Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
Upvote 0

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
The tot lot I (mainly) hunt is 8+ in. of chips, I found a crowbar just below that depth! I have no idea as to your 'depth' question, I only know that I like the tot lots!
kevin

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have found that some areas covered by woodchips have a bottom layer of cloth, and they have driven nails or staples into the ground to hold the cloth down prior to piling the chips on. I usually find the indicated depth according to the detector to be fairly close to the target, whether it be coin, jewelry, or a nail/staple. If it's within an inch or so, I usually check the immediate area with my Bullesye pinpointer...saves digging time for me.

---Mel

borninok

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
If I understand your question correctly how deep is a signal if found under the loos woodchips? Do you count the loose ones as well as the packed?? Is that the question? All of the wood chip areas I have hunted have the cloth/plastic at the bottom and then the ground. If my machine says a target is at 7 inches and there is 3 inches of chips then the target is another 3-4 inches past the layer. I cut a small hole in the barrier and dig out my target. I have found a LOT of targets this way. The only thing I can quess is a lot of people get to the barrier and then give up.

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
thats what I meant only in my case the loose woodchips are roughly 6-7inchs in depth and then a layer of decomposed woodchips dont know the depth but ive dug into it at least 5inchs ive been thinking of taking a rake and moving the top layer about a 5feet square at a time I figure there is a lot more stuff lying in the lower layers than i can currently detect. Or should I get a better Md Ive found pound coins though 6 inchs of loose woodchips then 3inchs or packed decomposed woodchips this resembles course earth this decomposed material seems to be very dense and hence harder to detect in.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
strike it rich said:
thats what I meant only in my case the loose woodchips are roughly 6-7inchs in depth and then a layer of decomposed woodchips dont know the depth but ive dug into it at least 5inchs ive been thinking of taking a rake and moving the top layer about a 5feet square at a time I figure there is a lot more stuff lying in the lower layers than i can currently detect. Or should I get a better Md Ive found pound coins though 6 inchs of loose woodchips then 3inchs or packed decomposed woodchips this resembles course earth this decomposed material seems to be very dense and hence harder to detect in.

I have just started the rake technique. Make sure you check for coins before disturbing the top layer of chips. And make sure you put it all back the way it was or you might find yourself banned from wherever you are hunting. I keep the trash I find and show to the groundskeeper if they check on what I am doing and have not had any trouble yet.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Depth is depth, regardless of the media you're detecting over. I usually use my cheaper machines at lower sensitivity in tot lots, and therefore seldom get deeper coins (beneath the chips). Part of the reason - there's often a layer of fabric beneath the chips, with grommets or other metal items sewn in. I want to avoid digging that up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread