Fake find? What would you do?

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you recieved this pic would you just accept it? Or would you examine it from a forensic and technical view point?
Personally I find so much wrong here with the pic.
The coin is Shiny! Under the ground for 180 years? Normally they are various shades of green. There is no sign of digging tools. It appears to have had water poured on it? The fine roots dont make sense.
Am I bieng unfair?
Opinions welcome. Fake or not?
After recieving this I doubt all of this persons "finds".
But I have an open mind and am happy to be proven wrong.

Attachments

• IMG-20161001-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20161001-WA0000.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 428
Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the silver I pull out of the ground looks as good as the day it was dropped!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first off here on Tnet it is agin the rules to question a find
that being said I only take pics when I get home and if no one believes it I don't care, I know what I did

I think anyone who posts fake finds is just sad

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to fake all my Iron because I cant afford silver to throw down! LOL

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks legit to me. How the hell can one say it's not? Is there only one way to dig a hole, flip a plug, loosen some dirt, use a pinpointer to find a target, or scrape around in a hole until it pops out? We are now scrutinizing soil conditions, size of hole, moisture content, ROOTS?!?! Gimme a break.

cyndi59

Greenie
Mar 29, 2017
Falls Church,Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum E-series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've pulled silver just like the day it was dropped..cannot say the same for copper,some comes up very dark and then times a reddish dull brownish red.Only thing with the zinc lincolns they come out like they been thru the shredder.IMO,some might agree..it's due the Ph in the soil,the photo is abit itchy so I cannot commit my two cents.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like enamel7 said, the silver I get looks like it made yesterday, or worn down and then made the day after. Some copper have been brown, others green, I have cleaned a few too much and they look almost new. Won't do that again.

That's not a rare coin, it's probably a legit find. Sunlight or a flash on a camera will often give that type of glean to a coin like this. Flash on would explain everything.

And if I had the time or inclination to post everything I'd found, you'd never believe me. But I just don't have the time. And don't need the attention. I just like to dig. Some items get me excited, like the recent school button. So the history helped make the posting. Got another really really good button the week before, but since it's the third one I've owned, and didn't get time to put up anything on it, and found the CW button and so just moved on. Wonder what this weekend will bring?

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually like it that people post their finds, it keeps it interesting for those of us that can't dig at that current moment in time.

Live digs are good when they are using the detector that I use and explain their VDI numbers, and the reason why they decided to dig it or not.

Photos of the digs after they get them home and cleaned up is also nice. It again gives a chance to see what I'm missing, or haven't even seen.

The posting of fake pictures claiming to be real, does bother me some, but as I said earlier........I just like to see them all, but I'd prefer them be honest about it.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forensic Soil Analysis? Sounds like fun...but IMHO it should only be for fun! BTW I hate it when I dig something cool and forget to take a picture during the "discovery" phase. Over Christmas vacation I found a really nice silver Avery ring. When I dug it up it looked like a screw-cap full of dirt (no picture). As I removed the dirt I had trouble identifying it because it was black like it had been spray painted (still no picture). I got it home and cleaned it before I realized what it was (took picture). Now I ask you...does that look like a metal detecting find? Tt

Attachments

• Avery 925 Silver Ring.png
    Avery 925 Silver Ring.png
    389.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me fake or real it doesn't really matter, I just like looking.

I take that same approach with boobs. :tongue3: :laughing7:

will you be posting pics so we can decide for ourselves?

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to imagine how I would feel if I posted a pic of a find, and then, on an Internet forum, someone saying it was a fake find.
All the whole knowing it was legit. Whooa horse.
You can bet I won't be posting a pic. Unless you really do like seeing pics of modern nickels. I still get a real head rush over a clad nickel. New penny too. How sweet it is.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After recieving this I doubt all of this persons "finds".

You should judge by all the finds. People who fake it aren't smart enough to keep getting away with it, but you have to be smart enough to see their errors.... and it's not usually analyzing one picture. I've seen people call finds that were clearly dug as fake, and then others supporting someone who was very clearly a fraud, but they didn't have the knowledge to put it all together and see why. At the end of the day anyone who feels the need to plant cheap and common coins has issues, and not like it should be a big deal to us anyway as it's never GW buttons or MASS silver.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will you be posting pics so we can decide for ourselves?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there is a policy somewhere in place on this forum that prohibits such photos.............sucks! LOL.....

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there is a policy somewhere in place on this forum that prohibits such photos.............sucks! LOL.....

Ho hum.......policy and police are akin. Please tell us all how you would police the policy. IMHO, you would have to have God like characteristics. Not.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug a barber dime, an indian head cent, and a large cent that have SO MUCH detail they would be called "fakes" by jealous guys. Especially the 1832 large cent. It's pitch black, but has really nice detail.

I was detecting with friends when all were found, but I have never posted pics of the finds on the internet. I shared in the joy with real live people.

OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we are real live people.... but I agree. I just dont feel the need to share. my ego is nourished from within. I get even more satisfaction knowing that I found a good virgin site, or even better pulling something good from thrashed ground. Either way sending pics to everyone and posting on facebook etc. just isnt my style.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we are real live people.... but I agree. I just dont feel the need to share. my ego is nourished from within. I get even more satisfaction knowing that I found a good virgin site, or even better pulling something good from thrashed ground. Either way sending pics to everyone and posting on facebook etc. just isnt my style.
"Just isn't my style", good for you, others not so much. Some like to share, others like to see finds posted, and some are inspired to keep going after seeing such cool finds. How dull would this forum be without being able to see what we are all finding.

OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres another one sent by same person. These have NOT been posted here but to me personally. Where is the soil inside the bracelet? If the soil is so damp how come the inside of the bracelet is so cearly exposed?wouldnt there be finger marks around the bracelet to expose it like it is presented? Apologies for bieng so critical and or sceptical. I have never doubted someones finds here on treasure net.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170406-220228.png
    Screenshot_20170406-220228.png
    698.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread