Church Hunt - Is it worth the effort?

N

Newbie1967

I know this isn't a "find" - but it relates to the effort to generate some new finds! I've been trying to get permission to hunt at a church in my neighborhood. Historically it dates back to the 1700's. The old church that was once there was razed long ago.

I have finally received a response to my e-mail from the pastor.

To quote:

It would be nice to meet with you and discuss your project. However, there are two areas of concern: (1) as a regisstered national archeological site, the County Historical Society is part of any decision; and (2) the Parish is governed by committee (called the Vestry). I must be sensitive to the desires and/or directives of each.

I am willing to talk, but must tell you in advance that there are two entities looking over mya shoulder, so to speak.

My question is this: Is this worth pursuing? There are other places I can go. Do I even want to bother when this site is a registered archaeological site? From what I seem to recall, these places are typically off limits.

If anyone can give me their suggestions or advice, I'd appreciate it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

That's the thing. I'm wondering if I spend my free time dealing with these folks and trying to convince them (I too think they'll say "no") when I could be digging in a site that doesn't require approval?

And, if by some miracle, they do allow me to do it, I get the impression that there will be some confusion as to what constitutes a "historical find."

O

Oddfello

I'd do it. What the heck, it seems like it could be a great opportunity and I wouldn't let it go by just because I might feel a bit put off by the effort involved in getting permission :D Best case they say yes, worst case they say no but at least you have shown yourself to be interested enough and dedicated enough to your hobby to persue the chance. Not to mention considerate enough to speak with them instead of pulling up and start digging. Maybe they will come down somewhere between in which case for me it's a win. If the site dates that old I think I would be happy just seeing what the land holds, even if it doesn't mean I get to keep it. I would get a decent camera though if permitted. :)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as you went that far to get permission. I would go ahead and meet with the pastor. let him/her get to know who you are. I wouldn't go dressed in you digging garb, however. Once he/she gets to know who you are your chances of getting permission are probably better. Tell him/her that you are only interested in the coins that you might find, but offer to show him /her everything that you find. Including the trash. Some of my best finds have been in old churchyards. Good luck, and keep us posted. We'll be looking for some nice finds from you.

M

mrmark55

If nothing else make contact with him and even if the answer is no, be an Ambassador of good will for the hobby. Take several copies of our code of ethics with you and give them to him. If nothing else comes out of it you will probably make a good friend and make a good impression on him concerning the demeanor of the people of our hobby. Good Luck!
Mr Mark
:)

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

Okay, you've convinced me. I'll reply back to him and set up a time to go visit. Who knows, they may even say yes :)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I don't understand the designation as a "registered national archeological site" because if there is no plan to or no dig, excavation or archeological activity there, then we need to redefine our language. I understand the National Register of Historic Places but inclusion on this list itself does not preclude any detecting at such a site unless so specified by whoever owns the property.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

M

minelabex1000

It sounds to me like the pastor would like you to give up on the idea. Now, not that he (she?) is such a bad person, but, they have to consider a lot of politics if you get my drift.

The historical site argument may have some credence but I rather doubt it. They're more interested in the building, not the dirt under it.

You could see if you can do them a favor. Maybe do a little painting? Rake the yard, fix something? Just make sure you get to hunt in the deal.

I'd also see if anyone else has hunted it.

Good luck

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd say go on and forge ahead. If they say no, maybe you'll get permission elsewhere. The very worst is they'll say no and all you lost was a little energy/time for your effort

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
I say go ahead and try... you already know thta the worst possible answer is going to be "NO". But you DON'T know what their answer is going to be. Give it a shot and let us know! Good luck!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another option is if they say no, find out what the boundries are, and search outside of the boundries. In over 200 years, something has to have been lost in that area.

M

minelabex1000

wayne1956 said:
Another option is if they say no, find out what the boundries are, and search outside of the boundries.? In over 200 years, something has to have been lost in that area.

Excellent idea! Chances are the original plot was much bigger.

Chuck in WA

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2005
How about if you stress that any finds that hold historical significants to the church you will gladly let them have it. Coins and jewlery isn't historical to the church.

Capt Bob

Mar 17, 2005
I have done an old church closed for the last 100 years - just a couple of great finds - a brass wrapper for the spine of a bible and a ladies compact by the side walk down about 12 inches - inside was a 1934 nickle - mint cond. - what a find - look around the area where they tied up the horse and buggies - I found some old nails and some other junk - this took place in Ontario, Canada -- Capt Bob

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres a church near me that was built in the 1800's i asked the preacher if i could search the property,he said yes only if i found a electrical wire they buried for thier sign lights,i said i would do it,but havent had the time to go over there yet.so maybe you could ask your church if they lost something that needs to be found.like that old emerald,diamond studded cross the preacher lost after he drank too much wine one night an never told anyone he lost it.

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

Chuck in WA said:
How about if you stress that any finds that hold historical significants to the church you will gladly let them have it.? Coins and jewlery isn't historical to the church.

Absolutely. I did that in my original e-mail to him, emphasizing that I'd treat the church grounds with respect and of course I'd pass on anything of historical value to the church. And I agree, coins are not historical, in a religious sense. I'd gladly take them off their hands! :)

S

strud

I hunted an old church & found some of the best finds that I have now. My find was a soft copper band that I had dated back to 1696. It had Initials on the inside & the appraiser
offered me a niice little wade of money for it Also with the ring I found a NJ colonial coin
that I traded for a garrett metal!!!!!! :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread