Need Advice on New Detector

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My upgrade plan has now become a return. Something has happened to my F-44 where it's now going nuts when I turn it on and ground it (starts throwing numbers out all over, 20's, 30's, 40's even up to 80's on small movements and even if I keep it still). Needless to say I'm sending it back to where I got it and getting refunded the purchase price.

I'm going to go ahead and set my new limit at $600 and wanting to see what you guys recommend for a new unit.

The common trend around the forums seems like the AT Pro. I've also had in another thread a recommendation for the Patriot and MX Sport. I'd like to keep the price down to about $600 if at all possible. MX is just out of that. AT I've found at about $550.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Explorer SE. You'll get a deeper machine that gives you more info about the target.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq or Vaquero, dig and peep machines but if the peep is good , just dig. Don't use my Fisher Goldbug DP or Teknetics Omega 8000 anymore and always grab my Lobo Super Traq (ps : i'm a parc, recreation area,playground detector)

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a distributor anywhere local that you can go to put you hands on any of these to try? If not, Check out some of the You Tube videos and see what you can find on the units that you are considering. I have the MX Sport, I bought it used from someone who could no longer swing it because of health issues and got it for a good price. There is a comparison of the AT Pro and the MX Sport on there along with videos for most every type you could hope if you search a bit. A good refurbished unit might be a good choice and you can check to see if like Kellyco or one of the other sellers has and refurbished units at a discount with a warranty and maybe a package of digger, pouch, etc. Nothing ventured,nothing gained. I know there are a lot who use the AT Pro. Good Luck and hope you find one that fits your needs and ends up making for better hunts.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need it to be waterproof, the AT Pro is a good all around machine. Depending on where you plan on hunting, and what you're looking for, there may be other (better) choices.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may not be the detector. if you have a electric dog or security fence or a neighbor's could make it go crazy. Another detector would do the same.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
They have electric dogs now?

It may not be the detector. if you have a electric dog or security fence or a neighbor's could make it go crazy. Another detector would do the same.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a reason why the AT Pro has been received so well and that's because it performs well and it has filled a long voided niche in the market, this being that it's both an affordable land and water machine with good capabilities. Not only this but its versatility also allows for the swapping of coils which can be really useful as the conditions you encounter experience change. For the money and for what it offers I don't think you can beat the total value in the versatility and performance that it offers.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mx sports extra price is soooo worth it, don't discard the idea of it yet! Truly pleased with this machine

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would look at the X Terra 705 I have been using it for going on 10 years and have never felt the need to upgrade to a different detector to me its one of the most under rated machines on the market I have the AT PRO and for me I have never been that impressed with the ATP but the 705 I still find myself learning new things about it no it is not water proof but it is a vary cape able machine,the X TERRA 705 is a true multi purpose detector machine with a true prospecting mode,and coin and relic mode just my opinion though

OP
OP
Primus Palus

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No electric dogs nearby ( :P ) and no fences either. I had previously searched and dug in the same exact spot, and then I went to two other locations and the detector was going crazy (throwing up numbers every which way no matter if it was moving or not). The only thing I can think of, the coil went bad or maybe something else happened to it. I'm good with my stuff and didn't bang it around, drop it, etc. So not sure why the sudden change. It was working great for me then just kicked itself into stupid mode (I even factory reset it which did nothing).

I ended up settling on the AT Pro based on all of the feedback on the forums, YouTube, etc. I'm going to give it a solid run this week and next (when it arrives in the next two days) and see how it goes. I've not ruled out the MX Sport though, and maybe I can pick up a second detector later with that being the one I grab. Still hoping my wife gets into this with me and I have a good excuse to buy more. :P

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No electric dogs nearby ( :P ) and no fences either. I had previously searched and dug in the same exact spot, and then I went to two other locations and the detector was going crazy (throwing up numbers every which way no matter if it was moving or not). The only thing I can think of, the coil went bad or maybe something else happened to it. I'm good with my stuff and didn't bang it around, drop it, etc. So not sure why the sudden change. It was working great for me then just kicked itself into stupid mode (I even factory reset it which did nothing).

I ended up settling on the AT Pro based on all of the feedback on the forums, YouTube, etc. I'm going to give it a solid run this week and next (when it arrives in the next two days) and see how it goes. I've not ruled out the MX Sport though, and maybe I can pick up a second detector later with that being the one I grab. Still hoping my wife gets into this with me and I have a good excuse to buy more. :P

First thing, take the AT to the same locations where you had trouble with the other machine and if you still have a problem then you're dealing with some type of EMI. I know several locations where you can hunt it one day but not the next due to the EMI from some unknown source.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See you made your decision and ordered so my comment is a little late. I seldom see a Whites mx5 mentioned on forums. It's a tad over $500 but only coil is waterproof and several search coils can be had (I have and use 4). I've had mine 1 1/2 years and like it a little more all the time. Even seen a video where a guy with a AT Pro tried one and stopped just short of saying he thought it competed right with the pro.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread