cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about any machine will find those. I'd put them down at least 8", add a little fertilizer to accelerate the formation of a halo around the targets to more accurately simulate an older target. Freshly buried targets just don't read the same otherwise. Make sure you separate them enough so their signals don't interfere with one another. At least 3 feet if you have the room.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, look in the garden section for the green stakes that are used for holding down weed barrier cloth. I used a soldering iron to mark them with what's there and depth. Helps when you forget where your lines are and get a little carried away with the tiller or misplace your drawing / map and have a memory like mine! I've got a few 1lb cans of scrap engine block from a car fire buried at 6' 10' and 13' Ran out of extensions for the gas post hole digger. Works great for testing deep seekers and two boxes. Cudamark has a good idea with the fertilizer. Didn't think of that. I just used a cup of vinegar with a half spoon for the small ones. One and a half cups of vinegar and a heaping spoon of salt.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put a quarter at 8" and a nail at 4" just off to one side. See if you can get a signal on that quarter. Play with settings until you get the best hit and keep those in mind to trashy sites.

I also have a one ounce musket ball at 10" and a 12" quarter in mine.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated above you want to locate each item so that 2 years from now you can ID them/////
After 2 failures I started in line between 2 trees and 2 ft apart--I can still find this one-after 8 yrs -Perry

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to put multiple target metals in one hole (ex. multiple coins, coin & iron, etc.) be sure to take a picture before you bury them. You might also consider burying shallow bottle caps, foil, sinker, even pull-tabs for testing too. And don't forget the zinc pennies at different depths! It would be a blessing to learn to ID those without digging. Tt

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made a map and used different colored plastic golf tees to mark them. All in a single straight line a foot apart beside my driveway.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, look in the garden section for the green stakes that are used for holding down weed barrier cloth. I used a soldering iron to mark them with what's there and depth. Helps when you forget where your lines are and get a little carried away with the tiller or misplace your drawing / map and have a memory like mine! I've got a few 1lb cans of scrap engine block from a car fire buried at 6' 10' and 13' Ran out of extensions for the gas post hole digger. Works great for testing deep seekers and two boxes. Cudamark has a good idea with the fertilizer. Didn't think of that. I just used a cup of vinegar with a half spoon for the small ones. One and a half cups of vinegar and a heaping spoon of salt.

That should work good too, as long as it doesn't kill your landscaping! :laughing7: You just want something to break down the target a bit to simulate the natural degradation of the metal. I haven't had to make a test garden for my 2 box. I just turn it on and pick up my car across the street! :laughing7:

OP
OP
F

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW some great ideas that i didn't think of ,,thnx for all the help guys..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread