Fake find? What would you do?

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you recieved this pic would you just accept it? Or would you examine it from a forensic and technical view point?
Personally I find so much wrong here with the pic.
The coin is Shiny! Under the ground for 180 years? Normally they are various shades of green. There is no sign of digging tools. It appears to have had water poured on it? The fine roots dont make sense.
Am I bieng unfair?
Opinions welcome. Fake or not?
After recieving this I doubt all of this persons "finds".
But I have an open mind and am happy to be proven wrong.

Attachments

• IMG-20161001-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20161001-WA0000.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 428
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Just isn't my style", good for you, others not so much. Some like to share, others like to see finds posted, and some are inspired to keep going after seeing such cool finds. How dull would this forum be without being able to see what we are all finding.

I agree, it would be dull.I just like seeing genuine finds. Im not really sceptical of anything Ive seen here, its just this one person that I used to detect with.

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see what you have to gain by posting phoney finds but if someone does who cares i post just to show things I find so others can see and I enjoy seeing others are finding as well its not a competition i detect for fun

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Cosmo3

Feb 8, 2017
Chattanooga, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Hori-Hori Knife, Gerber Folding Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Just isn't my style", good for you, others not so much. Some like to share, others like to see finds posted, and some are inspired to keep going after seeing such cool finds. How dull would this forum be without being able to see what we are all finding.

I joined the forum because the hobby is new to me and to learn. The learning curve is tips on places to search, tips on detecting, and it is very cool to see what you can find. Many of the items I just had no idea. As for the people that post fake pictures I believe the number of those compared to people that just love the hobby and love to share is very low. I do believe there is a certain number of posters that want to increase their e creed for like of a better term to maybe thinking they can get machines or equipment to test.

JMO but the ones that post fake posts are. No, I don't believe in knocking others so I will keep that last thought to myself. Have a great day everyone and God Bless.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually if you know someone who always has to Out Do you & always brings
an Unbelievable find out.

Go on Ebay And Buy one of these Fake gold Bars

s-l400.jpg

when he pulls out the Clean Silver Coin,
reach in your Bag & pull this out

s-l400.jpg

Remember to Hold it with 2 Hands while straining on the Weight
and Act like you don't trust him if he reaches out to Hold it :laughing7:

then Tell him after you get all the Bars home,
You will invite him over to see them :coffee2:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I like looking at finds. The people that post them are making a contribution to the site and our hobby. Posting finds is not about ego, its about sharing. I get a kick when a newbee post a picture of a piece of rusted iron he just found and is all excited about it. There have been some amazing finds posted. Makes me glad someone is finding it and keeps me swinging. People who post fake finds have self esteem issues. Sad! Very sad. Did I say it was sad? It’s so sad.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like the reverse of a British cartwheel penny

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These areas Look natural Enough to Say that Dirt looks Pasted Fast.

View attachment 1435774

This does not Happen in an on the Spot situation.
That dirt looks like it's been there for Years.

I Almost always doubt Insitu Pics. But That is because I grab all and Inspect.
I won't say I Won't take a Real Insutu one day.
but I would have to be very Calm & ave the energy to walk to the car, Get my Camera & walk back.

Not Likely for me :tongue3:

This area in Red

View attachment 1435776

Suggests to me it was Replanted .

probably quickly when he got exited at what it was .

in other words I Believe He Dug it & Wanted to make the pic a Bit Dramatic so he put the Hunk
of dirt with the coin back in.

cool Find !
Trust the Guy until He proves beyond a Shadow of a Doubt he shouldn't be trusted.
As Jeff said...... Accept all finds/posts as real unless you can prove beyond a doubt that it is a fake. This would surely be a dull website if no one posted that fantastic find because they feared someone would question it. TTC

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at these IH pennies and Buffalo nickels - I had land hunters say I cleaned them - I did not
they were found in salt water - all had a thin coating of black on them and with a wipe of my thumb - this is how they came out
the silver in these areas will come out grey - some may have little bits of shell or sand stuck to them - some of these were found in CT. the others in Ma.
a mile down the road from some of these finds - sil.quarter is caked heavily in black and 10k gold ring came out copper colored (copper is one of the alloys used in some 10k jewelry) - have found 10k rings with green on them because of copper in them
so you never know what different conditions will do to a find ---
at old parks and schools - I would look for mossy areas - moss usually grows in good
loam - coins would almost always come out like new when found under it - the soil was usually nice and black - silver would come out clean and copper would almost never turn green ---then I had another school where silver would come out black and pennies and old nickels would come out a dark pink color - think there were chemicals in the soil
Ive been in the hobby since 1975 - and seen coins come out in all different colors

attachment.php

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you recieved this pic would you just accept it? Or would you examine it from a forensic and technical view point?
Personally I find so much wrong here with the pic.
The coin is Shiny! Under the ground for 180 years? Normally they are various shades of green. There is no sign of digging tools. It appears to have had water poured on it? The fine roots dont make sense.
Am I bieng unfair?
Opinions welcome. Fake or not?
After recieving this I doubt all of this persons "finds".
But I have an open mind and am happy to be proven wrong.
Very well could be a Fake find along with some others I have seen. But fake news worries me more.

Jaysix

Dec 14, 2016
Portage, pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac (current)
Garrett At Pro (previous)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont let it bother me. There is a guy on a Facebook page that constantly posts his finds which have on average 5-10 silvers but if you look through the pictures, the same coins show up multiple times. If someone has to post fake finds to make them feel accomplished, more power to them.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dont feel the need to share. my ego is nourished from within. I get even more satisfaction knowing that I found a good virgin site, or even better pulling something good from thrashed ground. Either way sending pics to everyone and posting on facebook etc. just isnt my style.

So what is your style? Taking other peoples pics sent to you in private...then posting them publicly so you can trounce their ethics? Without the slightest bit of evidence?

If you are going to accuse this guy of fraudulent activity....MAN UP and send him a link to this topic so he can at least defend himself. I would sure as hell like to face my accuser if I was this guy.

Dragging this guy through the mud without even the SLIGHTEST bit of proof....AND without letting him defend himself? Seems like the credibility issue lies elsewhere.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't really bother me. Looks to be a British cartwheel penny, not the rarest thing out there. I generally do not take a camera in the field with me. Don't want to ruin the camera getting dirt in it. When I found my gold guinea a few years ago, first thing I did was kick it. Yes, you got that right. Was expecting it to blow away in the wind as I though it was a gold colored top to a kid's drink jug. It didn't kick right. I picked it up (was on top of a sand beach), and after nearly having an OMG fit, set it first on the top of the machine that dug it and took a picture and then set it back on the sand to take its picture. Didn't change the reality I dug a gold coin! On TOP of the ground (sand).

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
To me, the coin looks a bit lifted but that is it. Looks like it could be a legitimate find. You should discuss your thoughts with the gentleman that sent you the pic.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There have been a few busted here posting illegitimate finds. They're no longer here on TNet.

I tend to believe everyone posting their finds here as legitimate. I don't question finds, but there's some serious detectives debunking fakes! I don't find enough keepers to ever post something anyone would question!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread