Charged with Vandalism and Looking for Guidance

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in the middle of a terrible metal detecting experience that I wanted to share and get some feedback on.

I was recently detecting on the common of the town I live in, something I and others have done many times before and which is not prohibited by the town bylaws. While retrieving a target I was approached by a police office who yelled "Hey a**hole, what the hell do you think you are doing?" I explained to him that I was metal detecting the common and reiterated that it was not illegal to do so. He asked for my license and called it into the station and then told me to leave and that I was forbidden to be on the common and that I should expect a summons in the mail.

Two weeks later I received said summons and was charged with vandalism, which is a felony in my state. I immediately hired a lawyer and waited for the arraignment, which occurred last week. The police report cited damage to the grass and potentially the sprinklers, with the evidence being photos the officer took after I left showing what a typical, neat filled in hole looks like.

I have subsequently taken photos of the area I was digging showing that no damage was done.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Any ideas on how to fight this charge?

Upvote 0

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a bunch of bs.lol cops here don't care what you do, so busy with the thug life in the hood. They pulled up on me and told me to be careful this is a bad area

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have a wheelbarrow of dirt and a pull tab in the courtroom for visual effects on how you dig......that will give them firsthand knowledge of your intentions....and give them a mess to clean up.....

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sounds like you were digging in NJ.
So many senseless tickets being written just to bring money to the coffers....

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This whole thing is absolutely insane, combined with absolute lack of common sense, and sadly, it could probably happen anywhere, not just in Mass. And the officer?, Could have been an "Archaeologist" dressed in police officers clothing. And jrmazzeo, no real humor meant, it is a humorless situation

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't read all the posts so maybe this was already mentioned: All arrests/court cases in all states are public record. You can actually push a printer into a repository of the local laws/cases of local arrests and get a copy of the arrests and court trials. Take the cop's name(s) and search his/their arrests. If there is a pattern of abuse (defined: unlawful arrest) you may have a case that may go way beyond this particular incident. It may mushroom into a harassment case! Good for us, not good for the cop. I can see you driving a new jeep with a sign on the back, "Thank you officer 'Joe Blow". TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread