Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Treasurenet.

It would depend on the depth and type of soil. Up to 12" a good "hobby" metal detector would do. Small coil and higher frequency for the gold flakes & larger coil, lower or multiple frequency for the silver coins. No idea about Platinum coins or Palladium. Platinum would read lower on the TDI scale than gold, closer to tin. You'd want to search in All Metal for that. Unless you are in Russia or Canada I wouldn't worry about stumbling on Palladium. You'd detect the aluminum from the outer shell of the catalytic converter far before the Palladium (about half of what is mined is used in catalytic converters).

Deeper than 12" you might want to get into a pulse induction and over two feet a two-box detector unit.

Good hunting.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am looking for advice on what type of metal detector to buy. I know the location within a 15 meter radius and type of metals.

Treasure:
- Platinum Coins
- Gold Flakes
- Silver Coins
- Palladium

These are separate locations at an unknown depth. Thanks in advance!

You might consider renting one from a local dealer. They might also be able to help you with your detector selection. Tt

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I would likely start griddling with a GPR 4 times equally greater than the known area, map it all out really well, and then move forward from there.

Just my thoughts, sounds like a cache from the heavens and I would want to make sure that I did not even sneeze on it wrong.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It also depends on the quantity of the metals you listed. Eg.: how MANY "platinum coins" ? and how MANY "silver coins" etc... Are you talking a single coin or two ? Or are you talking caches ? If so, how big of a stash ? Soda can sized container ? Toaster oven sized container ? etc....

And in this "15 meter radius circle", is it in the "middle of nowhere" ? Ie.: middle of forest or desert where there's no other human influence in history ? Or are you in some sort of populated suburbia zones ? If so, then be aware that your metal detector is going to start beeping on everything else that's metal too. So I'm not sure how junky your site is . There are tips to deal with this (depending on the size of the target you suspect). So you need to tell us more info.

Also: Are you sure about "platinum coins" ? Platinum was only rarely ever used for coins (and it was not successful and was discontinued) for actual circulation. So the only "platinum coins" that are out and about, are just bullion collectible "rounds" type stuff. Google "platinum coins" wiki, and then look at the portion on "history", and you'll see that the few countries that tried platinum (instead of gold and silver) for coins, was short-lived and only experimental. So what makes you think you've got "platinum coins" ? Are you on the trail of some modern investor's buried stash or something ?

OP
OP
K

knowntreasure

Apr 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet.

It would depend on the depth and type of soil. Up to 12" a good "hobby" metal detector would do. Small coil and higher frequency for the gold flakes & larger coil, lower or multiple frequency for the silver coins. No idea about Platinum coins or Palladium. Platinum would read lower on the TDI scale than gold, closer to tin. You'd want to search in All Metal for that. Unless you are in Russia or Canada I wouldn't worry about stumbling on Palladium. You'd detect the aluminum from the outer shell of the catalytic converter far before the Palladium (about half of what is mined is used in catalytic converters).

Deeper than 12" you might want to get into a pulse induction and over two feet a two-box detector unit.

Good hunting.

Thanks for the info.

You might consider renting one from a local dealer. They might also be able to help you with your detector selection. Tt

Good thought, looked it up and found a nearby store that rents.

It also depends on the quantity of the metals you listed. Eg.: how MANY "platinum coins" ? and how MANY "silver coins" etc... Are you talking a single coin or two ? Or are you talking caches ? If so, how big of a stash ? Soda can sized container ? Toaster oven sized container ? etc....

And in this "15 meter radius circle", is it in the "middle of nowhere" ? Ie.: middle of forest or desert where there's no other human influence in history ? Or are you in some sort of populated suburbia zones ? If so, then be aware that your metal detector is going to start beeping on everything else that's metal too. So I'm not sure how junky your site is . There are tips to deal with this (depending on the size of the target you suspect). So you need to tell us more info.

Also: Are you sure about "platinum coins" ? Platinum was only rarely ever used for coins (and it was not successful and was discontinued) for actual circulation. So the only "platinum coins" that are out and about, are just bullion collectible "rounds" type stuff. Google "platinum coins" wiki, and then look at the portion on "history", and you'll see that the few countries that tried platinum (instead of gold and silver) for coins, was short-lived and only experimental. So what makes you think you've got "platinum coins" ? Are you on the trail of some modern investor's buried stash or something ?

There are roughly 30 coins, in a remote area. Platinum Eagles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread