Church Hunt - Is it worth the effort?

N

Newbie1967

I know this isn't a "find" - but it relates to the effort to generate some new finds! I've been trying to get permission to hunt at a church in my neighborhood. Historically it dates back to the 1700's. The old church that was once there was razed long ago.

I have finally received a response to my e-mail from the pastor.

To quote:

It would be nice to meet with you and discuss your project. However, there are two areas of concern: (1) as a regisstered national archeological site, the County Historical Society is part of any decision; and (2) the Parish is governed by committee (called the Vestry). I must be sensitive to the desires and/or directives of each.

I am willing to talk, but must tell you in advance that there are two entities looking over mya shoulder, so to speak.

My question is this: Is this worth pursuing? There are other places I can go. Do I even want to bother when this site is a registered archaeological site? From what I seem to recall, these places are typically off limits.

If anyone can give me their suggestions or advice, I'd appreciate it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

B

Bill W.

I'd persue it till I got a yes or no. Most of the fun for me comes from digging the coin, etc. If you do it right you might end up with other land owners that are members of the church interested in whats on their land. We all know how people like to talk and you detecting the church will surely peek someones interest. If you have an extra detector I'd offer to let the pastor use it. Good luck.

-Bill

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter if the pastor gives you permission.That is a registered historic site!!All it takes is one PO'd parishoner to know that simple,and widely known fact,and you+detector+vehicle that brought you is gone bud and the fines are simply amazing!!We had some folks here in french gulch with permission detect a burned down church and got nailed to the proverbial cross!!!John

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it doesnt matter if its a historic site or not,if it isnt enforced as in most cases then as long as you have permission then you are ok,even sites that are historic are neglected as in this case here in florida.post your thoughts after you see the web site.

http://65.33.85.140:81/3rdaveshipwreck/wreck.html

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

Hoser John said:
It doesn't matter if the pastor gives you permission.That is a registered historic site!!All it takes is one PO'd parishoner to know that simple,and widely known fact,and you+detector+vehicle that brought you is gone bud and the fines are simply amazing!!We had some folks here in french gulch with permission detect a burned down church and got nailed to the proverbial cross!!!John

Is there a difference between a registered Archaeological site and Historical site?

Are you saying that even if I'm granted permission by the Reverend, the board, and the County, that I'm still facing a risk? From whom? The feds? I'm not trying to be a wise guy - I'm just trying to understand.

Oh - and the church is within walking distance... so I have that going for me... at least I wouldn't lose my car... :)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
We have many places on the national register of historic places around here, heck, it's the first level of designation to landmark status.? But that does not preclude detecting there.? Many public parks have this status and some of you may well have detected such places without ever knowing it.? A site protected under archeological status is different and will lead to getting you nailed quickly.

Not that I agree with it, but them's the rules.? As an example, maybe 10 years ago I was working this torn up street out west of here in Galena, it was in front of U.S. Grant's home.? Now walking into that yard and detecting would be asking for it, but one of the uniformed folk there walked out and was curious if I was finding anything, told him it was pretty empty along the street bed there, he invited me to swing around the yard to see if I could find anything of interest and I jumped in real fast.? Only had about a half hour left to play so I went straight to digging anything deep and large I could detect as opposed to coinshooting, I was relic hunting for whatnots.? Got some RIO's and let them have 'em.? In fact, Galena is one of those places where nearly the whole town is a "protected" historic site.? But that weekend, with all the streets downtown torn up for rework, sidewalks demolished and the old beds presented, I thought I would be in detecting heaven!? Lots of conversation with the folks around there and the local LEO's also, but none had trouble what so ever with me swinging coil through it.

Now I would seriously doubt that a phone call, e-mail or letter would get an okay to hunt anywhere around there and would suggest not trying it unless the circumstances were as informal, casual and friendly as I experienced.? But swinging coil down streets past house after house and store front after store front where the owners are not allowed to paint or decorate without commission approval to maintain a certain atmosphere, no planting flowers or landscaping w/o approval either, I was in hog heaven!? Too bad the finds didn't agree with my dream-come-true!

But the point is those were recognized historic places, most every bit on the national register as far as I could tell, but no one there gave a hoot and I was even invited to hunt a former President's yard, though too late in the day.

In town here at home we have many such places given that landmark status but it does not preclude detecting them, especially those under private ownership.? We don't have any archeological sites here, those would be understood to be off limits.? I'd also be wary of any that are state or federal property, there's a vagueness in interpretation of status that will always tend to favor prosecution, that "p" word!

But hey, find out the particular status of the site you're interested in and know the difference!? On another thread there is a post about digging some Indian Burial grounds, that's not gonna be one on my schedule! Stay legal, stay safe!

M

minelabex1000

I think Lowbatts did an excellent job on his message!

When comes right down to it, many, if not most sites are in one way or another illegal to hunt.

Someone may give you permission who has no real right to grant permisson (as in Lowbatts message and many other such situations).

State owned lands are technically off limits to digging and the removal of anything. However, rarely are these rules strictly enforced or even considered.

Actually, anytime one digs holes, or in anyway alters a piece of property belonging to someone else, one is subject to legal action. Someone could say "sure, go ahead and hunt." Then when you dig, they could have you arrested. Why? easy, they said you could hunt, they never said anything about digging (destruction of property).

The point I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to make is this, it's awfully hard to be totally legal and do metal detecting. It's not difficult to be "sort of legal." But to be absolutely completely legal is another matter.

If you must always be 100% legal in every way, well, good luck!

What Lowbatts was talking about was using common sense.

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

Thanks to all for taking the time to offer your advice and thoughts. What I plan to do is pursue the opportunity - if, by some chance, the Historical Society decides to allow me to proceed, I will just have to make sure that I have received permission at the highest level necessary. The chance to hunt those grounds is too good to pass up.

R

rvbvetter

Sounds like the place could hold some nice coins. Tell them if you find the lost ark of the covenant, you'll turn it over to them. Good luck HH

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these odds are really long, as old as this place is its probably been cleaned out before it was historic,
and those other two people they mentioned will never allow it..

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Good luck Newbie and if you can get permission, set up camp and work it long and slow and have fun! You can go in with positive mental attitude and be happy that you got the chance to detect even if you do not find enough to satisfy other MD'ers "dream site" requirements or take a negative attitude, expect to find little or nothing and be pleasantly surprised with every good target, small or large!

When I put on my "reality hat" and go detecting, every find is great and unexpected. When I put on my "dream cap" and go into a site, well at least I got to go hunting!

D

Darod

It's a no brainer actually. You should work any opportunity to the very end. Have you heard the term,"flogging a dead horse" ? :) I'd flog the hell out of this one!

Rod

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

We're in the process of setting up an appointment. I'm still hopeful, and I intend to take this all the way to a "yes" or "no" answer. And one thing JerDFX said in another thread made me think - even if the church property itself is off limits, what about the woods surrounding it? It's possible the church property was once larger than it is now.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, YES, Yes. Treat any answers that are not flat out NO! as a yes. The fact that he has not answered indicates that at least he is still open to suggestions. A site like this is rare and there is no way I would let it get away unchecked.

Keep Digging,

Ed

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about if you stress that any finds that hold historical significants to the church you will gladly let them have it. Coins and jewlery isn't historical to the church.

I know this is a really old post but what the heck. You could still donate anything found to the church. It would get you into a good place as well as getting on a good side with THE BIG MAN.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since 2005, there have been some changes in my state (Georgia) that may have changed my answer, if I had been here then to answer. It's become my policy to avoid anything of potential archaeological significance on public land. On public land (regardless of who controls it), there's always going to be something to jam up your works, even if the find is really insignificant in itself (e.g. the presence of a single minie ball allows the state to claim that the site is historic and should be protected). The state will always side with the state archaeologist, except on private property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread