VDI # for gold coin?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
$1 coins would be in foil, as the coins get bigger they go up the scale all the way up to the silver dollar range on the big $20 coins...probably.
Masking trash and iron can also affect all readings so even though air testing you can get specific VDI numbers on coins depending on depth, soil types and trash or iron they could be almost anywhere.

It's like asking where gold rings come in....same answer, almost everywhere.

Below is the VDI info that was written on an older White's unit you can use as kind of a guide.
Your numbers will be different but you might notice the other targets in the vicinity to each coin type.

Attachments

• scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx for the input . The only gold I have found was a 14k ring and it was hitting just like a pull tab

Indiana Bones

Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wondering that myself....i have an at pro also and would just like to know the very same thing....
I'm not wealthy enough to actually own any of the gold coin denominations,however,
I have thought about taking my atp down to a friend of mine who is always buying and selling gold and silver and checking in on him
When he might have just bought a gold coin from someone an let me air test it right there
On the spot....then i would know for sure.
Just a thought........i have been hunting for ANY size or denom. Gold coin for a very,very long time but no luck so far.
What bugs me a little though...is if i had my loop over one during the 1980's
When I used too much discrimination!!!! And passed it up!
Probably shouldn't think about it...
I know with the huge amount of pull tabs and stay tabs I've been digging up, my chances a little better now (digging them on purpose!!)
HH

OP
OP
C

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I to have passed over a few foil and pull tabs hits . It can get a little crazy in some areas but if you don't dig it all you will never know... Pro zero mod ftw

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been wondering that myself....i have an at pro also and would just like to know the very same thing....
I'm not wealthy enough to actually own any of the gold coin denominations,however,
I have thought about taking my atp down to a friend of mine who is always buying and selling gold and silver and checking in on him
When he might have just bought a gold coin from someone an let me air test it right there
On the spot....then i would know for sure.
Just a thought........i have been hunting for ANY size or denom. Gold coin for a very,very long time but no luck so far.
What bugs me a little though...is if i had my loop over one during the 1980's
When I used too much discrimination!!!! And passed it up!
Probably shouldn't think about it...
I know with the huge amount of pull tabs and stay tabs I've been digging up, my chances a little better now (digging them on purpose!!)
HH

Try not to think about the GOLD you might've passed your head will explode [emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my friends ATPro, our gold wedding rings ring up at 45-47. He found a small ladies 14k ring, and it hit at 40-41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PortCreditGuy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300i, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 1 ounce 9999 Gold Maple Leaf reads as 92-93 on my brand spanking new ACE 300i in air. (I'm sure as heck not going to bury it to see what I get in soil LOL)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread