My first detector - HELP PLEASE

Romantreasures

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, good day to all treasure hunters.
I am completely new to this forum, and basically completely new to all the metal detecting and treasure hunting stuff.

So, I want to buy my first metal detector.
I would like to ask you, what is essential for my detector (what parameters, attachments, etc.) for this purpose:

I would like to use this detector to find small metalic object, like coins, rings, etc.
In my country, there are some places where roman settlements have been in the past, and I want to search there, since in my country nobody is really interested in digging the whole excavation site. For example, in neighbor village, next to the church, about 2 years ago someone found some old roman age things there, and I want to go search there.

Can you please tell me, what do I exactly need in my metal detector? I would like to detect both precious and non precious metals (or whatever is it called in English). For example what depth does the detector have to work? How deep could these roman era things be in the soil?

I would prefer if you suggested me parameters rather than specific detectors, since I live in eastern Europe and many of your detectors will not be for sale here I think. The price is also a limit, but I will search for the best parameters for the lowest price after your suggestions.

thank you very very much!

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you mean by "pretty complex" ?

How deep does it detect?

The tooty-fluty sounds mention by Tom_N_CA can drive you crazy at first - until you start hitting good targets and you kind of come together with that. Also, with the menu system, you can customize that machine, and you won't understand what it's talking about being a total newbie.

As for depth, it's one of the deepest single coil detectors out there today.

Edit: If you can afford it, and really try learning it, it's one of the best, legendary!

Last edited:

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just search minelab explorer on google

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... How deep does it detect? ....

Depends on how you have it set up, what the ground conditions are, how much surrounding iron is present, and how forgiving you care to be on the choice of what to chase. You can chase vveerryy deep whispers (to get the maximum depth), but then may find yourself getting fooled by unwanted targets. Or you can be a little more picky, and just chase the "certain" ones, yet loose an inch of depth.

Thus there's many variables to your question. But for a general answer, assuming normal coil size, normal settings, and holding out a bit of picky-ness:

a) USA copper penny: 8 to 9"

b) USA quarter: 10"

Naturally each of those can approach a foot and still find them, if you're doing some zone nice and clean (the beach for instance), and can afford to chase whispers and flutters. I once got a dime at 13". At that depth I could not have told you high versus low conductor, or iron vs non-iron. But I knew something was there :) For junky land sites, a bit more selectiveness comes into play.

Also, there are certainly machines that go deeper than this WHILE retaining great TID: Like the CTX with 17". Or Sov/Wot combo. You would add multiple inches to the above. But there will draw-backs for the added depths: Fishy/warbly performance, more masking, difficult pinpointing, etc....

oyat

May 8, 2016
kuala batoeh
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
xterra 705, nox 800 , nox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
little advice from newbie

do you need deep 7inc for coin , i have seen video some people also hit roman coin under 4inc
seem limited budget make sure if you bought on ebay need looking your law how much cost for tax

my recomendation for machine choice BH LRP willbe great , or you can afford minelap xtera 705

do you wanna digging 1-3 meter ??? really haha i dont think so

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you buy any detector, spend a little more time on this web site and learn what others are using. Your decision should be based on what experienced users say, not on the ads. Higher prices do not always mean better detectors. Wait a little while longer. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread