Fake find? What would you do?

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you recieved this pic would you just accept it? Or would you examine it from a forensic and technical view point?
Personally I find so much wrong here with the pic.
The coin is Shiny! Under the ground for 180 years? Normally they are various shades of green. There is no sign of digging tools. It appears to have had water poured on it? The fine roots dont make sense.
Am I bieng unfair?
Opinions welcome. Fake or not?
After recieving this I doubt all of this persons "finds".
But I have an open mind and am happy to be proven wrong.

Attachments

• IMG-20161001-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20161001-WA0000.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 428
Upvote 0

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think without a doubt some folks post fake finds.
Anyone so inclined can dig a little hole, muss things around, throw a coin in the hole and snap a pic.

That said, condition may or may not be a factor. I and most others have pulled many old coins from the ground that look like they were dropped last week. Silver and old copper can hold their condition amazingly well most times, others times not. All depends on exactly what they were exposed to years and decades underground.
I saw a IHP find pic here recently that I didn't believe, just looks too pristine for any copper, but of course I didn't say anything, and in fact I believe its against forum rules to call BS on a find.

I've never posted an in the field find pic, never crossed my mind. I have at least 1 glove on, pinpointer and digging tools dangling, hands usually a bit dirty, not the best time to grab the cell phone and take a pic.
And for what ? To basically say "See, I'm not lying ... Its in a hole, its got dirt on it, so I really found it !". No thanks, I'd rather wait until I am home, have it cleaned up a bit and have better photo conditions, but to each their own. [I most often detect in the evening and night, another reason I'll never post a field find pic].

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground has a lot to do with it.

I've seen people pull aluminum tokens 70+ years old as bright and shiny the day they were dropped.
I've seen people pull large cents that were brown, no green.

I've seen people pull silver quarters that were black and crusty.

The soil here treats nickels and clad horrible, but is nice to silver.

I've never found a buffalo or v-nickel in good condition.

Do people fake finds? I'm sure. You can make money for youtube views.

OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and become testers for free machines....
thanks for the replies. I also have pulled the same composite and age of coin from different locations with extreme differences in appearance. This pic was sent to me privately and was not posted here.
Aside from the colour and condition of the coin the rest of its surroundings just look staged. The soil is obviously damp in the pic and I just cant believe that a coin from the 1700s can look like this.
I could well be wrong

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soils looks like it's clumped on the coin at the top.

The tiny roots seem normal.

Don't worry about it. You can probably block a user if they are annoying you :)

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i watched my son dig a 1943 steel penny that looked like it was just droped and was 4" deep . i have dug a few that were so rusty so i think that it is possible that it could ...only the one that took the pic knows...

OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just doesnt look like a normal plug. more like an excavation with a brush.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Who cares?

I like seeing real finds and fake finds.

In fact, they're all fake finds unless I dig it myself!

Don't bother giving it a second thought. Is this a competition for random lost crap? Keep your perspective! :coffee2:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who cares?

I like seeing real finds and fake finds.

In fact, they're all fake finds unless I dig it myself!

Don't bother giving it a second thought. Is this a competition for random lost crap? Keep your perspective! :coffee2:

Some people have a low tolerance for liars and drama queens - Faking a find is conduct unbecoming of an adult.
Kinda murky in a forum situation when there is usually no way to prove 100% your suspicions, but that won't stop people from having suspicions, rightly so.
Don't think anyone loses any sleep over it, and sure people are competitive. Haven't you ever been jealous of a find, or depressed when you are on a drought and you see all this great stuff others are finding ?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't usually post finds. I really don't have a need to brag. My number one reason is I've had my place broken into in the past & had some things come up missing over the years. My saying is Dig it up, Put it up, shut up! Even more dangerous are the real thieves - the government. I'll bet if you ask any of the cache hunters here on TNet you'll get pretty much the same response to the question "Have you found any big caches?" A grin & a shrug.

If someone posts a fake find, it's not your problem and it really isn't something to lose sleep over. Just set your goals to do the same or better! You're losing valuable swinging time fretting over this!

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't care if it's fake or real. However, I have studied over the photo, done some pondering, and my conclusion is it's real. I believe the photo was taken with the camera almost or in the hole.
Very fine details of its surroundings that we normally don't see, like the many small roots.
Just saying.....

Cosmo3

Feb 8, 2017
Chattanooga, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Hori-Hori Knife, Gerber Folding Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am fairly new here but in my short time here have noticed especially a poster that posts here seldom but on another site all the time. Almost every post he makes he is bragging about his machine, he also every post has some kind of rare coin, relic, ring, ect. It has caused me to be extremely suspicious of his posts. For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would want to post fake finds.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people have a low tolerance for liars and drama queens - Faking a find is conduct unbecoming of an adult.
Kinda murky in a forum situation when there is usually no way to prove 100% your suspicions, but that won't stop people from having suspicions, rightly so.
Don't think anyone loses any sleep over it, and sure people are competitive. Haven't you ever been jealous of a find, or depressed when you are on a drought and you see all this great stuff others are finding ?

I have a zero tolerance policy for liars IRL. I do not condone faking finds just as I do not condone cheating in sports and see them on par, so I think we're in agreement there.

I suspect the internet is 90% BS and adjust my perspective accordingly.... mostly. :happysmiley:

No, I do not ever become jealous of anothers persons good fortune. I have seen some items that wowed me but I felt happy for the poster - because I suspend my disbelief. Give me a good believable story and some fake finds so I'll be entertained, thanks.

pizk3.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These areas Look natural Enough to Say that Dirt looks Pasted Fast.

IMG-20161001-WA0000.jpeg

This does not Happen in an on the Spot situation.
That dirt looks like it's been there for Years.

I Almost always doubt Insitu Pics. But That is because I grab all and Inspect.
I won't say I Won't take a Real Insutu one day.
but I would have to be very Calm & ave the energy to walk to the car, Get my Camera & walk back.

Not Likely for me :tongue3:

This area in Red

IMG-20161001-WA0000.jpeg

Suggests to me it was Replanted .

probably quickly when he got exited at what it was .

in other words I Believe He Dug it & Wanted to make the pic a Bit Dramatic so he put the Hunk
of dirt with the coin back in.

cool Find !
Trust the Guy until He proves beyond a Shadow of a Doubt he shouldn't be trusted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find alot of good stuff but just dont feel the need to share....because the next question is always...."where did you find that?". I never lost any sleep over something like this I just felt after many hundreds of hours and lots of plugs that it didnt look right. As I say I have an open mind. I myself have dug one of these that was a deep encrusted green. The detail on this coin looks outsanding.
I also spend along time researching sites and simply dont want to share the site. Anyway, its an interesting topic

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snorks, I may have to go with you on this. Other than the stuck on dirt, it is perfectly clean. That seems unlikely. Also, I agree with others that if you spot BS, let it slide. Some people can't help lying, and some aren't very good at it. Do the math on some of the piles of coin you see posted. Physically impossible from the given time frame. But, oh well. This is like sitting around a fire telling tall tales. Mostly embellished with a kernel of truth. Most of the posts I have seen in my short time on T/N I consider legit. A very few are good for a chuckle.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me fake or real it doesn't really matter, I just like looking.

I take that same approach with boobs. :tongue3: :laughing7:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me fake or real it doesn't really matter, I just like looking.

I take that same approach with boobs. :tongue3: :laughing7:

Now that was a funny.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a huge blowup on another forum, a guy posted a near mint flying eagle that he allegedly found, most folks by impulse gave him kudos and congrats, one guy called BS and the s#%t storm started.
I agreed with the guy who called BS and posted a farcical paint shop pic I made myself of a stick figure with a detekter digging a flying eagle, looked like a 5 year old drew it but the message was clear and me and that guy got banned for 2 weeks for doubting the guy.
Someone else found the pics he used on a coin site, so it turned out we were right but the thread was locked then deleted anyhow. Moral of the story - No one wins when someone is busted, almost always best to keep doubts to oneself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread