Help me decide please!

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007
Ok so I am a total newb!

Hello all my name is Beale and I live in central NC (Burlington). I am about 3-4 hours fro the beach and the mountains. I have been researching this great hobby now for at least a month. I have $600-700 possible a bit more to spend.

What I am trying to get. I will be doing most of my hunting in this area with a trip or two to the beach or mountains per year for some more hunts. I would like to look for coins, jewelry and some relic hunting if possible.

My question is this. Can one detector do what I need? I want it if possible to be one I can grow into and not out of too quick. I have been reading all the reviews and posts and am trying not to buy the wrong one.

Thanks in advance, Beale Carter.

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a nice machine for that kind of money .Everyone has a favorite detector so everyone will tell you that this is the best machine or that is the best. There is a lot of good info on this site and lots of great machines in your price range. Metaldetectorreviews.com is a good site for reviews that may help with your decision. I like Tesoros for there all around good performance ,lite weight and life time warranty but most name brand detectors will do well. The key with any machine is to spend time in the field andlearn what its telling you . Good luck and HH.

Tony M SE IA

Sep 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minealab Explorer2
;D Look into the higher end Minelab series you can do so much with them to allow you to hunt anywhere and how you want to ! hope that helps happy hunting!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
The White's M6 and Minelab x-terra 70 are good detectors in that range. As previously mentioned, I have heard that Tosoro makes nice detectors with good factory support, but I have not been able to check the Tesoro's out due to the lack of a dealer in my area. Good luck

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Hi Beale:

I am new to this forum thing. I have been an avid detectorist for over 40 years. I have been ask this question a hundred times or more and I will tell you what I tell everyone.
Start with a simple used, analog machine. (one with a meter) not digital. This unit should have three tone I.D. Fisher CZ series 6 or 5 is a great starter. This machine with a 7 and a 10 inch coils can be bought for between 4 AND 5 HUNDRED BUCKS. This machine gets good depth, works good in trash and is easy to learn. I have a prototype CZ6 that I recieved from Fisher 14 years ago, I think and would not trade it for anyother machine on the market. I have seen to many new hunters start with a top end machine and get discouraged because it is to complicated for the beginner. I am not saying you need to be a rocket scientest but it helps. START SIMPLE AND KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Les

Steve G.

Feb 4, 2007
Dallas Oregon
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3
Hi Beale,
You've come to the right place if you want to learn about detecting. There are guy and gals on here that will amaze you with their knowledge and skills. I was a newbie too and this has been a great place for me learn. The one thing I didn't do when I first bought a detector was try out different detectors. If you have dealers around, I would recommend you test drive some different brands. I chose White's brand and I love them, but I never got to see what I might have liked about the other brands. Good luck!

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I would recommend the minelab GT for both gold field and beach detecting.however, it is heavy but you can hip mount it. if you want some thing light i would suggest the tesoro series.

Welcome to the world of MDing!!! :)

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar
I just bought the white's dfx its awesome and they have a specail going with 250 worth of free accessories

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
diggerfororo said:
Hi Beale:

I am new to this forum thing. I have been an avid detectorist for over 40 years. I have been ask this question a hundred times or more and I will tell you what I tell everyone.
Start with a simple used, analog machine. (one with a meter) not digital. This unit should have three tone I.D. Fisher CZ series 6 or 5 is a great starter. This machine with a 7 and a 10 inch coils can be bought for between 4 AND 5 HUNDRED BUCKS. This machine gets good depth, works good in trash and is easy to learn. I have a prototype CZ6 that I recieved from Fisher 14 years ago, I think and would not trade it for anyother machine on the market. I have seen to many new hunters start with a top end machine and get discouraged because it is to complicated for the beginner. I am not saying you need to be a rocket scientest but it helps. START SIMPLE AND KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Les

Man after my own heart, right there. Wouldn't sell my CZ5 for love nor money, and I'm an analog kinda guy in a digital world, LOL!

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
used minelab sovereign with sunray dti ll meter. meter tells you what target probably is (pretty accurate) is very deep and can handle any type ground. killer at the beach. most detectors can handle dry sand but get them into wet saltwater sand and you have to turn sensitivity down thus a decrease in depth and missed targets. the sov can handle wet sand no problem.also has good resale value. i had mine 18 months then decided to upgrade to explorer and had to sell sov to swing deal.i sold it for $50 more than i paid.you should be able to pick one up in the $350 price range. go to www.metaldetectorreviews.net to see what others think of this detector and many other name brands....good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread