Utah State Parks metal detecting info

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year I was confronted at a State park about detecting on the beach and decided that it was time to maybe elevate my on going problem with the managers not knowing the rules. Yes, I know the rules but have a hard time abiding by them when the ones that enforce them have no idea how to ensure you are in compliance. I have contacted three different park mangers about obtaining a permit and they all gave me a dear in the headlight look. So, I go detect per their instruction verbally (yes I know bad deal) but for the most part have had no issues. I hate the idea of losing out on hunting grounds (be careful what you ask for right) but this particular situation seems to be a positive way forward...I sent an email!

Absolutely awesome response and very very well written:

Mr. Quinn:

I received a copy of the email you sent to Mr. Mike Broschinsky at the Division of Administrative Rules with regard to metal detecting in State Parks. As you know, the applicable rule (R651-620-6) prohibits metal detecting without a permit. You had indicated that the parks you had contacted for "a permit" were unfamiliar with such a permit. I apologize for the inconvenience. I've cc'd our staff on this email to help put us all on the same page. We receive only a few requests for permits, and it doesn't surprise me that some of our staff are unfamiliar with your request.

There are several reasons for the existence of R651-620-6. In some cases, we manage the land but are not the owner, and thus must fall in compliance with the rules governing the use of the land. Those rules may be contractual or a element of state and/or federal law. In addition, many of our parks sit on sites of historical significance where the recovery of artifacts is again tightly regulated by federal and state law. Hence, recovered antiquities are to be surrendered to park officials. Finally, the Division of Parks and Recreation owns virtually none of the subsurface mineral rights associated with our park areas. Consequently, removal of any find involving minerals or precious metals (i.e. that gold nugget that would make your retirement complete) would be in violation of the law.

With regard to the permit needed, the permit is known as a "Special Use Permit" and can be issued by the Park Manager or his/her designee. The Special Use Permit would detail appropriate and/or prohibited areas for metal detecting, and other rules that are applicable to the individual park site. Some of our Park Managers will be in a position to issue the permit without stipulation, while others will impose significant restrictions. Yet others will decline the permit altogether. That is within their prerogative as the manager of the site, based on their knowledge of the resources.

State Parks are for the enjoyment of the visiting public, and we encourage the broadest use of our park facilities within the existing bounds that have been set. I would encourage our park managers to issue the SUP for metal detecting unless there is a significant reason not to do so.

Like all Administrative Rules regulating the use of the State Park system, this rule has been promulgated by the Board of Parks and Recreation. If you would like to see changes to that rule, you may make a recommendation to the Board at any of their public meetings. If you would like to pursue that opportunity, please let me know and I'll help you with the logistics.

Thank you for your interest in Utah's state parks.

Fred

--

Fred M. Hayes
Director
Utah Division of Parks and Recreation
1594 West North Temple
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114
801-538-7336 (Office)

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I knew going into this that I may stir the bees nest and may risk losing out all together. ....

These are your words. Not mine/ours. Yes: You risk a "self-fulfilling vicious circle" (swatting hornet's nests). You couldn't have phrased it better yourself.

Example: I just hope no one comes and does this in CA, and gets some bureaucrat's thinking they need to invent clearer rules to address any voids/gaps in wording. Because while we don't necessarily have "metal detectors" mentioned in our state parks verbiage, yet we DO have cultural heritage verbiage. And if you asked enough bored archies for definitions (clarifications), they'd come up with the 50 yr. rule. Hmmm.

Yet I can tell you for a fact that you can hunt state of CA beaches here till you're blue in the face. And (gasp) even find coins over 50 yrs. I guess the beaches just got "grandfathered in" 50 yrs. ago. Because it's never been an issue. Even though *technically* there's no reason why their beaches aren't bound by the exact same texts as the inland parks (it's the exact same parks dept. after all).

Moral of the story ? Leave good enough alone. Don't swat hornet's nests.

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Moral of the story ? Let's not ask bored rangers silly questions. Best to look things up for ourselves. If there is no specific and distinct and explicit "no detecting" rule, then presto: Not prohibited. I do not construe any other ancillary verbiage (alter, deface, take, remove, cultural heritage, etc....) to apply. If someone thinks differently, they're more than welcome to come alert me. Otherwise, no, I'm not going to go out swatting hornet's nests.

Maybe I am reading to much into the rule?

You stated that "If there is no specific and distinct and explicit "no detecting" rule, then presto: Not prohibited."

It does say metal detecting is allowed with permit for Utah state parks, so if I go without said permit then I am in violation (legally and morally). This "magic" Permit is an intangible item best I can tell, and the next option is a verbal OK or keep quiet and detect. I now question my integrity. Dammed if I do dammed if I don't.

Last edited:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think when dealing with the state parks is go with "Its easier to ask forgiveness than it is permission" rule on this.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.....It does say metal detecting is allowed with permit for Utah state parks...

You want to be further confused ? Go to here:

Federation of Metal Detector & Archaeological Clubs Inc.

Oh joy of joys, you have a "no" in your column. Eh ? Then click on the name of your state of "Utah". Now you have an "IS" allowed. Albeit "with permit" blah blah. Now click on the Utah index. To see where they drew/got that from . Do you see anything that actually says anything about that ? I don't think so. So are you beginning to think you are getting "commentary" rather than "actual law" ?

Just avoid obvious historical sensitive monuments and bored archies.

Oh, and as for the commentary about "forbidden to remove items from state parks", well gee, I challenge ANYONE in ANY state, to waltz into state park headquarters and say "Hi, can I remove and take things from state parks for my own fun and profit?". And see what they say. OF COURSE this is "boiler plate" verbiage for ALL public land. Was it ever meant to apply to fumble fingers coins? OF COURSE NOT. But could it be, if enough people show up at desks of laywers asking "pressing questions?". Sure. Moral of the story ? Don't ask silly questions, and you won't get silly answers :dontknow:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread