Share your Expertise. What is The Best First Detector?

xhunterx

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Detector(s) used
F22
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Everyone :),

I just started MD as a hobby. I've been reading a lot on the topic and have decided to invest in my first detector. I'm primarily interested in relic hunting and heard a lot about the Fisher 1266x. I know its an older model, but would anyone still recommend a used 1266x in 2017 if it is under $200? My budget is under $250.00

Any other recommendations are well welcomed!

Upvote 0

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Ace 250. I still love mine. It is almost indestructible and once you know how to use it, you'll be ready for any other machine. I've nearly worn the bottom off the coil. It's not the best with depth but it's good in trashy ground. It's in your price range too. Good luck.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've owned and used extensively both the Fisher 1260X and 1265X. Great machines, pulled silver dimes at 10" with the 1260X, and the 1265X is just a solid and capable. I went through a bonfire site full of nails plucking coins out. The 1266X was introduced as an upgrade if my memory is correct, but I never purchased one or used one.

In my opinion, I'd buy the 1266X before I'd buy any entry level modern machine.

OP
OP
xhunterx

xhunterx

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Detector(s) used
F22
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi XtreasureX, thanks for the reply. I have also heard good things about the Ace250. Good to hear a field report, I will definitely look into it. :)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Ace 250. I still love mine. It is almost indestructible and once you know how to use it, you'll be ready for any other machine. I've nearly worn the bottom off the coil. It's not the best with depth but it's good in trashy ground. It's in your price range too. Good luck.

I'd have to agree, given the budget limitations. I have a couple of friends who have 250's as backup machines and they do very well considering the cost. And to add, we recently started an "Indiana Dirt Diggers' group (on facebook) so I get to see "a lot" of entry level machines in action in the field and the Ace 250 is, by far, the best entry level machine out there so far. As xtreasure noted, it's also been the least frustrating machine for new users to learn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xhunterx

xhunterx

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Detector(s) used
F22
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Appreciate the vote of confidence DeepseekerADS. I'm always surprised at the quality of "retro" and "vintage" tools over the more modern brands and models. Did you do any relic hunting with the 1266x?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Appreciate the vote of confidence DeepseekerADS. I'm always surprised at the quality of "retro" and "vintage" tools over the more modern brands and models. Did you do any relic hunting with the 1266x?

I still have both my 1260X purchased '83-'84 and it still works great, though a little worn, floppy - I really do need to do some fixing on that. Purchased the 1265X off TNet early last year and used that on a number of hunts. It was pristine when I received it, rock solid.

Still love them both.

If you lean towards the 1266X, I assume you'll check it out before handing over any cash. I owned an ACE250 a few years back, gave it to my cousin. Won't ever give away my Fishers! You've two discrimination controls, called notching. You set it so you dig pulltabs (that's where gold is), and the other to get rid of the big iron.

I went to a park full of clinkers, and my Garrett couldn't go there. I read about the Fisher's capability in heavily mineralized soil, bought the 1260X and went into that park plucking coins, the first of which was a Walking Liberty half.

Edit: I dug a whole lot of relics along with my coin finds. In fact, that was one of their advertising approaches = relics.

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your total budget for detector, pinpointer {You Really Want One} and digger, you are not going to get much. The Tesoro Compadre is 2.2 pounds, one knob{GREAT} discrimination, LIFETIME WARRANTY for $160 and for another $110 get a Garrett Propointer, and then find $40 for a Lesche Digger and go show up the big boys with their high price machines! You will be amazed with the Compadre!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll agree with Steve on this if you decide against the 1266X. Tesoro builds some mighty good machines.

OP
OP
xhunterx

xhunterx

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Detector(s) used
F22
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If your total budget for detector, pinpointer {You Really Want One} and digger, you are not going to get much.
, thanks for the reply IndianSteve, $250.00 is my budget for the main detector. I have a separate budget for my pinpointer and digger.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Why don't you go to Youtube and watch metal detecting videos for entry level ones in your price range? Make sure you watch some on the Compadre, and the 1266X. They're there, just search by name.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest the Fisher F22 which has a unique smaller footprint waterproof coil and the control box is weatherproof so you don't have to worry about the rain. It operates on 2 AA batteries which are cheaper and easier to come by than 9 volt batts. It has excellent depth and wonderful discrimination and allows for a lot of custom user control as well. $229 out the door and, since I ordered from Kellyco, they included headphones, a really nice Leshe style digger, day pack, and a lot of other extras that are very useful. I am very happy with mine so far. Good luck in chosing as there are many very capable machines out there.

OP
OP
xhunterx

xhunterx

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Detector(s) used
F22
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Will do, thanks for the all the suggestions and help!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are other used machines that might fit your budget too. Look around for good deals on some of the older White's machines too, such as an Eagle 2, Spectrum. XLT, etc.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first real detector was the White's XLT. I bought it off ebay and if you shop carefully you might get one for $250. This machine allowed me to really learn the finer points of metal detecting and to run with "the big boys". It's programable and IMHO as good as the best coin shooter ever made. It takes time to learn but for me that was 50% of the fun! I bought it 15 years ago, still use it, still love it. Hope this helps, Tt

Last edited:

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be alone on this one but...
My first setup was a harbor freight 9 function and pin pointer.
I spent under $50 for everything with a 25% coupon. I was willing to risk the $50 just in case it was something I wouldn't gravitate to.

The HF 9 Function is a single tone discriminating machine. The depth is decent to mediocre. Overall, the machine paid for itself at least twice over and what's more important, it forced me to understand how to adjust a detector to make it work the way I wanted it too. It really made me want to learn more, and it was simple enough to keep me going.

For such a small investment, I literally challenge anyone to find a better machine for double it's selling price.

It's truly a great, basic machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you're satisfied with surface finds and don't need any options or longevity, but, IMO, twice a piece of junk is still a piece of junk. The ones I've seen at the store are all made in China and have that cheap feel and look to them. In a modern urban park setting, I think most people would get frustrated trying to get them to find good targets over junk ones.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro under $300 new, & often available used; Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro around $200 new; Teknetics Digitek $129 (detects coins to 7"); Fisher F44 $349 new, but about $250 used; Teknetics Delta 4000 $199; Teknetics Eurotek Pro with 8" concentric coil $219, or with 11" DD coil $299 new & under $250 used; Teknetics Gamma 6000 new currently $299 but was $239 new price, around $200 used; Bounty Hunter Platinum 1 dealer was selling for $299 new, but used ones are often available for $200 or so. Lots of choices, you can compare them at metaldetectorreviews.net/ Best wishes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread