cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No such thing as an "average" class ring. The purity of the gold, what it's alloyed with, and it's size will all alter the reading. It will between a nickel and a quarter if that helps any! :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, just dig all mid tones that give a solid target ID, maybe varies by 1 digit or less. If they are jumpy, they are more than likely a cheap alloy.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I found a monster class ring that was .925 silver with 18K inlays....it range up really high...thought for sure I was going to dig up a silver dollar or something. One the other side of this, I've found 10k class rings that registered in the penny range. That's the problem with gold, just too many different alloys and content amounts to rely on VDI, or even tones for that matter.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
when was the school abandoned ? The practice of class for boys high schools was, I am guessing 1950s at the earliest. You will notice that very few high school class rings are posted that pre-date the 1960s. Maybe colleges had the practice earlier ? To answer your question: The typical boys high school gold class ring will read in the low tab to higher range. They will not read down into the ladies ranges of nickel to foil, IMHO.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never dug a mans 10k ring but I still have my old 10k class ring from the 60's plus 2 10k gold rings I wear on a daily basis and have air tested several times with 2 Whites detectors (mx5 and m6 ) and they both consistently read 42 or 47 VDI.

From reading many a t pro posts where VDI numbers were given on dug items that I knew how it would read on the Whites I noticed these 2 different brands read very similar. I have a macro racer 2 that I air tested one of my 10k rings on just yesterday and it read 31, exactly where a nickel comes on it, whereas a nickel is 20 on the Whites. Ground conditions could change this picture though.

Don

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
C'mon, Truth. You're not a new guy. (don't take this the wrong way) Asking what the average gold class ring would read is to ask what does your average high schooler look like. White, Black, Asian, Native American... etc. So many variables. Try this (really!). Go to a large jewelry store with your detector. Tell them you are helping a friend find his class ring. Ask them for the most popular size men's(... here we go with variables again) class ring and pass it by the coil to establish a "starting" number. They will be glad to help out. Suggestion: take pictures of your finds - good and bad - and record the display results. Build a data base of the displays and other pertinent info. Categorize your finds on your computer into specific file folders. Or get a generic data-base template to do it. After time, you'll have those answers. TTC

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
C'mon, Truth. You're not a new guy. (don't take this the wrong way) Asking what the average gold class ring would read is to ask what does your average high schooler look like. White, Black, Asian, Native American... etc. So many variables. Try this (really!). Go to a large jewelry store with your detector. Tell them you are helping a friend find his class ring. Ask them for the most popular size men's(... here we go with variables again) class ring and pass it by the coil to establish a "starting" number. They will be glad to help out. Suggestion: take pictures of your finds - good and bad - and record the display results. Build a data base of the displays and other pertinent info. Categorize your finds on your computer into specific file folders. Or get a generic data-base template to do it. After time, you'll have those answers. TTC

I got my friend to do it with his ring from 1988. He's an average size guy with average sized hands at 14 karat the ring hit at a 57-58 on the ATP. Needless to say my dreams were shattered anyway with all clad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never dug a mans 10k ring but I still have my old 10k class ring from the 60's plus 2 10k gold rings I wear on a daily basis and have air tested several times with 2 Whites detectors (mx5 and m6 ) and they both consistently read 42 or 47 VDI.

From reading many a t pro posts where VDI numbers were given on dug items that I knew how it would read on the Whites I noticed these 2 different brands read very similar. I have a macro racer 2 that I air tested one of my 10k rings on just yesterday and it read 31, exactly where a nickel comes on it, whereas a nickel is 20 on the Whites. Ground conditions could change this picture though.

Don

Thanks Don

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when was the school abandoned ? The practice of class for boys high schools was, I am guessing 1950s at the earliest. You will notice that very few high school class rings are posted that pre-date the 1960s. Maybe colleges had the practice earlier ? To answer your question: The typical boys high school gold class ring will read in the low tab to higher range. They will not read down into the ladies ranges of nickel to foil, IMHO.

It was abandoned after Katrina and it was founded at that location in 1871. In 1871 Holy Cross moved to its historic site, which then was a farm named St. Isidore's farm, and built a renowned "collegiate-styled campus" and opened in 1879 its current school, bordered by the high Mississippi River levee. IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1488.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_1489.JPG IMG_1851.JPG

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to have great potential. Research the heck out of it. Sure to be places on that property that saw most of the activity, especially adult activity. That school might not have been the first structure on the property, etc.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got a GREAT site there! Step back a moment. imagine where on the grounds they would have gathered. Statues, cement/stone benches, sloping ground to river or pond, memorial stones, etc. LOTS of places to look! Keep us posted, good or bad. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incidentally, check out my banner find of a CLASS RING lost (and returned) after two years.
OOPS! Called it a banner. Just an honorable mention. TTC

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was abandoned after Katrina and it was founded at that location in 1871. In 1871 Holy Cross moved to its historic site, which then was a farm named St. Isidore's farm, and built a renowned "collegiate-styled campus" and opened in 1879 its current school, bordered by the high Mississippi River levee. View attachment 1437055 View attachment 1437050 View attachment 1437051 View attachment 1437052 View attachment 1437053 View attachment 1437054

Neat place, Seems like I remember someone posting pictures of it here on Tnet in the last couple years..

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat place, Seems like I remember someone posting pictures of it here on Tnet in the last couple years..

Yeah it was me. I decided not to take a picture of the stolen Malibu that was stuck in the grass behind the school with a broken window. Lol

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just going back over this tread again admiring the uniqueness of this place. I could come back to it time and time again especially if I found some nice silver and gold for encouragement.

Hope a caretaker mows the place for you so you can sweep low.
GL and HH

Don

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was just going back over this tread again admiring the uniqueness of this place. I could come back to it time and time again especially if I found some nice silver and gold for encouragement.

Hope a caretaker mows the place for you so you can sweep low.
GL and HH

Don

Hey Don here's another very old interesting house on the next block on the levee IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1493.JPG

I did find one silver ring there. I want to class ring so bad it's on my bucket list but this wasn't one of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread