I'm gonna be looking for a lost IDiming earring stud today?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put my smallest coil I have (8") on my E-TRAC and it won't pick up one of my wife's 14 kt studs. I tried my Garrett pinpointer (Pro-Pointer AT) and the tip of the pinpointer won't pick up the stud but the side of the pinpointer does pick it up when it's almost touching the stud. Hope this helps. Don't know if a 5" coil would pick it up.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put my smallest coil I have (8") on my E-TRAC and it won't pick up one of my wife's 14 kt studs. I tried my Garrett pinpointer (Pro-Pointer AT) and the tip of the pinpointer won't pick up the stud but the side of the pinpointer does pick it up when it's almost touching the stud. Hope this helps. Don't know if a 5" coil would pick it up.

I have never tried to find one but have seen other posts on Tnet saying basically the same thing. They are super hard to detect.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
With the right tool it's not that they're hard to detect...it's that people don't know how.

Low gain with high sensitivity - thats a fundamental worth repeating - Low gain with high sensitivity.

Go blasting around with your detector running way too hot - one will be lucky to hear anything but the largest studs.

Small coil can do better than larger coils, but I can and have hit studs with a 15x12 sef running ... again, very low gain and high sensitivity. (3rd time I've mentioned that- probably important)

Get your ground balance dead on too. That's more important than coil size.

Listen for very tiny short signals and verify it's not deep with your pinpointer. Tiny folded foil or gold stud...you'll greatly decrease the time to find it.

VDI? Ask for the matching earring and scan it. Otherwise, below nickel and into iron possibly.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A $1 gold coin, which is a tiny little gold bit, registers 28 on my F-75 TID - right around a 5¢ nickel range.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Several model Tesoros will detect them, plus Fisher Gold Bug 2. Not sure about any other brands.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never tried to find one but have seen other posts on Tnet saying basically the same thing. They are super hard to detect.

Yes I learned that today. May someone get lucky and find it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found a stud earring with the ATP. If it's on the surface, tight rapid swings might pop it off. If it's not a huge area, try doing 1 ft rapid swings in a grid. You might get lucky.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a gold machine.......that's what they're designed for. Most all around machines won't detect a small stud earring regardless of coil size. It's the higher operating frequencies of the gold machines that make it easier to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread