Silver_Coin_Newb

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400

Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so I've only owned my detector a week, and had a chance to sweep around the house once.

I really want to spend the afternoon tomorrow detecting, but have no idea where to go or start.

Trying to stay legal and all. I know I've looked at our small town park codes and they say metal detecting in our park is prohibited.

Do you guys just drive around till you find an area that looks safe or should I be making contacts with people first.

Totally new to this! [emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until a member(s) replies - I would start by jumping over to Sub-Forums: Missouri and browsing clubs - you might find one real close to ya.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The internet is a great tool in finding spots, locating owners for permissions, reading rules and ordinances of parks dept.s and towns. Please do not drive by what you believe to be an abandoned property and simply decide it's a place to detect without permission.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with your property, your family's, and your friends until you get a little more comfortable using your detector and you hone your digging and plug (U or three sided, right?) skills. Verify your local rules and check out the ones in nearby towns. Get an old map of your area for researching historical areas. Try to gain permission from homeowners of old properties.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you belong to a church? Socials & picnics, penny hunts, lost jewelry, etc.

Playgrounds, boat ramps, vacant schools, town halls, picnic/public access sites near lakes & rivers, anywhere there is grass or dirt.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I've been doing this since '70. I could spend an hour telling you where to look but you will surely get people here to help. In a phrase, where ever people gather! Also, ask for permission. If, on average, only one in ten says yes... ask ten places. If you ask in 100 places, you now have 10 places! You'll figure out where to go as you pick up experience. TTC

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Does the code for your town say no metal detectors are allowed in the park? Or does it say no *digging*? Or no *disturbing* the soil? No *removing* the soil? If metal detectors are not mentioned specifically, it could just be the ancient law against property damage that has always applied everywhere.

Just note the exact wording for each town under park & rec rules & check the city codes online. Best not to call the desk bound bureaucrats that will just give you a no based on the ancient property damage laws. Besides city parks, there are county parks & state parks, but city parks are least likely to truly prohibit detecting.

In some cities with more than 1 park, 1 could be off limits as a historical or archaeological site. Also, a few large cities could have a privately owned park, like Tower Grove Park in St. Louis. Then there are places listed on the National Register of Historic Places, which tends to emphasize buildings. But sometimes entire neighborhoods are off limits (rare). National Parks all off limits & National Forests are risky, too.

Public schoolyards are generally open to non-damaging detecting. Religious & other private schools are places they can prohibit even neat detecting if you don't have permission. It's hard to get permission to detect private or state universities. State fairgrounds are generally off limits, too.

Missouri had about 3,400 populated places in 1890. Some of these are now ghost towns (permission needed), some are still tiny. Some had steady growth & some are mostly new, like many suburbs. County fairgrounds if not posted are probably detectable & size can be anything from under 15 acres to over 300 acres.

Wikipedia has histories of nearly all towns population 10 & up, plus true ghosts. hometownlocator.com is a good site to tell if a site is totally abandoned and if anything still shows. It lists things like schools, churches & post offices that are no longer there, & cemeteries that may have been part of a town no longer there. Their town populations are all for the last July 1st.

County websites will often have park/school/history info for each town, & have tax assessors info including acreage & year each house was built. historicmapworks.com & other info on maphistory.info can be very helpful. Best wishes, all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silver_Coin_Newb

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400

Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the code for your town say no metal detectors are allowed in the park? Or does it say no *digging*? Or no *disturbing* the soil? No *removing* the soil? If metal detectors are not mentioned specifically, it could just be the ancient law against property damage that has always applied everywhere.

Just note the exact wording for each town under park & rec rules & check the city codes online. Best not to call the desk bound bureaucrats that will just give you a no based on the ancient property damage laws. Besides city parks, there are county parks & state parks, but city parks are least likely to truly prohibit detecting.

First of all, thank you for all your info, it's greatly appreciated!

Our code actually said "metal detecting prohibited" but I believe the next town over is ok to hunt. They have a bill on law that says anything over 100 years old has to be turned into the city tho.

They have around 4-5 city parks that can be detected. They made this law due to a husband and wife were detecting one of the parks and found a mini ball/bullet lodged into an actual human bone. Some major civil war battle went on in this area.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep practicing in your yard for a while. Theres always something your coil didn't pass over, and you need to be really good at making clean plugs before you go out on public land or private property with permission. There's nothing more damaging to this sport than a yard filled with dead plugs or divots. Happy hunting and good luck!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locate a farmer who will let you get out in his fields, nothing you can damage in these fields and they are a great place to refine your techniques and to search for all sorts of finds, everything from coins to civil war relics, etc. You might even spot a few arrowheads while you're out there.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, thank you for all your info, it's greatly appreciated!

Our code actually said "metal detecting prohibited" but I believe the next town over is ok to hunt. They have a bill on law that says anything over 100 years old has to be turned into the city tho.

They have around 4-5 city parks that can be detected. They made this law due to a husband and wife were detecting one of the parks and found a mini ball/bullet lodged into an actual human bone. Some major civil war battle went on in this area.

But yet the city cared so much about their history they built a park on top of it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions