The Truly Seasoned Detectorist

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I admit it, I'm still learning the hard way. For instance, in the past I have been critical about the technique of cherry picking, the notion that missing potential targets while employing this tactic just being to too risky to employ. Well, I'm starting to rethink my stance very seriously these days and here's why.

The other day I was hunting a couple of parks, still digging every good signal I encountered and as a result of employing this practice I walked away with two small 10k heart shaped pendents that I would have otherwise missed had I been skipping all the pulltabs, etc. Was it worth it? HELL NO!

Sure, it was worth it when I was 20,30,40, and even in my early 50's but at 59 I just can't take all the continuous squatting, kneeling, bending over, digging, etc., my hands and knees and lower back reluctantly stiff and aching this morning.

Now I know what it's like to be a truly seasoned hunter, and notice I chose that word “seasoned” very carefully. I chose the word seasoned because my knew-found respect for the technique of cherry picking has nothing whatsoever to do with experience or knowledge, but rather it's simply a factor of age and the passing of the seasons.

Only now do I understand why the industry is incorporating so many user friendly features and conveniences in their machine designs, things like signal boost and GPS tracking, the first being so us old farts can actually hear those faint returns and the second being so someone can find us if we happen to break a hip while out in the field.

Go figure....today I woke up and I'm actually embracing the technique of cherry picking. Today I woke up a truly seasoned detectorist. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish...Advil would be nice but after the heart surgery they told me I couldn't take all that stuff anymore. :BangHead:

How about Vicodin?:laughing7: I actually find it easier to hunt land vs. beach. Even with a nice Stealth scoop, walking miles in dry sand or battling the surf takes it out of me more than some deep knee bends on land.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
How about Vicodin?:laughing7: I actually find it easier to hunt land vs. beach. Even with a nice Stealth scoop, walking miles in dry sand or battling the surf takes it out of me more than some deep knee bends on land.

Boy, I'll say! Some days that large expanse of sand feels like the desert.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I'll say! Some days that large expanse of sand feels like the desert.

Yup. Land hunting works my quads pretty good with the constant squatting, but, the beach works my feet to my hips and everything in between. My left shoulder feels it too with working that scoop full of sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread