The Excalibur Is A Great Land Machine As Well

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I'll try those tips!

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used my Excal on land, but with the same settings as I use in the water.

I've never set my volume as high as you do, only about mid way. And I hunt with my discrimination set at 1. I'm also in the habit of a threshold I can hear.

I'll try your setting on my next adventure with it.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good stuff. The excal can work as a land machine but its not the best tool for the job. Its much heavier than land based machine and if you are searching for small gold you are SOL.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize my suggested machine settings are controversial. The manufacture even suggest that the threshold be set to where it is just audible. But there is a problem for many users with this as the threshold can actually mask many of those fainter/deeper returns, especially true in trashy areas. By eliminating the threshold all together all of those repeatable deeper/fainter returns will become crystal clear to the user especially when the target volume is turned all the way up. In other words there will be far less confusion and clutter to the ear. Keep in mind that our machines are actually hunting much deeper then most realize, the problem being that really deep targets, or really small targets, fail to create returns that we can hear. By setting the machine up as I suggest we then have our absolute best chance of hearing those deeper/fainter returns. The down side, those really shallow targets will almost take your head off because they will be so loud. lol

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. The excal can work as a land machine but its not the best tool for the job. Its much heavier than land based machine and if you are searching for small gold you are SOL.

Your Excal is actually a Sov in a waterproof shell, the sov being a time tested and highly praised machine that's extremely sensitive to small gold, as is your Excal. I can't tell you the number of very tiny/fine gold chains and charms I've found over the years, even little earring studs and back clips. Small coil, high sensitivity, high return volume, and a really good set of headphones. I would put the Excal up against many of the top land based machines today, even with target separation, and if you arrange your machine in a balanced setting, such as a long shaft, weight problem is no longer a factor.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things about the Excal settings in this video and why they work. First, think of the footprint of a really deep or very small item, it is very small and the returns are very weak. When we run the threshold "a lot" of these very faint returns can be mistaken for very quick and insignificant threshold breaks and in turn they can be too easily dismissed. When we turn our machine to silent mode with our return volume cranked all the way up then these very faint and very quick returns become more recognizable because there is no chance that they can be masked by the threshold. I hope this makes sense as it actually works. This is how I have been able to recover a lot of those tiny gold chains, earring backs and studs, etc., the actual returns being very quick and very faint but recognizable and repeatable. I think once you've tried it for a while you'll see what I'm talking about and you'll start recognizing and recovering more smaller and deeper targets.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I said that years ago and then again just a short time ago. That the Excalibur is a good land and water detector. I know some that only use one detector a Excalibur for land & water and they do as well or better than most that have detectors coming out there ears .. I also so said that all you need is one detector and a backup why you have to have 4,5,6 detectors i do not know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions