ACE 250

Corey0863

Apr 2, 2007
Mtn. Home Idaho
So I finally bought a metal detector, the ACE 250 I have found some clad with it but I have a few questions about using it that werent really covered in the video or manual. The first one, is sometimes I will pick up say a dime signal sweeping left to right, then sweeping right to left it'll hit on pull tab or iron and bounce back and forth..What would cause that, and should I dig it?? Also I hittting various signals sweepeing one way, and it'll beep on them once maybe twice and then nothing else....Am I doing something wrong or what???I just need help trying to figure it out, as I am kinda on my own here, except for this forum...Thanks Everyone

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet Corey....I think you will love the Ace 250. From you question, it seems that you are picking up trash along with you coin signal...When you get the distinctive tone of the coin..shorten your sweep..kinda just wiggle it close to that target..then move just a little off to the left or right and hit the pinpoint and move it back over the target area..you should then get a full signal on that coin. Another thing to watch for is if a coin is close to the surface or on the surface..you will get the multiple bing bing bing, almost constantly..that will tell you it is very close to the surface and it is a good target. I haven't had mine that long but I have put in a lot of hours with it and wouldn't get rid of it. HH and if you have more questions, there is a lot of Ace users on here that will be able to help...I'm sure out of all on here, if you have a problem one of them or us has had the same. HH and lets see the finds.
SC

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
generally you want a good signal both ways, sounds like it was probably rusted iron, witch fools many machines, but a coin on edge can do the same thing, dig these targets until you get to know you machine, Good luck Thompy

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Tell us all your settings in which you hunt? I suggest to first start hunting in the coin mode. Then dig all repeatable signals. Set you sens at 4 or 5 bars starting out.

OP
OP
Corey0863

Corey0863

Apr 2, 2007
Mtn. Home Idaho
I've been hunting in coin and all metal mode just trying to learn the machine. I usually have been running about 5 bars on sens, and discriminating only iron. Last night I hit a old cabin area, and was hitting alot of signals, but they would hit nickel or dime and then it would go and hit on foil or iron, but I know it wasn't a coin because I'd dig it and get a shot gun shell or other trash, and then no more good coin sound ??? I just need to go hit some areas I know will hold coins...I just want to learn more so I can hunt these old areas and learn the signal....Also, Do rusty aluminum cans always hit as nickels/pulltabs???
I don't want to sound ignorant, but I want to learn my machine as good as possible!!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Corey,
Your right. Hunt the easier places first before you try the iron and trash infested old home sites. Large trash ie. aluminum cans will pinpoint larger than a coin sized target. If you suspect a can then raise your coil up about 10 inches in the air and swing. If you still beep then it's probably a can.

OP
OP
Corey0863

Corey0863

Apr 2, 2007
Mtn. Home Idaho
Still having trouble making any finds ??? I've been going everyday after work, and not finding anything except cans, foil and iron? I have hit some early homesites (1930's maybe earlier) I expected to get atleast some clad, but nothing... I dig almost everything unless its really large when I pinpoint it hence can or iron.... Am i missing something here???

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corey....I found it much easier to learn the Ace by going to a place where I know there has been plenty of activity...I mean a place where clad abounds and can get a feel for the sound and the id such as tot lots or school yards. Trying old home sites right off the bat might be just a little too "boring" so to speak..nails, tinfoil and lots of iron. The old home sites does hold old coins, but I would just wait a little before going that way..but that is just my opinion. Sounds like you are doing everything right and don't think it is your machine...just think there is not a lot of targets where you are going. HH and GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread