Nice find!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm back in the game! I am excitedly anticipating an upcoming procedure that should remove the pain in my lower back, renewing my detecting and nuggetshooting endeavors for awhile. Now, back to the reason for posting. I found a couple of things while detecting a meadow on Judy's property. A 1982 penny and a spent cartridge case. The case is very interesting in that is an old French cartridge. Never found one of these before. Pretty rare. 8mm Lebel. Neat! According to Wikipedia, it was used during WW1. They also inferred that they would have become obsolete virtually overnight with the introduction of the 7.5 French round in 1929. The country of Greece probably used them (surplus?) until 1941. Used mainly as a machine gun round, rifles chambered for the 8mm Lebel came later. TTC

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOPS! There was a French 1886 rifle chambered in 8mm Lebel. Sorry. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread