Dig'em deep and no signs of even being there..hmmm not too sure..

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been hunting some parks and schools, etc....have dug some good targets at 6, 8-10 inches ( not after recent clad, keeping my plugs to a minimum).... after being as
careful as possible, I fill and replace plug, stand up, tamp with foot real good, and after taking great care, it still looks bad, to me anyway...
...these type areas are well trodden with very short grass.....very hard to put back exactly as found....should I avoid these hard pack type areas, or do some of you go for it and do the very best you can ? Which digging tool do you use to get a better hinged DEEP plug?

???

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around me is alot of hard clay, so i carefully dig a plug just deep enough to clear the grass roots. then I dig everything else onto a piece of plastic. seems to look better for me that way since im not wrenching on the plug so much trying to dig it to the clay.

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
using the Predator 31 Raptor most times, for those deep targets, also have a Lesche ground shark 36 T handle, this one looks wicked, and choose where to be
seen with this puppy....does a heck of a job though....

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found that when digging a deep plug, don't pour all the dirt back in at once. I put a couple inches back in at a time, and pack down each layer, instead of trying to stomp down all the "fluffed up" dirt with the plug. It ends up looking a whole lot better, in my experience.

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around me is alot of hard clay, so i carefully dig a plug just deep enough to clear the grass roots. then I dig everything else onto a piece of plastic. seems to look better for me that way since im not wrenching on the plug so much trying to dig it to the clay.

yes, this is a good approach......the cloth is a must, and the puzzle piece must fit to the puzzle.....:thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two part process: turn a flap of the sod and then dig the deeper plug. Putting the dirt on a pad that can be tipped back in the hole is the best for leaving no soil on the grass.

If you leave dirt on the surface when it dries it looks like a dead spot whether it is or not.

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two part process: turn a flap of the sod and then dig the deeper plug. Putting the dirt on a pad that can be tipped back in the hole is the best for leaving no soil on the grass.

If you leave dirt on the surface when it dries it looks like a dead spot whether it is or not.

ohhh so true....:thumbsup:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
You must finish by grooming the surface with your hand and fingers.

Fluff the grass while brushing any stray soil into the surrounding vegetation. If there were dead leaves and grass about then put them back too. Pay attention to the edges of a plug taking care the vegetation is not caught between the sidewall and the plug.

The only trace I like to leave are my foot tracks in the grass. Sometimes that itself is more challenging than actually metal detecting.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try to make sure that any tire marks from the backhoe are not visible and that any small trees I might have knocked over while digging are stood back up.

Just kidding.

Actually, I am glad I read this topic as I have picked up some good pointers on how to make it look as if I have never been there. I use mostly the Garrett digging tool and employ the horseshoe flap method but have had mixed results. Now I will try some of the above mentioned tips which will help I am sure.

Bill

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hit an area where it's just impossible to get all the dirt back in the hole without leaving a mound, I don't even try. I just take a handful or two of loose dirt and toss it like grass seed. Strewn about like that, it won't be seen. The flap will now fit back over the hole and sit flat. I use a screw driver to work the edges back together......I call it stitching the grass. Comb in over with your fingers and you're done.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Leach 28" with sharpened edges. I make 2 cuts to depth ( my ATP says the depth is 3" more than it really is) on each side
then angle cut from front and fold back the flap at target depth---If needed cut the bottom of plug or deeper and put dirt on sheet--
get target ,dump in loose dirt and replace plug-stomp it down. Perry

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Check edges after stomping. Some ( clay can be one) soil types compact and leave gaps.
Some edges can be worked from beyond plug into walls of plug. Moisture matters in shaping and holding though. One wet day a fist can close a thin gap from the outside and on another a heel is required.

When assured the flap is secured and no air gaps, I give it a light brush with gloved hand and blend surface with whatever debris is constant on surrounding area.
Adding some if needed to not leave a noticeable clean spot. Blended. Looking like the rest of the ground. No gaps or anything out of " normal" left.

Cosmo3

Feb 8, 2017
Chattanooga, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Hori-Hori Knife, Gerber Folding Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Hori Hori Digger on all my plugs. It makes a clean cut and doesn't upset the locals like a large digger. I also bought several small towels from Wally World that I paid like .79 cents a piece for. I always deposit dirt after the plug on one of these then empty into the hole when finished. It also helps in finding your target, it doesn't get lost in the grass. This leaves almost no trace of your plug or dig. Like others I give it a light brush with the hand to blend the grass in.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The towel is key to keeping it look good. I grabbed a 12 pack of microfiber towels, 12x14" for $5 at Wally World.

Most of the 'soil' around here is 90% sand will 10% dirt, which makes cutting a true plug almost impossible. I typically try and cut a 'U' and flip the grass layer, then scoop the sand/soil onto the towel. Occasionally I have a hump, but stomping usually corrects that. I like the idea of refilling a bit at a time, and tamping as you go.

A sports park I hunt has more 'normal' soil, and is hard-packed, and has very short grass. I was worried about cutting plugs, but the ground formed great plugs, and were easy to put back. Went back a week later, and where I did dig plugs looked fine, and if I hadn't dug them myself and known where they were, I wouldn't have known it was disturbed. When I initially replaced the plug, you could see the seam, but those have disappeared.

I saw a youtube video about cutting plugs, and the guy said to cut deep, even for shallow targets, so as not to rip the roots apart, which makes sense.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys...(and ladies)...a LOT of great replies here, focusing on the bane of our hobby...housekeeping, or lack thereof. Let's not forget one of the most basic of steps when retrieving targets...the step BEFORE retrieving the target...especially in parks, public places and manicured lawns. In these locations, I spend a couple of extra seconds on the pin-pointing process. This helps cut down on digging another plug BESIDE the plug, and the "rabbit-holing" we employ to find a wayward target...Also, I leave the field shovel in the car when I'm not in a field...they're awesome tools but a little...intimidating...lol. Great stuff, I picked up a couple great tips myself..Happy hunting..Ddf

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the sampson mini 18" works very well to cut a nice plug. It's small enough to not be conspicuous and the T handle works well for leverage and can be used while still on your knees to dig deeper/remove more dirt. As other have said, small circular plug with a "hinge" and remove extra dirt onto a towel to be easily placed back in the hole with no mess. Then pack down the placed back dirt and fold your hinge back into place. With the ground I'm in it helps to smack the plug back in place with hands from the middle outward to form nice "seams", then get up and stomp on it. And cut plugs deep enough to keep roots in tact.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys...(and ladies)...a LOT of great replies here, focusing on the bane of our hobby...housekeeping, or lack thereof. Let's not forget one of the most basic of steps when retrieving targets...the step BEFORE retrieving the target...especially in parks, public places and manicured lawns. In these locations, I spend a couple of extra seconds on the pin-pointing process. This helps cut down on digging another plug BESIDE the plug, and the "rabbit-holing" we employ to find a wayward target...Also, I leave the field shovel in the car when I'm not in a field...they're awesome tools but a little...intimidating...lol. Great stuff, I picked up a couple great tips myself..Happy hunting..Ddf

I agree with you about the pinpointing process. Rush that and you could be off 4"-10" or more. That makes for a pretty big hole. Also, I do want to get one of those agressive mini T-handle diggers but yes, if folks see them, they think you will be digging fox holes like in WWII! Show up somewhere to ask for permission to dig with one of those straped to your belt and...well...good luck to you.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread