil on a separate lower, 6", 11" and 17", and changing coils is fast.

I also hope to extend the life of my coils by having slightly less abuse from changing coils. Those mounting ears on ML coils feel really flimsy.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, that really does make good sense. I'll be looking at the Anderson's then.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
K-J...All 6 of my Minelabs were bought used from ebay, including 3 E-Tracs. The most I paid for an individual machine has been $875. Every one has worked perfectly and I could easily pass off 4 of them as new. You just need to check the photos carefully, read the descriptions and ask questions. I'm very happy having gone the used route. 😁

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Treasure Hunter has an Explorer for sale on this forum right now. Great price and still under warranty.

Jump on it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter has an Explorer for sale on this forum right now. Great price and still under warranty.

Jump on it.

I have member already expressed interest on it, if it falls through I will update the thread.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought my last three detectors used, a White's MX Sport, a White's Coinmaster and a Minelab Explorer XS all have done well. The Explorer Xs is ans was old and well used when I bought it and the Headphone jack has failed but otherwise it works fine. Both White's units work great. Be selective and if you can check before buying, do so.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KJ I use a site called "AdHuntr" which allows one to search all of craigslist at once. Often there are good used machines just outside your local area that a plain craigslist search won't show. I agree with the others, used is a great way to go. So many people try a detector then realize they just don't have the patience to dig all the trash we all do and get discouraged when they don't find "treasure" right away and sell their slightly used machines at a good discount. Many used machines are available with plenty of remaining warranty on them.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 10 detectors, all used ones. 6xTesoro, 1xFisher, 1xMinelab, 2xTeknetics. I only had problems with the 2 Teknetics (Omega 8000). I was Lucky that there was a 5 year guarantee on them so they were repared for free. I use the Tesoro's the most and they also feel the most reliable of my collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread