The Truly Seasoned Detectorist

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I admit it, I'm still learning the hard way. For instance, in the past I have been critical about the technique of cherry picking, the notion that missing potential targets while employing this tactic just being to too risky to employ. Well, I'm starting to rethink my stance very seriously these days and here's why.

The other day I was hunting a couple of parks, still digging every good signal I encountered and as a result of employing this practice I walked away with two small 10k heart shaped pendents that I would have otherwise missed had I been skipping all the pulltabs, etc. Was it worth it? HELL NO!

Sure, it was worth it when I was 20,30,40, and even in my early 50's but at 59 I just can't take all the continuous squatting, kneeling, bending over, digging, etc., my hands and knees and lower back reluctantly stiff and aching this morning.

Now I know what it's like to be a truly seasoned hunter, and notice I chose that word “seasoned” very carefully. I chose the word seasoned because my knew-found respect for the technique of cherry picking has nothing whatsoever to do with experience or knowledge, but rather it's simply a factor of age and the passing of the seasons.

Only now do I understand why the industry is incorporating so many user friendly features and conveniences in their machine designs, things like signal boost and GPS tracking, the first being so us old farts can actually hear those faint returns and the second being so someone can find us if we happen to break a hip while out in the field.

Go figure....today I woke up and I'm actually embracing the technique of cherry picking. Today I woke up a truly seasoned detectorist. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ibuprofen 800mg....... just a thought. :thumbsup:

TreasureHawk

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep on detecting and just have fun. Everyone has their own style and technique.
Embrace your "cherry picking" and enjoy life.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what grandchildren are for! :notworthy: :laughing7:

Give em your detectors, scoops, and pouches, tell 'em bring back everything they find. If they have any rings, chains, pendants, then they will get "paid" for their day of helping out g-pa and/or g-ma metal detecting.
Everyone that participates will get ice cream at the end of the day. :laughing7:
You can always supervise from a cabana, with a refreshing adult beverage (if they doc will allow that).
Oh heck, one won't kill ya...... :BangHead: will it? :icon_scratch:

I'm trying to apply that logic to lobster hunting, too.
Gotta find some really small wetsuits, masks, and fins. :laughing7:

"I'll watch that shark for ya, now go get them lobsters....."! :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, I admit it, I'm still learning the hard way. For instance, in the past I have been critical about the technique of cherry picking, the notion that missing potential targets while employing this tactic just being to too risky to employ. Well, I'm starting to rethink my stance very seriously these days and here's why.

The other day I was hunting a couple of parks, still digging every good signal I encountered and as a result of employing this practice I walked away with two small 10k heart shaped pendents that I would have otherwise missed had I been skipping all the pulltabs, etc. Was it worth it? HELL NO!

Sure, it was worth it when I was 20,30,40, and even in my early 50's but at 59 I just can't take all the continuous squatting, kneeling, bending over, digging, etc., my hands and knees and lower back reluctantly stiff and aching this morning.

Now I know what it's like to be a truly seasoned hunter, and notice I chose that word “seasoned” very carefully. I chose the word seasoned because my knew-found respect for the technique of cherry picking has nothing whatsoever to do with experience or knowledge, but rather it's simply a factor of age and the passing of the seasons.

Only now do I understand why the industry is incorporating so many user friendly features and conveniences in their machine designs, things like signal boost and GPS tracking, the first being so us old farts can actually hear those faint returns and the second being so someone can find us if we happen to break a hip while out in the field.

Go figure....today I woke up and I'm actually embracing the technique of cherry picking. Today I woke up a truly seasoned detectorist. :laughing7:

You're gaining (?).
In time a single park may suffice. And cherry picking mean finding that just right bench in the shade. Just for a short break. Or two. Or another nap.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the years there's been numerous threads concerning "dig it all" and "cherry picking". I often start digging it all or mostly until I begin to get tired, then become more picky. There's no law I'm aware of that says you can't detect however you want.
luvsdux

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... Go figure....today I woke up and I'm actually embracing the technique of cherry picking. Today I woke up a truly seasoned detectorist. :laughing7:

Nah, you just woke up old. That only happens to the lucky ones. :occasion14:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we sometimes forget how laboring land detecting can be when we've grown use to hunting the beaches with those long scoops. :laughing7:
Up here the ground is often like concrete, tree roots all over the place, multiple pieces of trash in most every hole,........god, how I miss those long clean beaches!.....:laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, lemme help ya out with that...... :laughing7: :tongue3:

office1.jpg office2.jpg

I also call it, "The Office". :laughing7:
My official position: #1 beach bum. :laughing7:
Yeah, it's a tough life, er, I mean job, but, someone's gotta do it. :dontknow:

Why was I thinking you were from the Ft. Myers area..... :icon_scratch:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... hey "scoop"... did you ever think of using one... ? a scoop that is.

Anyway...
I have designed something to help ya out big scoop...

This way... you can just reach down and grab it... :P

:)

beach hunting.jpg

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... hey "scoop"... did you ever think of using one... ? a scoop that is.

Anyway...
I have designed something to help ya out big scoop...

This way... you can just reach down and grab it... :P

:)

View attachment 1443051

Believe it or not I've those rigs in action on the beach near my old Florida home.....use to follow them and pluck up the goodies they missed. :laughing7:

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish...Advil would be nice but after the heart surgery they told me I couldn't take all that stuff anymore. :BangHead:

Maybe you should move to CO or OR.......its legal here!! Lowers BP too, just say'n..

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should move to CO or OR.......its legal here!! Lowers BP too, just say'n..

Wish I could, in fact, was preparing to head that way but the heart attack upset those plans. Now, well, the granddaughter would have a fit if I moved. :laughing7:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I went to an old public housing area a few years ago. Local detecting club had hunted it hard, but ignored all cent targets, looking only for silver. My friend got a mixed cent reading beside a sidewalk. Dug a wheatie and rechecked the hole. Now had a large sweet signal. Dug a little deeper and pulled out a walking liberty half! Goes to show what happens if you ignore those iffy signals!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever thought of just bringing your scoop to the shopping centre, and just snatching the coins out of the fountain/wishing well?

You could so easily play the deranged old man that didn't know any better?

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread...sometimes I'm in the mood to dig EVERYTHING!..and sometimes not so much. Had a weird hunt thst kinda threw everything i knew and/or believed in out the window...been hunting medium sized park...the usual-clad, trash..the older the clad then the deeper it was..NO silver..and not for the lack of trying, I dug every decent signal and was digging plugs in the 8 inch range pulling mid to late sixties clad...after my 3rd or 4th trip there I spied a very small, very unassuming little patch of (public) property across the RR tracks. Not maintained, very rough ground...but within 30 seconds BAM 56 GW...next hole BAM Merc...both 3 inches or less. So between 3 of us, we've pulled right under 30 silvers from this little patch of crusty ground, the deepest was MAYBE 5 inches. TONS of trash, mostly brass fittings, taps, hardware, valves etc...Face value of silver dug about tripled the face value of clad...weird..very weird. Fill? I don't know. More than once I could pinpoint the target from the surface and actually retrieve it by digging with my fingers. Silver...at 1-2 inches. Just about the time we think it's dried up, one of us bags 3 to 4 silvers in a few hours. I can't explain it, don't want to...but just saying that this spot is bass-ackwards from all others...thx very much..Ddf

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stooping. kneeling and the digging is part of the reason I stay at it at 73+. I know at some point I won't be able to but I like to think that the very fact that I am will distance the day I can't. In my youth the wife and I would hunt sunup to sundown. Now, it's 2 or 3 hours at best but. I can go that everyday. I then offer this verse as true to my form. "When I was in my prime I used to do it all the time. But now that I'm old and gray I do it but once a day". So true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread